British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

Is Bsi Doing Enough To Promote Speedway?

The BSI needs to change its approach to business.

It’s time to move out into the world , and not just keep milking us Poles out of money.

It is good that the ban on competing in the World and European championships has been suspended, but it's wrong that it’s only for a year. It seems to me that in the proverbial speedway sandbox, there is a place for the SGP and the SEC provided that BSI would change its approach to the business.

As it is, the English company has had focused exclusively on milking us Poles . It charges us higher rates for the licences in order to be able to lower its price in Vojens or Terenzano . In addition, the BSI sells its licences close to Polish borders , as in hope that our fans will travel there and buy tickets . This is an easy business , but it cannot continue so , because soon there will be no World Championships but the European Championships .The English Company must begin to jostle its elbows in the United States, Australia and New Zealand , because there was a time when speedway there was very strong . They (BSI) needs to find new ambassadors in those countries, like we had in Ivan Mauger and Barry Briggs . Mauger especially worked very actively in the Antipodes , organizing tournaments , inviting riders from Europe and the speedway was alive there . But Ivan is more than 70 years old , so let BSI find someone younger, like Jason Crump for example, and persuade him to spin speedway in Australia and New Zealand. It might do worldwide speedway a lot of good. As it is riders for a half a year are sitting on their bums and doing nothing. In my time come January we flew to the antipodes and rode in dozens of tournaments. Let's go back to that. Let’s invest money in that because such an investment will pay off . This is my appeal to the BSI, because I am afraid that the FIM will do nothing . They (FIM) get few pennies for issuing some 500 speedway licenses , so speedway is not of interest to them. Gentlemen from the FIM are well aware that speedway will never be a mass sport that it will not be of interest to large corporations of Japan, etc., so they simply don’t care . But perhaps BSI can do something about it. America is waiting. It's a great shame that the Grand Prix has been in existence for so many years , and yet there was not one tournament in the United States.

I look forward, with hope, to successful tests of a new, silencer being created by Leszek Demski . This pseudo - ecological silencer , which is currently being used should be smashed against a wall , because it made speedway dangerous. In general, and this is ironic what I am saying , all the technological changes kill speedway . On the one hand thanks to them it is safer than ever on the track , but on the other hand there is less excitement for fans as riders don’t ride elbow to elbow . Speedway does not have to be fast , but it has to be spectacular. In the 70's I experienced as a rider some significant changes . From a two-valve to Java. Then came the four-valve engine . There were significant differences associated with these changes , but the excitement on the track was still there. Now every change makes a much greater difference.

* The above text has been translated and copied from Zenon Plech's blog , the 1979 speedway world champion runner-up.

Its time to move out into the world , and not just keep milking us Poles out of money.

They charge Polish venues more because they get better crowds than just about everywhere else.

Bottom line though, if cities are daft enough to pay the asking rates then they have no one to blame but themselves. If they all stuck together and agreed a maximum price then BSI would have to reduce it's going rates, but until the economic downturn the cities were all happy to outbid each other for a GP.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

Does PolskiZuzel work for One Sport by any chance?

Rob, if you really want to know then I'll tell you.

I'am retired man with all the time for myself. So I look here, there and everywhere to see what is of interest to me.

BTW what OneSport has to do with this?

Does PolskiZuzel work for One Sport by any chance?

They charge Polish venues more because they get better crowds than just about everywhere else.

What better crowds have to do with fees BSI are charging?

• Like 1

What better crowds have to do with fees BSI are charging?

The same as if you lease a shop on the high street as opposed to a back lane. You're likely to get more customers and the lessor knows they can charge more for the lease as a result.

The same as if you lease a shop on the high street as opposed to a back lane. You're likely to get more customers and the lessor knows they can charge more for the lease as a result.

Even if this is the case, I don't agree with it.

Rules and law are/should be equal to everyone. Otherwise a millioner should be paying more for, lets say, a pint of milk, simply because he can afford more.

Lets be honest, if someone is going to pay over the odds for your product you'll sell it to them for as much as you can. More fool the Poles for paying OTT prices.

Rules and law are/should be equal to everyone. Otherwise a millioner should be paying more for, lets say, a pint of milk, simply because he can afford more.

