British Speedway Forum
phillipsr

Which Rider Have You Never Taken To?

Some years ago my lad attended a training school run by Nicki Pedersen. You would never meet somebody who is so different to his public persona. He clearly enjoyed working with the kids and couldn't do enough to help, he worked on bikes, push started kids and explained everything really well. All this in some pretty horrible weather, shame to ruin the image but he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

Bloody ruthless on the track but one of the riders I would always be happy to pay to see ride.

When people say they don't like Nicki I always ask them, if 4 Nicki Pedersens were in one race while on another track 4 Greg Hancocks were the track behind that which race would you watch? The 4 Mr Nice Guys who will gate and ride around following each other or the race that will see all 4 hit the first behind together 1 or 2 of them going own and as they do he has his hand in the air protesting to the before hes hit the floor while the ones who stay on ride past them and spray them with shale for having the audacity to crash out. Then in the re-run the one in gate 1 runs so wide to block the other eh ends up at the back and we all laugh. They spend a couple of laps aiming for each other. They make it to lap 3 before one of them crashes out in spectacular style on his own so runs the length of the straight to pick up his bike and collapses on the centre green while the remaining 3 go into the 1st bend for the last time and the one in the inside aims for the one outside him taking him out. The crowd boo as he just wiped the other out but boo the other for going down because anyone else would have stayed on and he's "playing the referee". The winning Nicki tries around laping up the attention while the one who is excluded strops off, rings the referee, has a rant and then when he slams down the phone as a wry smile as he knows all along he was to blame. Meanwhile Greg has finished, packed away and everyone has gone home bored yet those watching Nicki (x4) are wound up, annoyed but fully entertained.

I love to hate Nicki. And I'm sure Nicki loves that I hate him too. But it'll be a sad day when he retires.

When people say they don't like Nicki I always ask them, if 4 Nicki Pedersens were in one race while on another track 4 Greg Hancocks were the track behind that which race would you watch? The 4 Mr Nice Guys who will gate and ride around following each other or the race that will see all 4 hit the first behind together 1 or 2 of them going own and as they do he has his hand in the air protesting to the before hes hit the floor while the ones who stay on ride past them and spray them with shale for having the audacity to crash out. Then in the re-run the one in gate 1 runs so wide to block the other eh ends up at the back and we all laugh. They spend a couple of laps aiming for each other. They make it to lap 3 before one of them crashes out in spectacular style on his own so runs the length of the straight to pick up his bike and collapses on the centre green while the remaining 3 go into the 1st bend for the last time and the one in the inside aims for the one outside him taking him out. The crowd boo as he just wiped the other out but boo the other for going down because anyone else would have stayed on and he's "playing the referee". The winning Nicki tries around laping up the attention while the one who is excluded strops off, rings the referee, has a rant and then when he slams down the phone as a wry smile as he knows all along he was to blame. Meanwhile Greg has finished, packed away and everyone has gone home bored yet those watching Nicki (x4) are wound up, annoyed but fully entertained.

I love to hate Nicki. And I'm sure Nicki loves that I hate him too. But it'll be a sad day when he retires.

Very hard on Hancock to be honest, totally different riders a hypothetical point to compare both my take on it is Hancock has done things always the right and fair way has Pedersen?

It would be great to watch 4 Nicki's in a race, bet it wouldn't run for 4 laps!!!!

• Like 2

Very hard on Hancock to be honest, totally different riders a hypothetical point to compare both my take on it is Hancock has done things always the right and fair way has Pedersen?

No, and that wss part of scbs point. The other being which rider is most entertaining and generates most tslking points.

Pedersen is the modern day kenny carter in my view, but with three world titles to show for it.

I take nothing from what Hancock has achieved. To win two World titles as a great achievement, to win two World titles so far apart even more so. To win it at 42 was a great achievement. He's clearly a great speedway rider, one of the best ever and hopefully my mention of him on this thread doesn't make anyone think I'm discrediting him. In fact I'd almost says it's a compliment of sorts that he's achieved what he has in such a manner.

But, how many memories do people have of Greg Hancock? Compare that to Nicki!

