British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Redcar Bears (lc) Sunday, April 6th (3pm)

Rob Godfrey sacked Ben Powell on the same night that he aimed his bike at a Newcastle rider in a meeting. I think the case then went to the SCB and he was banned from riding for a while.

If Auty had damaged his spine or internal organs the kick that Richard Hall gave Auty may have had tragic consequences. Lucky for the both of them that it was a leg injury...

The rider he "aimed his bike at" was Kenni Larsen.

Powell was banned for 12 months, but seeing as he is yet to pay the fine, remains banned, although he "retired" after the ban order and returned to Australia, therefore, basically getting away with it scot free (other than the fine on the night).

Please don't tarnish all Workington supporters with the same brush

Auty isn't one of the most popular riders at Derwent Park with some justification (the Kenny Ingalls incident) but for what Hall reportedly did to him yesterday is an utter disgrace and he should be facing a lengthly ban. If he had internal injuries a kick in the stomach could have been life threatening.

• Like 2

Regardless of past history or the rights and wrongs of the racing incident, to kick an injured man when he's down is wrong and no serious sport would tolerate it..

• Like 3

My thoughts, If anyone has video footage please send it to Scunthorpe police !!

If Richard Hall is a big enough man to kick someone whilst lay on the ground then he should suffer the whole consequences of not just a disciplinary action from his employees.

I know if i did the same thing at work or out in the street what actions would be coming my way.

It will be interesting to hear Richard Halls comments..

It will be intresting to see what the Redcar promotion will do. I'd like to think they take a leaf out of Rob Godfrey book and Richard Hall finds himself without a club to ride for. But if the reaction of the Bears fans present at the meeting is concerned I'll be surprised if this is a case. At the time of posting this the Redcar promotion have been very quiet on the matter maybe they feel that this sort of action by riders is acceptable

Redcar Bears star Richard Hall has issued an apology and explanation after the incident with Josh Auth at Scunthorpe yesterday which resulted in him being excluded from the rest of the meeting:

I would like to make an apology to Josh Auty, Scunthorpe and Redcar Speedway (including my team mates) and spectators present at the Scunthorpe V Redcar League Cup meeting on 6/4/14. During heat 7 Josh knocked me off entering bend 1 of the first lap which resulted in an injury to my shoulder (which I had a major operation to repair last year) and extensive damage to my bike. After getting up from the floor, I heard my bike revving flat out under the air fence which caused the engine to blow up. At the time I was extremely angry, was in a lot of pain and felt devastated at the cost that Josh's actions had resulted in. As I walked to my bike I heard Josh Auty swear at me and out of anger and in the heat of the moment I kicked him, which I immediately regretted.
I am sincerely sorry for my actions which I deeply regret. My actions were out of character, I have never acted this way before during a meeting and I accept that I was foolish and wrong to do so. I feel I have let myself and Redcar speedway down on this occasion and am extremely sorry I acted on impulse and out of emotion. I was fined and was expelled from the rest of this fixture which I accept was a fair punishment.
Speedway is a high adrenaline and dangerous sport and it is easy to lose your judgement during a moment like this. I have no issues with Josh Auty, my action was performed in the heat of the moment and I sincerely hope the injury caused by his fall heals quickly. I accept that my actions cannot be condoned, I am devastated about the situation I have put myself in due to a split second decision.

I would still ban him, even after the statement. He was known to be a bit of a loose cannon and that cast some doubt in some minds when Redcar signed him.

If he's never done it before - and I don't think he has - I'd say what happened yesterday is enough in the light of the apology.

Richard did well to hear josh swear at him given his bike was next to him revving flat out....poor attempt to justify his actions

Edited by hunch
  • Like 5

Why did RH think JA was swearing at him? He could have been swearing in pain.

RH has always been a moody beggar. Even when he rode for Scunthorpe I wasn't keen on him as a rider. He needs to be banned - his behaviour was inexcusable. Even if JA did swear at him RH should not have kicked an injured man when he was lying injured on the track!

• Like 1

The rider he "aimed his bike at" was Kenni Larsen.

Powell was banned for 12 months, but seeing as he is yet to pay the fine, remains banned, although he "retired" after the ban order and returned to Australia, therefore, basically getting away with it scot free (other than the fine on the night).

I guess we won't see Richard hall on track this season if Powel got 12 months for launching his bike at a rider.

Richard did well to hear josh swear at him given his bike was next to him revving flat out....poor attempt to justify his actions

To be fair, I don't think he is. He did something in the heat of the moment (which we are all capable of) and while I accept the serious nature of what he did I think that apology is sincere and he's not known for such behaviour.

I'd give him a warning and leave it at that.

• Like 3

if someone had cost me 5k by being an idiot i'd find it hard to keep calm

and so would most of the pontificators on here

he has been punished and may be punished further so stop with the witch hunt

• Like 1