British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

How Would You Improve Presentation?

I remember watching them at Weymouth. Great fun. Not sure that would be on SCB's list of things to liven up speedway evenings though. :wink:

You'd be surprised. While not my cup of tea, anything that get the kids involved and interested is a great idea. Its certainly better than the nothing at all that they get to do now for 20 minutes.

I remember watching them at Weymouth. Great fun. Not sure that would be on SCB's list of things to liven up speedway evenings though. :wink:

Something is better than nothing tho :wink:

It doesn't need to be non stop entertainment. Half the fun is talking to friends between races BUT a mere 15 minutes of action interspersed by banal comments from the bloke on the centre is not what's needed. Neither is the repetition of comments already publicised in social media/ Star etc. Get some interviews preferably with a rider able to string more than 2 words together. Get some interaction from the riders, not just the customary lower arm in the upright position whilst talking to another rider on a victory lap. And as someone else said get some interaction between riders, it doesn't have to be fisticuffs. Bring back some charecter and personality.

No one goes to speedway for the music, the interviews or the centre green presenter. People go to see the riders - get those riders involved. Somehow, anyhow it doesn't matter how. They just have to remember that the fans are there to be entertained for up to 2 hours and it's their JOB to do just that and not just ride a bike for 4 minutes. Whether they are GP stars or raw novices it doesn't matter just interact with the crowds.

• Like 1

thought into the right music IS a big part of the night, totally agree with scb posts, and also agree you dont need to be a speedway fan to present..it clearly helps, but for me id much rather listen to jonathan green than nigel pearson, for example

No one goes to speedway for the music, the interviews or the centre green presenter. People go to see the riders - get those riders involved. Somehow, anyhow it doesn't matter how. They just have to remember that the fans are there to be entertained for up to 2 hours and it's their JOB to do just that and not just ride a bike for 4 minutes. Whether they are GP stars or raw novices it doesn't matter just interact with the crowds.

Nobody goes to a restaurant for the music either but if you turned up and they were playing some grunge rock metal at full volume you'd probably not stay to find out the meal was the greatest food ever. It's the little things that make the difference.

That said, I do agree, the rider can and should do more!

Come on then let's have a list of good speedway tunes .......... I'll start with Queen - Don't Stop Me Now :)

Hopefully Sheffields parade presentation will improve now we've got some new blood running the club, simply having the riders walk from the pits to the start line, thereby missing the biggest proportion of the crowd, and worst of all, can't wait to get their helmets on, often even before their name has been announced, it doesn't happen at other tracks so why should it at Sheffield, the riders have to be seen and have to interact with the paying public.

• Like 2

Not everyone is the same, personally I think bad presentation is worse than no presentation and all the ideas that people here have put forward, wouldn't attract me. I don't even like the parade! All I want to see is racing, so whatever the other attractions might be, I don't want them. The best thing that could happen (too expensive probably) would be a giant screen with replays of the last race and replays of other events before the start and during the interval. And also heat results that you often miss because of crap sound systems.

Come on then let's have a list of good speedway tunes .......... I'll start with Queen - Don't Stop Me Now :)

How about The Best Air Guitar Album in the world or Driving Rock Ballads. :party::drink:

The Distance - Cake.

I forgot the music, generally poor, I am an old fart but even I think the music is soporific. Don't stop me now - really?? :lol:

Riders having dust ups gets a big thumbs up from me, can turn a non event into a meeting that is talked about for years. One proviso however is that riders can scrap with riders but if anybody else throws a punch at a rider they should never be allowed trackside again. Mechanics and track staff can all fight each other as far as I am concerned but nobody except a fellow rider should be allowed to hit a rider. On the same sort of subject fines should be x number of points not a fixed sum, a £300 fine for a NL rider is two maximums while for an EL rider it could be a second place - that's not justice.

Ref's can have a huge part to play in running good, enjoyable meetings they need to use common sense to make that happen.

Edited by Vince
  • Like 1

i cant give you anything, but my love..stylistics....yes its old, but you have to remember, MAJORITY of speedway fans wo still goes

recall the stuff they heard when goin to speedway, yes you have to cater for younger generation, but as things stand, its the fans from the 70s thats keeping speedway alive, not the fans from the 00s

Nobody goes to a restaurant for the music either but if you turned up and they were playing some grunge rock metal at full volume you'd probably not stay to find out the meal was the greatest food ever. It's the little things that make the difference.

!

Totally agree but non stop chart (do they still have them lol) music is as bad as wall to wall opera. All tastes have to be catered for.

Agree with Vince,referees can do their bit by keeping the meeting moving. Stop excessive gardening and once the pit gate Is closed it should stay closed unless there is a crash where a rider or bike needs attention.

nothing more annoying than un satisfactory start, and seeing pit gate open

Couldn't agree more.

I read in so many rider interviews that they love racing.

So why delay the thrill?

You should know all about them! :-)

Whoosh!

from my experience even if the music was better you wouldn't hear it at a lot of tracks as the PA systems are so poor....maybe things are better now, I don't know.

Basically speedway should be marketed as an extreme sport, a Red Bull type thing which are incredibly popular with youngsters today..Forget the family sport image, that will not attract youngsters....promote it as an action filled extreme sport and youngsters are more likely to mither their parents to take them

The riders and bikes fit the bill and look the part so that's half the battle..the problem is a half empty stadium with an ageing audience , dreadful PA's and even more dreadful middle aged music ...it's hardly encouragement for a trendy teenager to want to return

When Claremont speedway in Australia used to run they often did a TV advert in the week, it was loud and it was action packed and looked good...when you got there there was a much younger crowd than you tended to get over here...music was loud and presentation very good with commentary on the race which was done in a way to enhance the meeting...probably the weather helped but it was a good night out......I think a lot of people go to speedway over here because they have got into the habit of going...nothing wrong with that, but they'll probably always carry on going, it's new blood you need to attract so make it extreme and exciting

• Like 5