British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattR

Finnish Gp

Saw It all on eurosport, but it wasnt very good, hopefully it will be better next season, roll on Prague.

the added cock up of having Eurosport switch off just as the riders were getting ready for the final

Wonder how we manages to see Tai lift a let Zagar through for the wil then?

Niamh

Eurosport didn't cut the final off, it was broadcast Live fine. It was only if you recorded it using sky+ that it missed the final. This is Eurosport's mistake for not letting Sky know it was over-running so sky could update the planner.

• Like 1

I think they are referring to Sky+.

We watched on our Sky+ HD box with no problems

Or were the problems with the Sky Go internet provision?

Niamh

THE track was laid last November by the local promoters under the supervision of Ole Olsen.

Right, so Olsen was in charge. Someone who's been building temporary tracks for years and is supposed to be a leading authority in the matter. Yet 'local incompetence' still gets blamed.

You can't do a lot about the track shape and is diificult to get reliable temporary tracks, even if this one had actually been laid for months. However, the series organisers should take responsibility rather than passing the buck as ever...

• Like 3

Eurosport will always cut off a recording via Sky + if it overruns because they never inform Sky of a change and so the Sky Planner will always show the next programme as already started, hence the Sky + box will think the programme has finished and stop recording.

All Eurosport need to do is get the Sky planner to move the time of the following programme and the speedway will carry on taping...but they don't so it cuts off....I wouldn't ever rely on Sky + to tape on Eurosport as you are bound to miss the end.

Watch the FA Cup Final yesterday on ITV...the planner kept on shifting Britains Got Talent onwards so if you were taping the cup final you didn't miss any of that or if you were taping Britains Got Talent then the planner knew it hadn't started so you didn't miss any of that either.

• Like 1

Wonder how we manages to see Tai lift a let Zagar through for the wil then?

Niamh

Perhaps I should have said that as I had to go out for a while I recorded it and watched it about an hour later.

Ole Olsen was a prime instigator of the GPs in the first place, and has also been responsible for track preparation at many tracks, especially the temporary variety. As a Speedway rider himself, he should have known that the track at Tampere was a no no, wrong shape etc. He certainly would not have ridden it himself and would probably have been responsible for encouraging the other riders to pull out. It is time for the GP organisers in future, to have one or two of the modern riders, involved in design and preparation of temporary tracks. The Tampere track may have had restrictions on where it could be laid. although this seems in doubt now that they are talking about altering it for next year. Thank goodness I did not go, would have preferred it in Helsinki.

As most have said, a poor meeting.

Some positives.

Congratulations to Matej Zagar. He was obviously faster than Tai in the final and putting him under pressure may have contributed to Tai's mistake or, it may have been due entirely to the track. Whatever the reason Matej was close enough to take advantage and a deserved win.

Good to see Tai back on form. Let's hope he can now maintain it for Wolves and GB. I'm sure he will.

Lessons can be learnt to produce better racing next year.

I remember 100 s of years ago olsen walking out on a meeting at eastville bristol v coventry ironically complaining about the track conditions which were pretty bad. Thought last nights meet was standard fair for a big flat track ,yes it was a bit rough but blimey we have seen an awful lot worse. Shame they can't get it right maybe they need stephen hawking to supervise with a more scientific approach he could even do a few laps to pack the surface down. Was it andy pipkin with lou from little britain who went to helsinki ?

Was it a complete failure Phil? or can we learn from it and move on i for one don't want to see meeting's be a failure it happens now and again it always will.

Q: Can you imagine someone asking the same of a MotoGP or World Superbikes or a similar world motor cycle sport event?

A: No. It just wouldn't have got to that stage, but in speedway we seem to get in this position from time-to-time, and sort of accept that it does happen once-in-a-while. Shouldn't be the case, right, we have 20 years experience of what a template for a good GP is.

Edited by davidncohen

Fortunately most people on here 'are fussed' and can see the bigger picture,interested in the sport as a whole not just the results of their favourite rider !

Do you believe that the whole of Formula one is spoiled because they hold a meeting in Monaco.

that race must be one of the most famous processions in motorsport yet people keep telling me

its their favourite Grand Prix. Get a grip, last night could happen at a lot of other tracks .

• Like 2

Saw It all on eurosport, but it wasnt very good, hopefully it will be better next season, roll on Prague.

Prague another borefest not great timing.!

Seen as only 1 other person as said it

Co gratis matej on a well deserved win. Hopefully first of a few more

Yes it was a bad GP but it wasn't the first and it won't be the last

• Like 2

THE track was laid last November by the local promoters under the supervision of Ole Olsen. They didn't have a completely blank piece of paper given that the stadium has many other uses and the speedway track went down on the athletics circuit. But I certainly wouldn't deny that the overall shape was wrong... corners too narrow for such long straights.

The actual surface was better for Friday practice (no surprise there) which took place after persistent rain (natural watering) until early afternoon. They brought in a huge beast of a water-tanker on Saturday and its sheer weight may have been counter-productive in packing down the surface and contributing to the ruts that appeared late on.

Phil, don't knock the RUTS, without them there would've been no overtaking at all. I know they are dangerous, but at least they provided some form of processional change of order..

At meetings like this, I feel for writers like yourself, whom are all expected to give a positive angle on it. but after watching this rubbish, fend or please, I would have to tell it like it was.......