British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
James 12345

Riga Gp Tickets 2014

Are you suggesting a conspiracy?

certainly not. Just pure coincedence.but a full report will surely follow after his hearing.

I feel sad for Darcy Ward as he is a great talent. Hope he can channel it properly in future seasons.

Do we get a prize!

As feared we have now "achieved" the hat-trick of going to the three cancelled GP's. All as a consequence of poor track preparation, not as a direct result of the weather. When will they learn? Cardiff last year was a very close call and Tampere was barely fit for purpose.

You can see that there was a dramatic improvement in the stadium in Riga but why is the most important bit, the track, left to chance? We travelled hoping for the best, we weren't encouraged by the total lack of posters or adverts anywhere in the city, was it really going to happen? Well obviously not and of course everybody passes the buck and the beleaguered fans are left to make other arrangements or give up.

Very disappointed with the support offered by SGP/BSI (whoever) for the fans who make a big effort to support these events. Would coaches have been too much to ask for? Or even show details of how to get to Daugavpils to help those fans who wanted to go. An Edinburgh fan in our hotel said he spent all Saturday afternoon on his lap top trying to sort out the best way to get there! Not sure I've even seen an apology on their website. I'd also suggest that just offering your ticket money back (once you've jumped through hoops) is not really adequate compensation, surely they could have tried a bit harder.

All in all yet another bad experience and one that proved to be the final straw. We are already commited to Stockholm but that will be our final GP.

• Like 3

I agree to the above post and when I visited Saturday morning the Stadium had clearly been improved.

The track preparation was a shambles but pretty much down to a failure to clear blocked drains earlier in the week.

BSI were clearly trying to deflect blame onto the local promoter but in my view it was largely BSI's fault as they failed to properly oversee matters.

It would seem BSI were also hoping they could blame the weather on Friday and Saturday. Well I was there both days and on Saturday they were watering the track in the morning. There is no way a few cloud bursts on Friday or Saturday should have had any impact at all. It doesn't at Malilla or Vojens and other GP circuits. I suspect BSI were really hoping Saturday's weather would be so atrocious they could then hide behind that as a reason for a call off. Well they came unstuck!

I wonder when they decided to actually call the meeting off as it was certainly 'off'' well before it was officially announced. It would have been better to have known on Friday thus affording those in Riga more time to make plans to go to Daugavpils. Also it would have prevented many from needlessly flying out on Saturday morning. No thought at all given to the fans.

As oleoleole says surely it would not have been too difficult to give some help or guidance to those fans in Riga in terms of laying on a few coaches or even just providing some information on the possible alternative ways of making the trip. I was fortunate enough to be able to sort out a way of getting to Daugavpils but speaking to many in Riga and at the airport on Monday it was clear a large number didn't even entertain attempting the journey.

Finally, to make matters worse the Darcy Ward situation then deflects much of the heat from BSI and overshadows their incompetence.

Now awaits post(s) in defence of BSI

• Like 3

ONLY a part of the track, on the outside and well away from bends one and two, was being watered on Saturday morning and at that stage no decision had been taken either about practice or the meeting going ahead.

It was the decision of the FIM Jury, including the referee and Race Director, along with BSI and the local promoter around noon on Saturday that no amount of remedial work could salvage the track, particularly in view of the impending rain which duly arrived (photo in Speedway Star this week). There was a delay of around 60 minutes before making an official announcement while it was determined whether the TV trucks could get to Daugavpils and accommodation could be found before rubber-stamping the move.

The choice was between a total cancellation or moving the event to Daugavpils. Not satisfactory for many, of course, but the idea that BSI could lay on transportation, not knowing how many fans (not just British of course) there were and where they were, is a simply not practical. But as far as the promoters, BSI and the FIM were concerned it was the lesser of two evils.

Please don't think I am not sympathetic to all those who lost out in every sense last weekend because I am.

We was in Riga, and as paying fans we were treated with contempt by everyone concerned with organising the GP. No information how to get to Daugavpils, not a thought of any additional cost after already paying for flights, hotels etc. It was ok for all those that go for free and have everything organised for them, but for the fans it was another kick in teeth.

It was also the last straw for us as well, I'm not adding any more money to the coffers of BSi, no more GP's for us, next year will be beach holidays only!

• Like 1

Thanks for the response Phil but I feel at the very least there could have been more help for those stranded in Riga even if it was just information.

I am well used to getting myself around Europe for Speedway but I have to say that Saturday afternoon challenged me somewhat to come up with a solution for myself and six others travelling with me. Thanks to some help from our Hotel we did source a minibus which is not an easy thing to do at the best of times especially at a weekend and when there is a very short notice period.

Unfortunately many were not as fortunate as me and there were many disappointed and upset fans I bumped into over the weekend and on Monday.

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response Phil but I feel at the very least there could have been more help for those stranded in Riga even if it was just information.

I am well used to getting myself around Europe for Speedway but I have to say that Saturday afternoon challenged me somewhat to come up with a solution for myself and six others travelling with me. Thanks to some help from our Hotel we did source a minibus which is not an easy thing to do at the best of times especially at a weekend and when there is a very short notice period.

