British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

Coventry V Birmingham, 28 Mar 14

Come on, im waiting for a reply to my post.

From my experience the Brandon track has always held up well to a bit of rain, on many occasions after rain when its been thought it would be off its been on. I couldn`t believe it when I arrived today to see cars and vans on their way out. It does seem now even more so, that Mick is the innocent party in this pandemoneum. Theres NO excuses for todays call off, the stadium should pay compensation....

• Like 1

From my experience the Brandon track has always held up well to a bit of rain, on many occasions after rain when its been thought it would be off its been on. I couldn`t believe it when I arrived today to see cars and vans on their way out. It does seem now even more so, that Mick is the innocent party in this pandemoneum. Theres NO excuses for todays call off, the stadium should pay compensation....

Why's he the inocent party?. He should have been at the track at some point during the morning to ensure all is in hand, if You lot are very quick to defend horton, why?

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Coventry team manager Gary Havelock was left frustrated after his sides Elite League clash against local rivals Birmingham was called off – despite no rain falling in the local area throughout the entirety of the day.

Havelock, based in Middlesbrough, arrived at the track shortly before the meeting was postponed, however the reason behind the postponement was blurred. Speaking exclusively to Speedway365 shortly after the confirmed postponement, Havelock said “It didn’t look like it had been raining, I spoke to Adam Roynon who said it hadn’t rained at all today. The track was a right old state.

“Apparently Jason Garrity had been up the track since 12 o’clock cause he stopped over after racing at Ipswich last night and he said they need to get the big blade to blade it all off. However he (track curator) kept saying we should put some more dry shale on the track and try to pack it down on top of the surface.

“From what I was seeing down at the track they’re going to have a problem as long as they keep employing this new track guy. I don’t personally know him but apparently his credentials are to be challenged. All I can say is to go by what Jason Garrity was telling me.

“They could’ve gone round and round for the next 20 hours and it wouldn’t of been raceable – that’s how bad it was. To me it’s simple; last year the guy we had doing the track would say number one problem, meet on the first and second corner. After that problem the track was good, smooth and raceable – 95% of the time I was there the track was good. The week before press day they brought in some Polish guy who was the Bydgoszcz track curator – the guy doesn’t speak a word of English and he certainly doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing.

“I think this can be an on going issue. Mick is in a difficult situation, he’s the one who puts the money in and signs the riders but he isn’t in charge of track preparation. The stadium seem to be the guys who are working on the track which puts Mick in a difficult situation.”

Despite the negativity surrounding the track issues, Havelock does believe Coventry has a strong side and the playoffs are the first target to meet. Said Havelock “Compared to last years team the side looks great. Everybody is raring to go and stuff like this happens. It’s difficult at this point for everybody but thankfully the travelling fans wouldn’t of travelled too far as it was Coventry vs Birmingham. If it’d been Coventry vs Poole or something like that then you’ve got to think of the poor fans that have spent their hard earned money to be turned away with no wheels being turned.”

Id be grateful if the Mods do not remove this post, it has not been made up, but copied from Speedway365, so deserves to be read.

Why's he the inocent party?. He should have been at the track at some point during the morning to ensure all is in hand, if You lot are very quick to defend horton, why?

I agree. If I was gambling on several hundred thousand pounds worth of my cash promoting speedway. I'd be there for the track prep if there is a problem.

He's had to outlay cash for two meetings now that sadly he has no return on. You'd think he'd have the men in black Mercedes and shades around to make sure everything goes to plan.

Or as Shovlar says, send trackman to the bar for the afternoon buy him drinks and supply a taxi home then get a decent guy in to prep track.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

I agree. If I was gambling on several hundred thousand pounds worth of my cash promoting speedway. I'd be there for the track prep.

He's had to outlay cash for two meetings now that sadly he has no return on. You'd think he'd have the men in black Mercedes and shades around to make sure everything goes to plan.

