British Speedway Forum
baz brush

Coventry Stadium Sold

The dogs will carry on for as long as the Speedway is there. So there will be Dogs,Speedway and Stock cars there for at least the next three years if they want to stay there. Hopefully there will be greyhound racing at Brandon this Friday and Saturday

Anybody out there that considers Rugby to be posh is misled!!

• Like 2

it doesnt have to be Cov area it could be Rugby or any of the surrounding area with in reason Bees fans come from a large area not all from coventry.

Yes, some even come from Leicester. :wink: I'm hoping it's not going to be too far away and a difficult journey as the reason I chose to go to Coventry when Blackbird Road closed in 1983 was because it was a quick blast up the M69 as against twice as far across Leicester and along the A47 to Peterborough. :neutral:

surely then it becomes rugby speedway and not coventry, sorry that matters to me!

Its Rugby speedway now as its in Rugby not Coventry

a bit part rider maybe, but his connections still intact i may add

Not denying it. However, the question is whether he can, or is willing to help. Haven't seen any evidence yet and don't expect to. But - as I implied, I hope to.

I know from experience that cross-linking items on here is frowned on so I am refraining from giving a direct Link. But I would draw attention to the latest Post in General Discussions in regard to the current happenings at Oxford Stadium because in the 'Oxford Mail' article there is also a strong reference to the sale of Coventry Stadium.

Edited by Guest

I know from experience that cross-linking items on here is frowned on so I am refraining from giving a direct Link. But I would draw attention to the latest Post in General Discussions in regard to the current happenings at Oxford Stadium because in the 'Oxford Mail' article there is also a strong reference to the sale of Coventry Stadium.

The fortunate situation with Coventry is the current owner and promoter, appear to wish speedway to continue into the future, whereas Oxford were kicked out by the owners. Having said that, Oxford's fight is to save the stadium, which the Coventry fans could try and do too, but could cause unintended consequences which could mean speedway at Coventry disappearing altogether. In other words, clearly Mr Sandhu wants to sell the stadium and any moves to block him may make things even more messy! But then the fans are gambling that Mr Sandhu is genuine in what he has stated. In my opinion Mr Sandhu needs to meet the fans in a face to face meeting, with Mr Horton and ideally the stocks and dogs people and firmly put the cards on the table.

• Like 5

i think that people are missing the point hear, is that "Coventry speedway" is a brand,

moving it far away hits that brand and will affect crowds/revenue streams, yes i know Brandon is in rugby and yes i know technical us oldies remember it used to be "Brandon bees" not coventry!

you just need to look at history to determine the plan.

how many pressure groups have tried to keep the stadium and won?

non but in the process there team has gone.

how many teams have tried to relocate away from the area and survived?

no one.

its all very well being on the forum we are all die hard fans, but lets not forget part of speedways "charm" is its the only motor sport that is tribal like football..

you may forget this fact on the forum, but its still true.

moving away from that base will spell disaster, so for instance mallory park is in LEICESTERSHIRE, that site is closer to me than brandon, but i do not want the team to move there, and i suspect alot of the tribal fans like myself are the same!

apologies to Gemini who i know is an exception!

so then i hear you say

"well would you rather have a team even if in Leicester than none at all"

and the truth is i wouldn't think it was the same team with the same heritage so wouldn't be that committed!

im just being honest, why else do teams go out of business if the team moves away, the majority of the fans think like me.

stonleigh showground i think would "just" be acceptable, but then lord stonleigh would never agree to all those townies coming to his village!

Edited by philfromcov

I think everyones efforts should be put into trying to find a new site. We have had this hanging over our heads season after season and one day we are just going to be left without a track and club. It will be sad to leave Brandon but the club will be so much more stronger and secure at a new site.

• Like 2

As someone who travels 35 miles each way for my speedway at Coventry I would be happy to see any stadium in the area, that allows the bees to continue.

There is so much at stake here that I don't think we should be concerning ourselves with regard to location, survival is the keyword. :unsure:

• Like 3

I hope a new stadium will have adequate car parking. Brandon is easy to get to from the by-pass and has a large car-park. Compare that with somewhere like the Ricoh.

I will miss Brandon though. I first went there over 40 years ago in the days of Nigel Boocock etc. I don't think the stadium has changed much since then!

The new ACL chairman is open to discussions with the Bees about using the Ricoh Arena.

He said "I guess there is a practical issue with it but nothing is ruled out, we would need to talk in detail about the possibilities of that happening".

Edited by woz01

This is currently on the Startrax website in regard to the latest happenings at Brandon Stadium, Coventry::

:::::::::

COVENTRY UPDATE
There has been considerable speculation over the last 24 hours as to the future of Coventry Stadium following a decision by the Greyhound operators to cease activity from 22nd February citing a possible stadium sale as a reason.
We have been assured Oval Racing is secure for the next 3 season and below is a Press statement from Mr Sandhu:

The news that Greyhounds has decided to close after tonight’s meeting came as a shock and it saddened me that they felt they could not continue to operate until the remaining three years on the lease lapsed. Harry and his team have worked extremely hard during the last few years to make Coventry Dogs a credible force within the greyhound racing world and deserved to have enjoyed the fruits of those labours.
They asked me for an extension to the lease to guarantee a further five years which I was unable to offer due to the current negotiations for the sale of the Stadium as all I could contractually offer was the three year guarantee already in place which clearly was not enough.
In terms of the other activities the Coventry Bees and Brisca F1 stock cars these are guaranteed to continue for the next three years regardless as to the ownership of the stadium and during those three years I will be trying to secure an alternative site for a new stadium in the Coventry area.
All three sports have become something that I enjoy on a personal level and the respective fans have shown me a great deal of respect over the past twelve years as such I want to ensure we do everything we can to see these sports continue. I am giving my word that I will do everything I can to ensure we succeed and if anybody can help us to secure a suitable site in the Coventry area please get in touch with jeremyheaver@btinternet.com or by phone on 07872836640.
In terms of the stadium site itself it will be sold and redeveloped it’s just a question as to when that redevelopment will take place. It will not take place for at least three seasons and that gives us time to find alternative sites for development into our new home.
Once again I would like to praise Harry and his team for the efforts they made at Coventry Dogs and I hope both speedway and stock car fans are reassured that we are working towards a more solid future.
A Sandhu

Edited by Guest