OK, let the Poles pay £29 minimum to watch a GP.

You miss the point completely. It is in the value of the product to the club not the individuals ability to pay.

Grands Prix and pints of milk are entirely different things. Firstly, a pint of milk is a commodity and millions get sold. There's a limit to what you can charge for a pint of milk because otherwise consumers will go to another provider, and likewise its impractical to assess the ability of a customer to pay because of the small margins involved. The milk supplier simply hopes to sell a lot of milk and make their money that way.

Even with commodities though, different prices get charged in different areas. These are noticeably cheaper in the North-East of England compared to the South-East of England because average incomes are lower, as well as the overheads of selling the commodities. There is no law or rule that says the same price has to be charged from region-to-region, and it wouldn't be sensible to have one.

The store that sells the milk is different though. There are a relatively limited number of properties available, and even fewer in prime locations to attract the walk-in (or drive-in) customer. That's why the landlords are able to charge higher rents for the prime locations, and it's the same for living accommodation in desirable areas, and numerous other non-commodity products.

GPs are essentially bespoke products - restricted in supply because there's a practical limit on the number of hosts, availability of riders, and how often people are willing to attend or otherwise watch a GP. Equally, there is a certain moral obligation for a World Championship series to spread itself around a number of countries, even if spectator and financial interest varies widely from place-to-place.

Given these circumstances, it would be marketing folly to not maximise revenue in popular markets, especially if cities in a particular area or country are willing to compete with each other for the right to host. The bottom line is that Polish cities were perfectly willing to pay the asking prices for years, but now only complain when realise they can't make any money. Well I have little sympathy - that's what doing due diligence is about - and equal laws and rules conveniently seem to go out the window in the Polish League when clubs are paying silly money to poach riders from each other.

This does not mean that I believe speedway's premier event should should be run in the manner that it is. I think it's ridiculous that the long-term rights were given away to a private corporation with no obvious benefit to the sport, but that's a different matter to how revenue is raised. The Polish authorities (amongst others) were seemingly happy to let it happen years ago though, and have collectively signed away the rights until 2021 or so. If the prices are too high though, then there's no obligation to stage GPs.

".............because soon there will be no World Championships but the European Championships"

The SEC will never be more than some small competition compared to the GP Series. One produces a World Champion, the other, we'll lets be honest who cares?

• Like 2

Grands Prix and pints of milk are entirely different things.

You are right. The milk example was unfortunate, but it is still hard for me to accept that different GPs venue are paying different prices for the same product with the same riders, etc., On the other hand I accept the fact that it is up to the given venue whether the terms dictated by the BSI are OK for them or not.

You are right. The milk example was unfortunate, but it is still hard for me to accept that different GPs venue are paying different prices for the same product with the same riders, etc., On the other hand I accept the fact that it is up to the given venue whether the terms dictated by the BSI are OK for them or not.

Does every F1 grand prix host pay the same for Bernie to have GP at their track. B'cos thats exactly the same as BSI and SGP hosts.

Does every F1 grand prix host pay the same for Bernie to have GP at their track. B'cos thats exactly the same as BSI and SGP hosts.

No they pay whatever the Berni can screw out of them.

It’s time to move out into the world , and not just keep milking us Poles out of money.

It is good that the ban on competing in the World and European championships has been suspended, but it's wrong that it’s only for a year. It seems to me that in the proverbial speedway sandbox, there is a place for the SGP and the SEC provided that BSI would change its approach to the business.

