British Speedway Forum
phillipsr

Which Rider Have You Never Taken To?

I find Greg Hancock quite boring to watch as well, whereas I thought his twin Billy Hamill was brilliant to watch.

The wrong one retired!

I think the two were linked to be honest. I think it was Bruce who predicted that Billy would be World Champion sooner but wouldn't last as long (or something like that) thanks to their very different riding styles.

For the record I am a big fan of both, not surprisingly, and seeing them team ride was a definite highlight. Especially pleasing when it was on a 5-1 at Monmore against Sam/Ronnie/PK etc and they were comfortable enough to switch from outside to inside lines through the bends - there must be a video of that somewhere?

• Like 1

Did I read rightly in a recent interview that Matt Ford once tried to become a rider (briefly).

If so, he qualifies :)

• Like 5

Perhaps wrong to speak ill about the dead, but it has to be the late Kenny Carter. Watching him race, he had no regard for fellow riders and engaged in truly dangerous moves, often going for "gaps" which didn't exist.

Given how he died, I don't think you need apologise

Given how he died, I don't think you need apologise

Are you kidding? So if someone murder someone and kills themselves you think they're beyond any criticism in life? Far from it IMO.

Are you kidding? So if someone murder someone and kills themselves you think they're beyond any criticism in life? Far from it IMO.

I might be wrong, but I don't think that's what he was saying...........It's certainly not how I perceived it :)

• Like 4

It's just SCB reading things that aren't being said again. That 'I Was Wrong' T-Shirt must be worn out by now. :wink:

• Like 1

I think you would be hard pushed to find any Glasgow supporters who wouldn't say Morris and I don't mean Nick. :mad:

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 1

Always thought Michael Lee was overrated and imo was the worst culprit for continually pushing the tapes to gain an unfair advantage at the start.

Was quite pleased when some refs eventually cottoned on to this and scuppered his start antics.

Once this happened, his results tapered off and he resorted to being a petulant victim of these "nasty referees" :P

• Like 1

There's been quite a few down the years!

Sean Wilson being one!

Another was Alan Mogridge...... then I interviewed him after the Fours at Workington for the GRTMedia DVD, in one of his last meetings before retiring...... I nearly apologised to him half way through the interview, as he was a thoroughly nice bloke to interview (unlike some!!).

Always thought Michael Lee was overrated and imo was the worst culprit for continually pushing the tapes to gain an unfair advantage at the start.

Was quite pleased when some refs eventually cottoned on to this and scuppered his start antics.

Once this happened, his results tapered off and he resorted to being a petulant victim of these "nasty referees" :P

So was Ivan Mauger overated then? he was probably the greatest roller on earth but he was still a great rider.The starts then added to the excitement for me and often riders got punished by themselves by being left at the start.Now i hate the starts a rider anticipates the start skillfully yet it gets dragged back often stopping the flow and the excitement of the meeting.

There are many, many negative words which could be used to describe Michael Lee but I don't think overrated is one of them.

• Like 2

Ole Olsen when I was a young Brummies fan - just because he was too good for us.

More recently, James Grieves - never a popular visitor to the OTA.

Eddie Kennett (Cheater)

Nicki Pedersen (Vile / Dangerous)

Chris Harris (Dangerous)
Ben Baker (Nob)

Hans Andersen (Embarrassment to himself)

Peter Kildemand (I'll be honest, I just don't like his face. Looks too much like Shrek)

Lewis Bridger (I've been warming up to him a little, but still a massive pikey)