British Speedway Forum
Tsunami

Newcastle Diamonds V Somerset Rebels - Sun 6th April, 2014. Premiership

Well done Somerset on picking up the first silverware of the season winning both legs.Doyley and the rest of the 2013 team will be well chuffed.

Good win for the Rebels, taking both legs.. Impressed with Paul Starkes input so far..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Good win for the Rebels, taking both legs.. Impressed with Paul Starkes input so far..

Yes, Starkie can gate thats his forte, whereas Tom P couldnt and cant. Paul is a good team man to have around, never going to be a world beater, but can definately throw a spanner in the works against some of the bigger names, he is showing a good improvement on his average so far, and i would imagine the management are well pleased with his showing so far, keep it up Starkie.

• Like 2

Yes, Starkie can gate thats his forte,

On the evidence of Friday evening he can do it from the back too......stunning ride :t:

Yes, Starkie can gate thats his forte, whereas Tom P couldnt and cant. Paul is a good team man to have around, never going to be a world beater, but can definately throw a spanner in the works against some of the bigger names, he is showing a good improvement on his average so far, and i would imagine the management are well pleased with his showing so far, keep it up Starkie.

Starke did a reasonable job while at Newcastle a couple of seasons ago, and a more than decent job at Berwick last year. Somerset could've pulled off a very shrewd signing.

• Like 2

Thoroughly deserved win for the Rebels. A bit of bad luck for the Diamonds with Kerr and Rosen suffering major engine problems and having Lindgren at #1. The consistency required of a #1 is just not in his make up.

Todd seems to be a bit down on speed this week ,when does the first months average come out,don't what Charles going into the main body yet! Before anyone starts I'm not asking for Todd to go.

Edited by coomie

Poor performance from the Diamonds and defeat would probably have been heavier had the Rebels been at full strength.

It's early days but certainly there are clear warning signs. It's fine having a solid side without strong heat leaders if you have a solid top 5 coupled with powerful reserves but at the moment we look lacking in fire power and also weak at reserve - although that's no criticism of the riders as they are in the main riding to their averages and young Lewis is actually doing very well. Just not sure we have got the makeup of the side right this year. It looks like we were relying on Anton stepping up to ride at number 1; who knows he might do that in time, but not sure he is ready for that yet or will be at any stage this year. Lindgren is a good rider but he is inconsistent and looks exposed at the moment. On the plus side Robbo looked as good as I've seen him for a good while tonight.

Somerset didn't look that strong on paper to me but they were very impressive tonight and will clearly be up there again. Charles Wright in particular was superb. He has improved massively since I last saw him ride. Good on him.

Edited by NJC71
  • Like 1

Poor performance from the Diamonds and defeat would probably have been heavier had the Rebels been at full strength. They got 11 points from rider replacement rides so didn't miss Olly

As others have said, I think the deficit from Fridays meeting is going to be just too much for us to overcome, although I do think that we will get a decent win. Friday was a bad day at the office for too many Diamonds, and I think there will be a smart reversal of both teams performances tonight. A good competitive meeting with no injuries will do, as we say goodbye to a trophy that we have recently had a good relationship with.

I think we have better performers around our track, but it will be interesting to see how the Danish lad performs. Big performance on Friday with paid 15, but I don't expect to see that sort of score from him tonight.

Let's hope the celebration of the Rebels promotion is a bit more respectable in their moment of glory. Should be a good meeting.

Reminder that we need every sheeter to stay behind and pick the sheets up after the meeting. Thanks.

you were saying ???,,,

one to forget, for most of the Diamonds involved,,, :-(

Edited by ruffdiamond

Congrats to the Rebels for winning both legs. Their reserves are making a hell of a difference together with a decent quintet. 11 points from R/R for Allan. who hasn't always rode Brough that well. helped their cause. 3 blown engines and an engine problem for Christian, meant it was never going to be on, but I had hoped we would win our home leg. We didn't, so congratulations to the new worthy winners of the Premier Shield.

I think we have issues with the team, and some riders need to start producing as we should, and need, to be better that we have been in both of the legs against the Rebels. Sheffield was also disappointing, so Thursdays meeting against Redcar, and next Sunday against Sheffield, will tell us if some poor form is a bit more permanent than we hoped for. I am aware that the track was very tricky tonight, and until lunchtime the track was under water with the heavy rain we had during the last week. It took an enormous amount of work to get the track raceable, and you could see that some riders continued go carry issues with the track, even though it got considerably better after the break for the sun off. We did improve after that break, but fell again at the end to lose the home leg.

• Like 1

Well done Somerset on picking up the first silverware of the season winning both legs.Doyley and the rest of the 2013 team will be well chuffed.

very random?? :)

very random?? :)

Well they were responsible for getting the current team the opportunity to be able to race for this Trophy!

Lingren and shramm were really poor tonight for a man of his experience shramm should not be falling off as much and its not a case of if but when. Lingren is not a no1 and judging by his past three performances unless he ups his game we are really going to struggle this year. Don't know if it's me but I havnt been for a while and coming back it seems a bit flat there's no buzz about the place no excitement no one to get u on the edge of your seat

• Like 2

Hells teeth, what happened, it was tonight at too many times truly too painful to watch. First they lose a top rider who I was looking to see ride Brough {although heartened by their apparent 'weakening'}. Then I watch us let their team score 11 from his programmed rides as we ineptly bungle our way around our supposedly home track. Sorry for the negativity lads but trust me the view from the stands {a bright point of the night was seeing the excellent progress on said stands by the way} was often far from pleasant. That all said and done, can I move on to the plus points {yes, there are always plus points}. Its really good to see Robbo back to near his best and maybe soon at no1. to take the strain from Turnip 1 and allow him to regain his carefree{and best}riding style. Given his recent point scoring and soon to be re-assessed average Turnip 2 may also be in the mix for no1 and good luck to the new Swede and to the management for retaining his services. Young Kerr has had a rough baptism to the main body, but tonight I think showed his desire and further promise. With Rose I really believe we have the Kerr of 2013 in the making. In hindsight, did anyone watching tonight really think we could come back from 25 down, and given that, did not the lads coming into the meeting[mechanicals notwithstanding]really not just show what we as a crowd conveyed to them. Never have I seen a more subdued crowd at Brough and did the lads not deserve more encouragement from their own home crowd. Sorry folks treatise now firmly nailed and flak jacket buttoned up cos incoming fire expected and welcomed. As a PS, what was that parade farce.