As it is, the English company has had focused exclusively on milking us Poles . It charges us higher rates for the licences in order to be able to lower its price in Vojens or Terenzano . In addition, the BSI sells its licences close to Polish borders , as in hope that our fans will travel there and buy tickets . This is an easy business , but it cannot continue so , because soon there will be no World Championships but the European Championships .The English Company must begin to jostle its elbows in the United States, Australia and New Zealand , because there was a time when speedway there was very strong . They (BSI) needs to find new ambassadors in those countries, like we had in Ivan Mauger and Barry Briggs . Mauger especially worked very actively in the Antipodes , organizing tournaments , inviting riders from Europe and the speedway was alive there . But Ivan is more than 70 years old , so let BSI find someone younger, like Jason Crump for example, and persuade him to spin speedway in Australia and New Zealand. It might do worldwide speedway a lot of good. As it is riders for a half a year are sitting on their bums and doing nothing. In my time come January we flew to the antipodes and rode in dozens of tournaments. Let's go back to that. Let’s invest money in that because such an investment will pay off . This is my appeal to the BSI, because I am afraid that the FIM will do nothing . They (FIM) get few pennies for issuing some 500 speedway licenses , so speedway is not of interest to them. Gentlemen from the FIM are well aware that speedway will never be a mass sport that it will not be of interest to large corporations of Japan, etc., so they simply don’t care . But perhaps BSI can do something about it. America is waiting. It's a great shame that the Grand Prix has been in existence for so many years , and yet there was not one tournament in the United States.

I look forward, with hope, to successful tests of a new, silencer being created by Leszek Demski . This pseudo - ecological silencer , which is currently being used should be smashed against a wall , because it made speedway dangerous. In general, and this is ironic what I am saying , all the technological changes kill speedway . On the one hand thanks to them it is safer than ever on the track , but on the other hand there is less excitement for fans as riders don’t ride elbow to elbow . Speedway does not have to be fast , but it has to be spectacular. In the 70's I experienced as a rider some significant changes . From a two-valve to Java. Then came the four-valve engine . There were significant differences associated with these changes , but the excitement on the track was still there. Now every change makes a much greater difference.

* The above text has been translated and copied from Zenon Plech's blog , the 1979 speedway world champion runner-up.

"milking us poles"........now theres a change!

• Like 2

Speedway needs to do what cricket is doing, Hand the power over to the major powers.

If the Poles were in charge of world speedway, There's no doubt that they would increase the popularity of the sport to another level.

You put the most money in, You should have the biggest say and Poland isn't getting a representational say considering the money they bring into speedway

Edited by Hougaard Racing Fans

Grands Prix and pints of milk are entirely different things. Firstly, a pint of milk is a commodity and millions get sold. There's a limit to what you can charge for a pint of milk because otherwise consumers will go to another provider, and likewise its impractical to assess the ability of a customer to pay because of the small margins involved. The milk supplier simply hopes to sell a lot of milk and make their money that way.

Even with commodities though, different prices get charged in different areas. These are noticeably cheaper in the North-East of England compared to the South-East of England because average incomes are lower, as well as the overheads of selling the commodities. There is no law or rule that says the same price has to be charged from region-to-region, and it wouldn't be sensible to have one.

The store that sells the milk is different though. There are a relatively limited number of properties available, and even fewer in prime locations to attract the walk-in (or drive-in) customer. That's why the landlords are able to charge higher rents for the prime locations, and it's the same for living accommodation in desirable areas, and numerous other non-commodity products.

GPs are essentially bespoke products - restricted in supply because there's a practical limit on the number of hosts, availability of riders, and how often people are willing to attend or otherwise watch a GP. Equally, there is a certain moral obligation for a World Championship series to spread itself around a number of countries, even if spectator and financial interest varies widely from place-to-place.

Given these circumstances, it would be marketing folly to not maximise revenue in popular markets, especially if cities in a particular area or country are willing to compete with each other for the right to host. The bottom line is that Polish cities were perfectly willing to pay the asking prices for years, but now only complain when realise they can't make any money. Well I have little sympathy - that's what doing due diligence is about - and equal laws and rules conveniently seem to go out the window in the Polish League when clubs are paying silly money to poach riders from each other.

This does not mean that I believe speedway's premier event should should be run in the manner that it is. I think it's ridiculous that the long-term rights were given away to a private corporation with no obvious benefit to the sport, but that's a different matter to how revenue is raised. The Polish authorities (amongst others) were seemingly happy to let it happen years ago though, and have collectively signed away the rights until 2021 or so. If the prices are too high though, then there's no obligation to stage GPs.

GIVEN away? Come on Humphrey, you know full well that BSI/IMG pay the FIM a great deal for the rights and spend even more on promoting the series as a whole.

Give your argument the correct balance.