Unfortunately many were not as fortunate as me and there were many disappointed and upset fans I bumped into over the weekend and on Monday.

AS I say, do sympathise with those who couldn't make alternative arrangements.

Fully accept that many like to make their own arrangements but once again the value of going with TravelPlus was quickly evident. James Easter ensures there is flexibility in their trips in the event of what we saw in Riga. His punters were not scheduled to fly until Monday so instead of a city tour of the capital on Sunday their coaches were able to travel to Dauigavpils and back without any great hassle.

Also, it would be wrong to think that the re-arrangement wasn't a very costly exercise for the FIM, BSI and of course the actual promotion.

AS I say, do sympathise with those who couldn't make alternative arrangements.

Fully accept that many like to make their own arrangements but once again the value of going with TravelPlus was quickly evident. James Easter ensures there is flexibility in their trips in the event of what we saw in Riga. His punters were not scheduled to fly until Monday so instead of a city tour of the capital on Sunday their coaches were able to travel to Dauigavpils and back without any great hassle.

Also, it would be wrong to think that the re-arrangement wasn't a very costly exercise for the FIM, BSI and of course the actual promotion.

What about the price of aTravel Plus Tour though,you could travel round the world for some of prices they quote.

What about the price of aTravel Plus Tour though,you could travel round the world for some of prices they quote.

BUT you get a whole host of benefits from a registered travel company and many other extras for which hundreds of speedway fans are happy to go the extra mile financially ... People make their choice and on this occasion those with TP will feel that their money was well spent.

BUT you get a whole host of benefits from a registered travel company and many other extras for which hundreds of speedway fans are happy to go the extra mile financially ... People make their choice and on this occasion those with TP will feel that their money was well spent.

When you arrange to travel to what is meant to be part of World Event you certainly don't expect it to be re-arranged at a DIFFERENT VENUE but that's speedway these days the fans are second thoughts.

Just proves the old pals act of look after your own is all that matters, ......a nice advert for Travel Plus!

Sorry Phil Rising but I can't take your sympathy very seriously

• Like 1

Are people supposed to be sympathetic? BSI have once again demonstrated a substantial lack of supervision over the organisation of a GP, especially given the optimistic timescales for revamping a derelict venue. Despite the weather being a convenient excuse, it's now quite apparent where the blame lies for yet another fiasco.

To pass the buck is such a manner is astonishing, and to compound it by suggesting that travelling fans should have gone with a favoured tour agent, even more so. There should be a reasonable expectation that an event takes place in the time and place as advertised, and whilst every speedway fan appreciates that the weather can intervene, it's quite apparent the track was I adequately prepared.

people make their choice and on this occasion those with TP will feel that their money was well spent.

Or on another occasion you might be left at a train station in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 2

Philip Rising!!

So disappointed with your response to the shambles in Riga, "well you should have gone with Travel Plus"....ffs

Why? Why should we have to go with a travel company just in case SGP are incapable of putting on a speedway meeting. We have been fortunate enough to go to many meetings in Europe; league, WC & GP and part of the fun is planning and exploring these places on our own, not to mention the cost. For reference; Travel Plus 3 nights in Riga = £479, we went for 5 nights for £320 and before you mention transfers etc a bus from the airport was about €1.00, taxi €3.50/each. The whole city is walkable and that particular weekend all public transport was free because of the city birthday celebrations. Also our hotel, according to Tripadvisor, was rated higher (9th) than the Travel Plus hotel (24th) and the price included afternoon coffee and cake and an evening buffet meal if you wanted it.

I used to regard your posts as an informed calm amongst the tittle tattle but I think you underestimate how let down and annoyed those who try to support these events feel and trite comments such as yours just rub salt in to the wounds.

It used to be fun to follow speedway but it is becoming more and more exasperating, disappointing and frustrating, no wonder there are fewer of us around now.

And another thing!

Why is the Speedway Star incapable or unwilling to take SGP to task when these events go wrong.

The main story should have been, "Hundreds of fans left stranded in Riga as GP is moved 230 kilometres due to sheer incompetence". See page 7 to find out why.........

By the way regarding the costs incurred by BSI/SGP etc. I hope it cost them a fortune!

• Like 8

Philip,

Can I suggest a phrase containing the words: holes digging and stop.

You appear to be oblivious to how much ill will you are generating. To suggest we need our hand holding while travelling in the EU is somewhat insulting, and to belittle the frustration felt by a group of fans who can and probably do contribute a substantial amount to British speedway by way of sponsorship is foolish.

• Like 3

That's as bad a response you can get rom Philip Rising here. Not sure if Malky Mackays texts or Phillip Risings response here is worse?

To say you should have gone with TP tours is absurd & a huge insult to the people who got screwed over. If that's BSI response then it's a disgrace.

The event beforehand looked as though it was going to be a shambles & the lack of professionalism by BSI making sure everything was running ok is there for all to see.

I certainly wouldn't travel to any overseas GP' s if that is the attitude of BSI. Not worth the risk.

I hope BSI lost a hell of a lot of money last weekend.

Edited by Chris
  • Like 2