Thank you. Even better, an appearance by himself. After all, he is apparantly, club owner/promoter...

Coventry team manager Gary Havelock was left frustrated after his sides Elite League clash against local rivals Birmingham was called off – despite no rain falling in the local area throughout the entirety of the day.

Havelock, based in Middlesbrough, arrived at the track shortly before the meeting was postponed, however the reason behind the postponement was blurred. Speaking exclusively to Speedway365 shortly after the confirmed postponement, Havelock said “It didn’t look like it had been raining, I spoke to Adam Roynon who said it hadn’t rained at all today. The track was a right old state.

“Apparently Jason Garrity had been up the track since 12 o’clock cause he stopped over after racing at Ipswich last night and he said they need to get the big blade to blade it all off. However he (track curator) kept saying we should put some more dry shale on the track and try to pack it down on top of the surface.

“From what I was seeing down at the track they’re going to have a problem as long as they keep employing this new track guy. I don’t personally know him but apparently his credentials are to be challenged. All I can say is to go by what Jason Garrity was telling me.

“They could’ve gone round and round for the next 20 hours and it wouldn’t of been raceable – that’s how bad it was. To me it’s simple; last year the guy we had doing the track would say number one problem, meet on the first and second corner. After that problem the track was good, smooth and raceable – 95% of the time I was there the track was good. The week before press day they brought in some Polish guy who was the Bydgoszcz track curator – the guy doesn’t speak a word of English and he certainly doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing.

“I think this can be an on going issue. Mick is in a difficult situation, he’s the one who puts the money in and signs the riders but he isn’t in charge of track preparation. The stadium seem to be the guys who are working on the track which puts Mick in a difficult situation.”

Despite the negativity surrounding the track issues, Havelock does believe Coventry has a strong side and the playoffs are the first target to meet. Said Havelock “Compared to last years team the side looks great. Everybody is raring to go and stuff like this happens. It’s difficult at this point for everybody but thankfully the travelling fans wouldn’t of travelled too far as it was Coventry vs Birmingham. If it’d been Coventry vs Poole or something like that then you’ve got to think of the poor fans that have spent their hard earned money to be turned away with no wheels being turned.”

Id be grateful if the Mods do not remove this post, it has not been made up, but copied from Speedway365, so deserves to be read.

Thats the second time you've put this up, what you trying to say??

Edited by Starman2006

Not really any deal he should have done with the Staduim should include him being able to used his own track staff ... if he has not got that in place and then they muck up then the buck has to stop with him .

I agree,Horton just wants to collect admission money and hope it covers his outlays,the man needs to get A grip instead of making excuses.Mind you there has to be doubts about this new track mans thinking , he is not in Poland now and has to adapt to the British climate. Edited by Fromafar

I agree,Horton just wants to collect admission money and hope it covers his outlays,the man needs to get A grip instead of making excuses.Mind you there has to be doubts about this new track mans thinking , he is not in Poland now and has to adapt to the British climate.

The problem is mate, there are to many on here defending him, the same way as they defended Sandhu, they are /were ultimately responsable for Coventry speedway now look where the club is...why is the club in such disaray?

Edited by Starman2006

To be honest there doesn't seem to be a significant difference between the conditions in summer in terms of rainfall and temperature between Bydogoszcz, for instance, and Coventry . It is not exactly like the difference between UK and Australia or suchlike. In fact Central Poland seems to get a few more mm in summer than Central UK.

In other words the different climate excuse might not be explaining everything.[/size][/font][/color]

It's not just any "different climate" I was wondering about earlier ... it's the different time of year that the British season starts compared to Poland and, therefore, Coventry's track curator isn't used to adapting March's weather conditions (in either Poland or the UK) towards producing a raceable track.

His tactic of trying to blend dry shale into a damp surface has a much better chance of succeeding during April-to-September which is pretty much the full spell of a Polish season but only three-quarters of the UK-season.

