British Speedway Forum
bullet

The Stags Ride Again!

Great news, be interesting to see what team will be put together with Poole involved. Could Lee Smart be one signing as link up with Poole or is he Plymouth bound?

Great news, be interesting to see what team will be put together with Poole involved. Could Lee Smart be one signing as link up with Poole or is he Plymouth bound?

cant see the point in adding Lee to a team with the intent on developing riders for the future!

Great news ,but they will need some heat leaders from somewhere ,are there any left. ? .A team of rookies would get slaughtered even at home, for some time, till they improved,,and an enthusiastic bunch of fans could soon dissapear,if that was the case..... I just hope they can put out a competitive team ..

• Like 1

Only a matter of time if the NL Draft works we will have a lot more teams in the NL which will develop even more talent, 9 teams means we have already got 7 more riders.

We're onto a winner if it works and the national league needs to be taken more seriously

Great news ,but they will need some heat leaders from somewhere ,are there any left. ? .A team of rookies would get slaughtered even at home, for some time, till they improved,,and an enthusiastic bunch of fans could soon dissapear,if that was the case..... I just hope they can put out a competitive team ..[/quote

folk said that last time and within 18 months we won the league...you dont need heat leaders....you need to produce them

• Like 4

While its great to see another team in this years NL, its bewildering why Poole couldn't of come to some arrangement to prevent the IOW from folding!

Even more bewildering when Pooles not that far from the IOW while its a mighty distance to Scunthorpe!

Still fingers crossed the IOW can sort something out!

I'd rather the IOW were saved and Scunny didn't have a NL team cause British speedway would still have 1 more track!

Being greedy lets hope the IOW can keep going!

This is great news for the National League and fair play to Matt Ford for identifying (not before time) the need to invest in British youth. This doesn't mean that he has an exclusive on riders brought on by Scunthorpe, as they can still only protect one asset per season, in the draft. It just means he has first option.

While its great to see another team in this years NL, its bewildering why Poole couldn't of come to some arrangement to prevent the IOW from folding!

Even more bewildering when Pooles not that far from the IOW while its a mighty distance to Scunthorpe!

I'd rather the IOW were saved and Scunny didn't have a NL team cause British speedway would still have 1 more track!

Ford is tapping into the talent identified by the training schools at Scunny - nothing more.

• Like 2

Maybe its Scunnies ability to bring the young kids on that attracts Poole. The thriving amateur scene and practice sessions provide more opportunities for rider progression than at most tracks. I guess Scunthorpe offers a better proposition in that respect. Maybe the concept of this arrangement will inspire another Elite League outfit to form some alliance with IOW and maybe save speedway at that venue.

Great news ,but they will need some heat leaders from somewhere ,are there any left. ? .A team of rookies would get slaughtered even at home, for some time, till they improved,,and an enthusiastic bunch of fans could soon dissapear,if that was the case..... I just hope they can put out a competitive team ..

I think if you read the press release it wont be, for now. Lets hope riders stick with it and don't dissppear down the money route, like previous seasons. The 15 and 16 year olds seem to have a problem sticking with scunny, as opposed to the older Moto X converts, and their idea of a 2 year plan. Probably with a nod from Poole it may give them that incentive.

Lets hope the venture works.

How do you know he didn't?

• Like 1

This is great news for the National League and fair play to Matt Ford for identifying (not before time) the need to invest in British youth. This doesn't mean that he has an exclusive on riders brought on by Scunthorpe, as they can still only protect one asset per season, in the draft. It just means he has first option.

Ford is tapping into the talent identified by the training schools at Scunny - nothing more.

Would you really prefer it if he'd left things as they were?

This is a win-win situation for both clubs. British Speedway and a fair number of aspiring riders.

• Like 1

Triffic news.

This is the positive side of the new NL reserves rule in the Elite League, as if it wasn't for that you wouldn't have seen the likes of Matt Ford getting involved in this sort of project. As it is there are seven more spots open to a potential future GB rider in this years NL. Thumbs up all round.

Also, from a personal point of view, it'll be great watch some new recruits grow and progress at the EWR this year. I remember the 2010/11 team with great affection........ let's hope we unearth a few more rough diamonds.

I have to say on this news I am surprised Williamson Phillips and Shuttleworth have signed for other clubs as Scunny regulars but maybe they mean even more 'rookie' than them. It will be interesting to see the team build.

Scunnies tactics in the past has been mainly rookies with a coach. Waynne , Stuart and Buzz Burrows. Competitive racing tuition by a senior seemed to work wonders. Maybe the Stags will go down the same route? I am shocked that we didn't use Williamson but maybe this way he'll get used to more tracks. I just hope this venture works and more young Brits rise to the top, so in the not too distant future we have a strong GB team for us fans