British Speedway Forum
PolskiZuzel

Speedway Champions League ?

Just because British and Danish teams are pitifully weak doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to compete, er, or at least to take part.

Not that many years ago, "The New Saints FC" (Welsh football champions) took part in football's Champions League, and could have faced Barcelona or Real Madrid. In the end they faced Liverpool, but that's the luck of the draw for you. Similar gulf in class but they were allowed to play.

Who is saying anything about British or Danish clubs not being entitled to compete????? :blink:

You are comparing chalk and somthing hard + white that isn't chalk.Of course a lot of minnows enter the Champions League and most get knocked out in the preliminaries,but the nitty gritty of the Champions League isn't some small Welsh club against Barcelona.That is just a quirky news item.The Champions League wouldn't be able to sell itself if that was it.It sells itself on Barcelona v Bayern or Dortmund v Arsenal etc.That is how it attracts tv coverage,sponsors and fans.This however it as far as the speedway Champions League goes and has to sell itself to fans,sponsors and tv on Zielona Gora v Esbjerg etc.If the balance of teams isn't right it will be hard to get anyone interested

• Like 1

the reason I think it could of worked in 70s was because, the crazy doubling up/riding in 3 countries didn't exist..

a rider was a 1 team rider, sides had a proper team feel to it....today, a rider could be up against his own team, to me, that wouldn't make it a proper competition..imo

The FIM were the ones behind it the first time as well. Even though the CCP has had a drastic makeover, rest of the speedway world really hasnt and thereby the same problems excists and this will be a no go.

the reason I think it could of worked in 70s was because, the crazy doubling up/riding in 3 countries didn't exist..

a rider was a 1 team rider, sides had a proper team feel to it....today, a rider could be up against his own team, to me, that wouldn't make it a proper competition..imo

I take your point...and thanks for replying.

My view is that even today, when "things are not what they used to be" there is still a chance of working out who should ride for whom. As it was explained in my second post. I always believe that "if there is a will, there is a way".

I AM hearing that the proposal was for a one-off meeting featuring the Champions from Denmark, GB, Poland and Sweden at Poole but now seems unlikely to take place.

In the situation of riders racing in more than one country, the question of which team is given precedence was to be solved by a priority of 1) Rider Nationality; 2) whichever club the rider has been riding for/contracted to/an asset of. the longest.

So for example, a club such as Poole would have first call on riders such as Holder and Ward.

But that would just make the whole competition look stupid. How an earth would it have any integrity if Holder didn't ride for Piraterna (a club he is riding for this season) and instead rode for Poole (a team he no longer rides for). You may as well enter an Australian team as nationality trumps all in that list.

I AM hearing that the proposal was for a one-off meeting featuring the Champions from Denmark, GB, Poland and Sweden at Poole but now seems unlikely to take place.

Mr. Rising, I am aware that you are in position where you are hearing a lot of things,

but would you kindly say "B" when you already said "A" and tell us why that proposed "one-off meeting" is unlikely to take place.

No doubt we would also love to know the source of that hearing.

Thank you.

Was this originally planned for Peterborough before they pulled out of EL?

The issue of course would have been that almost all the top riders raced in Britain as there was only one major league - im not sure that would have made for a better champions league. What are your thoughts on tge world club t20 competition, which faces the same issue with regards to players potentially qualifying for multiple clubs - a proper competition?

Mr. Rising, I am aware that you are in position where you are hearing a lot of things,

but would you kindly say "B" when you already said "A" and tell us why that proposed "one-off meeting" is unlikely to take place.

No doubt we would also love to know the source of that hearing.

Thank you.

I AM sure you don't expect me to reveal any confidential source ... unlikely to take place because the costs are too high and such a meeting at Poole even with a crowd of around 4,500 (just about their max) would simply not be viable.

Was this originally planned for Peterborough before they pulled out of EL?

DON'T think so ... it seems that the idea is to have the meeting at the home of line of the participants rather than a neutral venue.

is that cricket you are on about t20? if so I have no view or opinion on cricket....I was talking bout speedway, and no, I wouldn't find

euro cup credible with mix n match teams

I AM sure you don't expect me to reveal any confidential source ... unlikely to take place because the costs are too high and such a meeting at Poole even with a crowd of around 4,500 (just about their max) would simply not be viable.

DON'T think so ... it seems that the idea is to have the meeting at the home of line of the participants rather than a neutral venue.

Sorry got it mixed up with this rumour, which is very similar

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75264&page=3&do=findComment&comment=2383222

Edited by Noodles

Depends on how "own team" is defined in speedway I suppose!

yeah, have no probs with competition, just don't see it being credible in the mainstream..elite has soo many

things wrong with it, and think euro would be in same mould..

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't know that your sources are confidential... still it's a great pity than even with a ( a possible) crowd of around 4,500 organizing such an event is not viable for Poole promotion.