British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islander15

Leicester Join The National Trophy

Firstly it is great to see Leicester enter the NT. Hopefully it proves a great success and they join the league full time for 2015.

It is however right for people to question their proposed use of riders already signed up to NL sides. There would be benefits yes, however two stumbling blocks are what happens when averages change? And also more importantly, what happens when there is a fixture clash? In a tiered league system there are rules in place but in two different competitions at the same level what happens with regards to facilities for absent riders etc and who gets priority (presumably the league club)?

There are riders out there that Leicester can sign who are unattached, hopefully they will use those as it not only gives the fans their own team line up to identify with but it fixes up 7 more riders as well. If the Leicester NT side is completely different each time they take to the track because their riders are riding for their actual NL sides the fans will vote with their feet and NL will never flourish there.

Unattached riders could be signed with in the first few weeks if there are injuries (touch wood) etc. So unless the trophy is run before any League meetings that may not work either.

It's a difficult one. Hopefully people will see it for what it is and want to see the standard of racing rather than the set up. A lot of Lions fans already travel to NL tracks to watch so hopefully it will take off and to be fair a trophy is a little more meaningful challenge matches, I suppose. If Lions fans want to see NL at Leicester they will turn up if they don't they wont and the promotion will get their answer.

Unattached riders could be signed with in the first few weeks if there are injuries (touch wood) etc. So unless the trophy is run before any League meetings that may not work either.

It's a difficult one. Hopefully people will see it for what it is and want to see the standard of racing rather than the set up. A lot of Lions fans already travel to NL tracks to watch so hopefully it will take off and to be fair a trophy is a little more meaningful challenge matches, I suppose. If Lions fans want to see NL at Leicester they will turn up if they don't they wont and the promotion will get their answer.

The Trophy is generally scheduled as a pre cursor to the league, however the sides that don't compete in the Trophy will start their league programme whilst that Trophy is in progress.

If the Leicester side is made up of currently unattached riders then they won't be unattached riders once they've signed haha!

Whatever happens I hope it is a success, the NL is a fantastic league and the sport in this country needs more tracks operating at this level.

I see that the SS have missed Leicester out in their National Trophy preview ?

Team is.

1.sarjeant

2.dan greenwood

3. Perry

4.clegg

5.olly greenwood

6.shanes

7.woolley

Just announced at Leicester

I would be happy to a tenner to watch that team next Sunday.
  • Like 1

I would be happy to a tenner to watch that team next Sunday.

All the best to the Lion Cubs hope they put on a good show next Sunday

Edited by TMW