British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Benefit Fund Bonanza, Leicester 09/03

You're right that the promotion need to address track issue but despite the fact that there have been four seasons of criticism from both Leicester fans and those across the country as far as I can see they have done absolutely nothing but brush the criticism aside.

Isn't it true that the track has been modified twice? Recently, and also last winter?

Isn't it true that the track has been modified twice? Recently, and also last winter?

If it has then they have the wrong people doing it,seriously not rocket science on what needs doing but the promotor disagrees with the paying public and said his track is superb.

That's where the problem lays.

• Like 1

no, it was modified last winter by moving the white line what appeared to be about a foot on the entry and a foot on the exit. You can google the alteration on youtube should you wish to be amused. This was going to be a major alteration done by Glyn Taylor but ended up a £200 job done by Co-promoter Dave Darcy on a saturday morning. Unfortunately i had bought two season tickets, along with a sponsorship based on the former happening (much as i had done after similar promises the previous year).

It hasn't been changed at all this year as far as i'm aware, but was supposedly recently getting relaid (although my uncle took a look up there a couple of weeks ago when it was supposed to be happening and told me he thought it didn't look like it had been touched).

Edited by volty

The best thing is set up a group and get numbers signed up and present the information as a one body to the promotion.

That at least spells out in no uncertain terms just what fans expect.

Moaning and whinging on here is likely to achieve nothing.

The people who set up the Leicester project and build a superb venue for speedway should be applauded. Has anyone considered how much money it takes to make the changes necessary??

As so called `fan` experts perhaps they could advise the type of track/size/dimensions would make there viewing experience better?

I don't think that would make the slightest difference. The promotion are well aware of what people think - and it certainly isn't a few whiners with axes to grind - but basically brush it aside.

I think everyone was delighted when Leicester came back and I have never seen any post that has been anything less than praiseworthy about the stadium.

While I have read the cost of changing the shape would be prohibitive Robert has a point: How much is it costing not to do so?

I have to say I am not totally convinced its all about the shape anyway. Newcastle has long straights and tight bends but you can see good speedway there, and more to the point I have seen a good meeting at BP, back in 2012 against Scunny. The track had a lot of loose shale on it that day, and I haven't seen it the same since.

I don't think that would make the slightest difference. The promotion are well aware of what people think - and it certainly isn't a few whiners with axes to grind - but basically brush it aside.

I think everyone was delighted when Leicester came back and I have never seen any post that has been anything less than praiseworthy about the stadium.

While I have read the cost of changing the shape would be prohibitive Robert has a point: How much is it costing not to do so?

I have to say I am not totally convinced its all about the shape anyway. Newcastle has long straights and tight bends but you can see good speedway there, and more to the point I have seen a good meeting at BP, back in 2012 against Scunny. The track had a lot of loose shale on it that day, and I haven't seen it the same since.

your right about Newcastle and also powderhall was long straights tight bends but it was shaped differently to BP.

I think you will find people were willing to pay for changes to the track after the first and second season but DH refused to make the changes needed.

I think most of the problem is that the track is always very slick. I think more dirt might help.

I think nearly all the points re volume of shale providing grip v slick surface reducing the opportunity for passing etc are spot on. The troble I have is understanding what the balance is between the two in conjunction with the shape of the BP track.

We all have our ideas and opinions, but we are not exopert. To that end it would be great if a suitably qualified track biuld/maintenance guy could be found to provide his views.

Any chance of thi shappening?

Haven't had time to trawl through every post since the meeting, but from what i've seen it's mainly negative. I've been to Leicester speedway around half a dozen times, that was probably one of the better meetings I've seen there.

As for the parking, it wasn't ideal. We turned up 90 minutes before the advertised start time and parked in the industrial estate, around 10-15 minutes walk. Security at the shopping centre were guiding us away from their car park, although I noticed a fair few ignoring the requests. The queue at the gate was long, around a 15 minute wait for us, but that has to be expected for these type of meetings. At least the weather was decent.

I'm not gonna mention the track shape as this has been done to death over the past couple of years. Can't change it now, just deal with it.

Good to see so many turn up for a worthy cuase, we estimated 3,500-4,000

Wolves has been a long established track and club and Leicester is still in its infancy. So from that perspective they are miles apart.

As far as blaming fans for closure of tracks, i didn't say it wasn't the fault of the promotion did i??

Obviously i have enjoyed my few visits to Leicester so i couldn't point out what it is like for a regular weekly fan.

However here is another point why fans MUST support there local track ----- If Halifax/Bradford/Wimbledon/Cradley et al were offered a track and land tomorrow do you think they would moan on and on about the quality of the track on offer??

If people don't support there local track then there might not be one to watch Speedway at. The promotion need to address the track issue some seem to find problems with, but the fans also need to back the venture.

Why do we need to agree? I have an opinion i am certainly not asking for you to share it or agree with it.

The Speedway at Monmore has been consistently good value in 2010 as in 2013. You clearly find a relevance in that.

Think your sitting on the fence there but hay ho ! Personally I would tell anyone that we used to watch the best speedway in Britain at Monmore.Can't say that anymore unfortunately as the last 3 seasons have been very average.I think its contributed to the crowds being down,there's regularly 10 of us who stand together every week,last year that was regularly down to 6 and when the match was on TV I was on my own some weeks.The outside pass seems to have gone out of fashion with even the top riders hugging the white line.There is so much choice where to spend your cash when it comes to entertainment,unfortunately long standing fans are turning their back on the sport to spend their cash elsewhere.Like alot of the Leicster fans I still attend hoping it will get better but after the last 3 years I'm doubtful,add that to the yearly watering down of the standard and I think you can see where its going. Also what's happened to the atmosphere at Monmore ? That seems to have disappeared also along with the good racing ! Edited by New Science

Is it the same track curator at Wolves or is it a different one being as you're saying the track isn't producing such good racing anymore?

Is it the same track curator at Wolves or is it a different one being as you're saying the track isn't producing such good racing anymore?

No the track curator is the same. "The best in the business" Doc Bridget Edited by New Science

. Also what's happened to the atmosphere at Monmore ? That seems to have disappeared also along with the good racing !

Think we must be in different camps or parts of the stadium then.

Where i stand the atmosphere is pretty high octane because i enjoy my Speedway and so do people around me it seems!

If Wolves hasn't good racing anymore i fear that most tracks must watch dire racing week in week out!

Last season not all the lines worked as well as the past few seasons i grant you but Doc prepares a great track still with plenty of highlights in a meeting to make it worth its while.

Where i stand the atmosphere is pretty high octane because i enjoy my Speedway and so do people around me it seems!

If Wolves hasn't good racing anymore i fear that most tracks must watch dire racing week in week out!

Last season not all the lines worked as well as the past few seasons i grant you but Doc prepares a great track still with plenty of highlights in a meeting to make it worth its while.

Can you let us know what you do to get it "high octane" so we can all do the same ? Nearer a morgue I would describe it most weeks. Amazing how opinions differ between fans at the same meeting,appreciate this happens country wide not just at Leicester and Wolves.

Monmore has to be the worst place to watch speedway.