British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

Russians Introduce Slavery For Their Riders

.... the governing bodies PAY for the riders to attend. They cover their expenses, costs etc etc. Last year, Emil, the Lagutas etc were not going to be paid any money by the Russian authorities to ride in the SWC...so they didn't accept their invitations, and some young Russian juniors were conscripted in instead.

That's exactly my point.

In order to represent Russian Federation their riders should have Federation support, i.e. Federation's bikes and people servicing them, all costs of transporting bike,replacing silencers (because in Russia they use old type of silencers), etc. Last year Russian Federation expected top Russians to use their own private equipment that they use in the Polish League, so- in my opinion - they rightly said - no way, and what happened next we all know.

That's exactly my point.

In order to represent Russian Federation their riders should have Federation support, i.e. Federation's bikes and people servicing them, all costs of transporting bike,replacing silencers (because in Russia they use old type of silencers), etc. Last year Russian Federation expected top Russians to use their own private equipment that they use in the Polish League, so- in my opinion - they rightly said - no way, and what happened next we all know.

What a load of rubbish-I shouldn`t think any federation supplies bikes for the riders to use in the SWC-some monetary help yes but that's about it.

Except if your name is Craig Cook and you make out that you can't afford to appear for Team GB in the GB v Australia test series...or your name is Lewis Bridger when you cry off because after laying idle for 5 months, your bikes are still in bits all over the garage floor.

When the Swedes, Poles, Czechs etc select their teams, the governing bodies PAY for the riders to attend. They cover their expenses, costs etc etc. Last year, Emil, the Lagutas etc were not going to be paid any money by the Russian authorities to ride in the SWC...so they didn't accept their invitations, and some young Russian juniors were conscripted in instead. This year if Emil or the Lagutas refuse to ride for nothing, and pay their own way on behalf of their country, they will be refused a license to ride outside communist USSR (oops) Russia.

Looking at what the Russian authorities have done, it's a step up from any draconian measures anyone else has made of their riders.

Can you please list, what does SVEMO actually pay for the riders that they call for national duty? What does PZM pay? With sportowefakty.pl making most things public anyway you can probably dig this up for us.

I can see some point in all this from a federation point of view. IF the federation HAS NO MONEY, and still want to stay active and ride the "Emil" wave, they need to stay global, So they just announce that the clubs will pay for everything. Most riders pay for the international license themselves anyway, and with that comes an international insurance. That can be upgraded if felt necessary. Only problem here is the starting permit for foreign leagues, and if you've been given a Polish license thats not a problem anyway, since PZM will hand it out for you.

Except if your name is Craig Cook and you make out that you can't afford to appear for Team GB in the GB v Australia test series...or your name is Lewis Bridger when you cry off because after laying idle for 5 months, your bikes are still in bits all over the garage floor.

The point I think PZ is making is this, and it follows on from the SWC qualifier in Czestochowa last year. When the Swedes, Poles, Czechs etc select their teams, the governing bodies PAY for the riders to attend. They cover their expenses, costs etc etc. Last year, Emil, the Lagutas etc were not going to be paid any money by the Russian authorities to ride in the SWC...so they didn't accept their invitations, and some young Russian juniors were conscripted in instead. This year if Emil or the Lagutas refuse to ride for nothing, and pay their own way on behalf of their country, they will be refused a license to ride outside communist USSR (oops) Russia.

Looking at what the Russian authorities have done, it's a step up from any draconian measures anyone else has made of their riders.

As I said, "technically". I cant think of a time it has been used recently.

Which GB test match is it Lewis Bridger missed? As I explained to you a few weeks ago, he missed a challenge meeting, a charity event. NOT a GB Test match.

And that is in pretty much every countries license agrement, technically, if you ignore your governing body they can ban you. About 3 or 4 years ago Thomas H Jonasson defied SVEMO and rather than riding in a GP qualifier he rode in a league meeting. Result? He got a ban. Nobody suggested THJ was a slave.

Last year Russian Federation expected top Russians to use their own private equipment that they use in the Polish League, so- in my opinion - they rightly said - no way, and what happened next we all know.

Bottom line, is that if a rider doesn't want to represent their country, they shouldn't have to. A rider should be free to choose where and for whom they want to ride, unless they've previously contracted to do so (and been paid).

Can you please list, what does SVEMO actually pay for the riders that they call for national duty? What does PZM pay? With sportowefakty.pl making most things public anyway you can probably dig this up for us.

I can see some point in all this from a federation point of view. IF the federation HAS NO MONEY, and still want to stay active and ride the "Emil" wave, they need to stay global, So they just announce that the clubs will pay for everything. Most riders pay for the international license themselves anyway, and with that comes an international insurance. That can be upgraded if felt necessary. Only problem here is the starting permit for foreign leagues, and if you've been given a Polish license thats not a problem anyway, since PZM will hand it out for you.

If SVEMO was a saintly organisation, maybe Freddie Lindgren would still be available for selection. But that's another issue.

On the basis that he who wants to call the tune has to pay the piper, if a governing body wants its riders to travel to another country to compete in international competition, then the very least it should do is to make and pay for all the arrangements to do so. That will include flights,travel, accommodation, out of pocket expenses, visas (if necessary) and any other incidental costs. If there are additional entry and insurance costs for an event (I seem to recall Phil Morris mentioning the cost of entering a rider into the Euro u21's or something like that last year) then the governing body should foot that bill too.

If the governing body is bankrupt and has no money, then that's a matter for the FIM to deal with. If it can't afford to send a team to the SWC, then the FIM shouldn't invite them in until they can afford it. It's unacceptable in my mind for a governing body to tell a rider that they have to pay for the honour of representing their country...sorry NOT "honour", that should have been "compulsion". Jamaica may not have the richest winter sports governing body, but they paid for their bobsleigh team to represent the country at the Winter Olympics, The same principle should apply to speedway riders representing Russia.

Entry fees are actually forbidden in FIM snd FIM Europe speedway competitions. Its a rule in the rulebook. So Morris was talking anout something else.

I seem to recall Phil Morris mentioning the cost of entering a rider into the Euro u21's or something like that last year

Entry fees are actually forbidden in FIM snd FIM Europe speedway competitions. Its a rule in the rulebook. So Morris was talking anout something else.

My memory of what exactly he said is not exact. I don't think he mentioned entry fees, but certainly the cost of getting into the meetings would have included other things and I think that the cost of insurance was mentioned, and maybe the cost to be licensed to compete...or something along those lines, not to mention transport costs. He was making the case for why some British juniors were not entering international competition, when faced with costs involved against the benefits/rewards that they would get from such competitions.

My memory of what exactly he said is not exact. I don't think he mentioned entry fees, but certainly the cost of getting into the meetings would have included other things and I think that the cost of insurance was mentioned, and maybe the cost to be licensed to compete...or something along those lines, not to mention transport costs. He was making the case for why some British juniors were not entering international competition, when faced with costs involved against the benefits/rewards that they would get from such competitions.

I think I've picked this same argument earlier as well. FIM license is about 500 euros for the full season and that includes insurance. Cant remember the exact amount, but thats a ballpark figure.

Benefits for entering such competitions... Like U21 euros and worlds... I know many promoters in the UK dont like them, but I do.