British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

Who's Got The Best Reserve?

Honestly don't know!! What I do know is that Smart and Newman will be given every chance to prove themselves, and if they don't perform then I expect Matt/Middlo to look at alternatives!!

What I also know is that Bates is one of at least 3 British riders of similar standard/experience who have made contact with the club to 'offer their services', subject to fixture clashes - as I am sure is the case with most if not all the other EL clubs!!

They can only be replaced by other riders from the Draft List. If he has been put back on the list, then fair enough.

Exactly, what it shouldn't be is riders phoning around to 'offer their services' to particular clubs.

Who has phoned who then seeing as you seem to have inside information?

Honestly don't know!! What I do know is that Smart and Newman will be given every chance to prove themselves, and if they don't perform then I expect Matt/Middlo to look at alternatives!!

What I also know is that Bates is one of at least 3 British riders of similar standard/experience who have made contact with the club to 'offer their services', subject to fixture clashes - as I am sure is the case with most if not all the other EL clubs!!

Think the inside information came from the above

See Skidders post at 9.56

Thanks for that Skidder... :t:

I just think its a bit naïve to think that any EL club's reserves who may miss meetings due to PL/NL fixture clashes (hopefully not injury) will not be replaced by those currently not allocated!!

And if that reserve guest happens to perform better than the rider he is replacing, then why shouldn't the club make it a permanent replacement - no matter how the team may be performing overall?! Its the club's business after all.!!!

The clubs could even sign the replacement reserve as a club asset?! :wink::D

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

I just think its a bit naïve to think that any EL club's reserves who may miss meetings due to PL/NL fixture clashes (hopefully not injury) will not be replaced by those currently not allocated!!

And if that reserve guest happens to perform better than the rider he is replacing, then why shouldn't the club make it a permanent replacement - no matter how the team may be performing overall?! Its the club's business after all.!!!

Nothing wrong with that, except where a rider has turned down an opportunity elsewhere.

• Like 1

Exactly, what it shouldn't be is riders phoning around to 'offer their services' to particular clubs. Word would soon spread that a better way to do things is to not take part in the draft and 'offer your services' after it.

If your services weren't available at the start or you renege/forfeit/decline to ride for the club who draft you then quite simply your services are not required for that season.

Top post.

The clubs business it is but it was 'the clubs'that set out and agreed a draft system therefore unilateral changes should not be allowable.

Any change has to be overseen and controlled centrally to ensure the integrity of the program.

• Like 1

The clubs business it is but it was 'the clubs'that set out and agreed a draft system therefore unilateral changes should not be allowable.

Any change has to be overseen and controlled centrally to ensure the integrity of the program.

Only one team are talking about replacing riders whether that's their promotor or fans.

It doesn't matter how things are agreed as they always get a way round them in the end.

This rule seemed pretty solid but by Swindon agreeing to let Josh pull out of his draft it's just opened more crap within the sport.

Dodgy foreign riders or young british riders, it really doesn't matter.

Edited by Crazy robin

So he reneged on the deal.

It's very simple.

You sign a contract that states you are willing to ride for the EL team that drafts you. He did that.

Months after that he then goes and signs for Sheffield, KNOWING he is already committed to a team on Thursday nights. He has reneged on his deal, no ifs, buts, whys etc. Its pretty simple.

The whole system would very quickly fall apart if all the riders did that. I'm quite sure other riders will have been choosing the PL teams to negotiate with whose fixtures don't take place on the same night as a team they have already signed with.

No not for me. Logic prevailed.

Nothing wrong with that, except where a rider has turned down an opportunity elsewhere.

You have really got it in for this kid. A young lad encounters an unfortunate situation and you want him hanged. Send him to the gallows or maybe a good stoning will sort the renegade out 😄😄😄. Edited by Hodgy
  • Like 2

You have really got it I for this kid. A young lad encounters an unfortunate situation and you want him hanged. Send him to the gallows or maybe a good stoning will sort the renegade out .

No we don't. We just want him fairly allocated. if he wants to ride he should be offered to the first team in the draft then slowly offered to each. It would be right for a team to be able to jump ahead of others.

would like to know what you all think.

Faustino Rioja is pretty good.

No not for me. Logic prevailed.

You have really got it in for this kid. A young lad encounters an unfortunate situation and you want him hanged. Send him to the gallows or maybe a good stoning will sort the renegade out .

Firstly he hasn't encountered anything.

The situation was entirely of his own making. He had a choice to make, he's made it.

Why are you talking about hanging? He's going to ride for Sheffield which will be good for him in the long run.

There were other riders who had the foresight to decline a place in the draft precisely for the kind of reason Bates has withdrawn from his place at Swindon. As far as I am aware they won't be on the list of replacements, so why should Bates be?

• Like 2

Confirmed last night - Josh Bates is off the Draft list until 31st May.