British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Birmingham V Belle Vue 26/3/14

The damage was done by watering it so much, when we arrived at 6.00 everywhere was bone dry but track was very wet, spoke to several people who had been there all afternoon and said there had been no rain but they had been watering up to 5.30. The problem is who called the meeting off too.

Who made the decision?

The damage was done by watering it so much, when we arrived at 6.00 everywhere was bone dry but track was very wet, spoke to several people who had been there all afternoon and said there had been no rain but they had been watering up to 5.30. The problem is who called the meeting off too.

. Think you need to get your facts right before talking crap!!!! About the track be watered all day??????

. Think you need to get your facts right before talking crap!!!! About the track be watered all day??????

The track was watered at 5pm. Why was this

• Like 2

Well had it not rained you would all be whinging and whining why the track was so dusty so no win situation..

Well had it not rained you would all be whinging and whining why the track was so dusty so no win situation..

Slick or wet Birmingham produces good racing. We all knew a little but of rain was due at 6. So the one thing u don't do is give the track a good soaking within an hour of the rain due unless u wanted it off. Which I think drury did a he knew there wouldn't be a big crowd.

I'll stand by drury should not have been the one to call the meeting of especially with consulting the home riders or away riders/management

Think the weather may win this one. Hope not though.

Defo looking for a win. Last year we ran you close in the challenge at beginning if season. Let's hope we can go one better this time round

Not much in this meeting for Belle Vue, if a good win, fans will say it was expected as Birmingham are rated as poor this year, and if they lose, fans will say that Belle Vue are not as good as some think they are.

Weather, as stated above could be the winner, bit of a mugs game following speedway away from home, a call off means loss of petrol money etc. Lets hope for the travelling fan that if it is called off, it is early enough not for them to make a wasted journey.

It would be great for Belle Vue to start a season well, as previous years we have had some disasters, everything crossed for this year to be different.

What's it like down there at the moment? Looks like quite a bit of rain passing over looking at the radar

showery, and forecast to continue for a while yet. Not too bad though

We're all guilty of becoming weather experts on the day of a meeting, understandably so given the costs involved of travelling to meetings etc. But when lots are predicting the weather to win (seeds of negativity sewn early on) why are we surprised when it actually does?

Not our money at risk when folk are put off by the rain clouds.

Edited by Reliant Robin

We're all guilty of becoming weather experts on the day of a meeting, understandably so given the costs involved of travelling to meetings etc. But when lots are predicting the weather to win (seeds of negativity sewn early on) why are we surprised when it actually does?

Not our money at risk when folk are put off by the rain clouds.

Difference was the predicted rainfall during the day missed the track. The 6pm rainfall which was predicted did hit but not enough to affect the track.

There was no point in soaking the track themselves. That's what my problem with this was.

I hardly think travelling away fans make that much difference to the takings, after many years of being shafted by a combination of the weather and promoters, I rarely now travel to away matches if any forecast of rain. I live near enough my home track to be able to leave going or not until the last minute.

Isn't it odd that when it suits, meetings are run in deplorable conditions, i e Belle Vue v Poole last year, which Belle Vue had no say in running the meeting or not.

This is one area where the speedway promoters have never improved things, in protection of the track in bad weather, covers appear not to be the complete answer, Until a stadium is built with a roof over it, the same wet weather call offs will happen.

• Like 3

I find it really odd that you would water a track knowing rain was imminent!

• Like 1

But when lots are predicting the weather to win (seeds of negativity sewn early on) why are we surprised when it actually does?

A better question might be "when lots are predicting the weather to win, why is someone watering the track?"
  • Like 3

I highly doubt GD called this off because of a predicted poor crowd as to be frank, by mid April, after riding a few meetings and a few results come in, I expect crowds to be poor regardless of the weather, hope I'm wrong but looks to be going that way.

It seems slightly comical to me Belle Vue fans complaining about track preparation :rofl:

Why? If the point they make is fair and valid why does what happens at BV relevant? Watering a trakc when it's due to rain is surely foolish in the eyes of everyone?

It seems slightly comical to me Belle Vue fans complaining about track preparation :rofl:

Granted history tells us that track prep is poor at our place. We are the 1st to admit it.

But last year track prep improved massively.