I take nothing from what Hancock has achieved. To win two World titles as a great achievement, to win two World titles so far apart even more so. To win it at 42 was a great achievement. He's clearly a great speedway rider, one of the best ever and hopefully my mention of him on this thread doesn't make anyone think I'm discrediting him. In fact I'd almost says it's a compliment of sorts that he's achieved what he has in such a manner.

But, how many memories do people have of Greg Hancock? Compare that to Nicki!

Pedersen not a fan never have been,i admire what he has achieved in the sport but he has sometimes pushed things to the limit and got away with murder.He for me was like Roy Keane was in football could dish it out but was not very good at taking it.

Even by disliking him tho Sidney you care enough to raise an emotion. Greg is a brilliant rider but he just doesn't raise an emotion for me at all i neither like or dislike him

Pedersen not a fan never have been,i admire what he has achieved in the sport but he has sometimes pushed things to the limit and got away with murder.He for me was like Roy Keane was in football could dish it out but was not very good at taking it.

And hancock is gary lineker - some people get sick if being told how clean and nice he is.

Fwiw I like greg, have friends who know jsdon bunyan and he brought greg round to meet their son whi is a big ffan.

Id rather watch nicki or darcy though, no matter how much I may dislike their on and off track behaviour.

And hancock is gary lineker - some people get sick if being told how clean and nice he is.

Fwiw I like greg, have friends who know jsdon bunyan and he brought greg round to meet their son whi is a big ffan.

Id rather watch nicki or darcy though, no matter how much I may dislike their on and off track behaviour.

I was a big Mike Tyson fan so i know what it is like to be a supporter of a flawed star.As much as i liked Tyson and admired what he did for boxing in the mid 80s.Most people i would presume would admire Ali more because of how he generally conducted himself and the way he went about his business.

I was a big Mike Tyson fan so i know what it is like to be a supporter of a flawed star.As much as i liked Tyson and admired what he did for boxing in the mid 80s.Most people i would presume would admire Ali more because of how he generally conducted himself and the way he went about his business.

I certainly did. :t::approve:

Even after he converted to Islam. :shock:;)

I just don't like the way that Darcy Ward rides. Not a lot of skill level but a great deal of speed. With no consideration to any other riders on the track. His control over the bike is practcally non existant. Giving it far to much thottle and the bike goes onto the back wheel and at times into other riders. I just wished now after the years he has raced at Poole and around the world he would by now have started to use his brain, if he actually has one. If he can't slow it down then at least learn to control the bike a bit more. He would then be a great rider.

Wtf?????????????? Darcy Ward...........pure class on a bike and in 37 years of following the sport I have never seen any rider as naturally talented..............

Can't gate to save his life though............

RP

The Pedersens for me Nutty Nikki for obivous reasons and Bjarne who is only interested in riding for himself and not the team!!!

As much as I am a Rye House fan, I'm not a fan of Tyson Nelson, it all started off when he came over and demanded to only be called Nelson, no first name, just Nelson, then the alleged scuffle with Steve Boxall the day before the 2011 Press and Practice Day (where I arrived at the stadium and saw a couple of police cars, nothing was said on the day, but I found out what happened eventually), then refusing to take his sunglasses off on said P&P day (because he had a black eye from the previously mentioned scuffle), he was a decent reserve for that year, then he was refused a visa for the 2012 season, so all went quiet, then when he came back last year, he was back to his usual Aussie self, there was a few pics posted on twitter where he stuck a cigarette in Len Silver's mouth as he was taking a nap in the pits at Scunthorpe (he's old, he has an excuse), then placed a traffic cone on his head.

After the 2013 season, he posted a video where he was setting off fireworks towards houses.

So glad he's been refused a visa again this year.

• Like 1

As much as I am a Rye House fan, I'm not a fan of Tyson Nelson, it all started off when he came over and demanded to only be called Nelson, no first name, just Nelson,

Well, it must be annoying to know that you are named after a mad ear-biting rapist!

Well, it must be annoying to know that you are named after a mad ear-biting rapist!

Perhaps that was part of his visa problem??