But in either March or October, the damp surface he's dealing with will almost certainly have a much heavier moisture level than it would have during any of the warmer months because there's far less natural evaporation of the moisture and that makes it much harder (if not impossible) to blend in any dry material.

Realistically, the only way to remove heavy moisture in March or October is to do it by removing the track as well because Mother Nature won't separate the water from the shale as wonderfully as she does when it's warmer - in other words, blade everything off until you reach a dry-enough level of the track-base.

Effectively, judging by the reports from those who've been at the track, he's trying a perfectly reasonable tactic as long as it's a warmer time of year but a totally stupid tactic given only slightly below-average temperatures for the end of March.

And if no-one from the Bees (or any visiting riders & offcials) can get him (or Coventry Stadium) to understand it's not his overall ability that's in doubt, just the little aspect that this tactic doesn't make sense in March, then Brandon's going to remain unraceable until we get at least a week's warmer weather so that he can start his next track-prep with a much less sludgy surface.

By the way, who's paying for all this dry shale that's being utterly wasted by getting turned into yet more damp sludge instead of any successful blending - is it the stadium or the Bees ?

Edited by arthur cross

I have to laugh about Jason Garrity said they should blade it. Without taking sides jason has been riding how long? He is how old? His experience of track prep work is? If there is a debate about track prep and lets face it every rider,team manager and fan is an expert lets actually have some input from someone who has been there and done it for many years. I would suggest only Sandhu and Horton really know the truth about their agreement so i don't see how anyone can have real knowledge either way. Sadly this could be RIP Coventry Speedway which I'm sure even their most bitter rivals would agree is a great shame

It's not just any "different climate" I was wondering about earlier ... it's the different time of year that the British season starts compared to Poland and, therefore, Coventry's track curator isn't used to adapting March's weather conditions (in either Poland or the UK) towards producing a raceable track.

Different time ? when I tuned into eurosport tonight they were showing speedway from Poland ? maybe it was a highlights show ?

After the fiasco of the weekend, why on earth would you defend Horton this time - surely the onus was on him to ensure someone was there to sort out the track ... it beggars belief that this has happened again.

After the fiasco of the weekend, why on earth would you defend Horton this time - surely the onus was on him to ensure someone was there to sort out the track ... it beggars belief that this has happened again.

To be fair to Horton and Coventry Speedway, it appears the new track guy was employed by the Stadium, so its hardly anything to do with Coventry Speedway.

Different time ? when I tuned into eurosport tonight they were showing speedway from Poland ? maybe it was a highlights show ?

I can understand you pointing out it was live action from Poland tonight but that meeting marked a very early start to the Polish season (especially in a year when Easter's so late) because the Poles usually make a big thing of combining their opening fixtures with the Easter holiday.

Coventry's problem tonight appears to be the stubborn continuation of a track-prep tactic that didn't work for either of last weekend's two Brandon meetings on March 21st & 23rd ... you'll do well to find much speedway that's ever taken place in Poland on both those dates.

I have to laugh about Jason Garrity said they should blade it. Without taking sides jason has been riding how long? He is how old? His experience of track prep work is? If there is a debate about track prep and lets face it every rider,team manager and fan is an expert lets actually have some input from someone who has been there and done it for many years.

Havvy was only referring to Jason Garrity in the respect that Jason had been there for much of today and, therefore, had a good view of what had or hadn't happened with the track-prep (Garrity's based in North-West England but rode for Rye House at Ipswich last night so went straight from Foxhall to Brandon, presumably to use Coventry's pit facilities for cleaning up his machinery from last night).

Yes, Jason's still relatively young but his recommendation of blading the track echoes what most riders/officials have been crying out for whether it was at National League level last Friday or the Elite Championship last Sunday or the Bees-&-Brummies tonight.

Yet one track curator plus the stadium management seem to know better than the overwhelming view of everyone else !!

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 1