British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A ORLOV

Swindon - Belle Vue 10th April

I thought the same, surely you'd take three bikes, especially if the second meeting is for your own team!

Thought the idea of having the same 2 young British riders at reserve for the entire season was to provide them with the opportunity to race at a higher level so as to educate and improve them. Should it be allowed therefore for a Premier League club to have first claim on such a rider's services when there is a fixtures clash?

Completely understand what you are saying, but with the rules saying that parent club has 1st choice, then I believe that this move was purely a money saving exercise & nothing else. Development wise, it would make more sense to get this experience in the PL & ensure they ride every meeting that they are fit for.

Cook would have set off from Cumbria with 2 bikes and all the stuff needed to ride at Poole and Swindon whilst staying over....wrecking a bike is unlucky and I don't know what else he is expected to do.....things like that have happened to better and more experienced riders than Cook....it was just unlucky.

Zagar as an out and out number 1 and I imagine being highly rewarded for being so should always have 2 bikes , although it is possible his best equipment was on the way back from New Zealand leaving him only one bike here ?....he should have. 2 at all future meetings though as the main man of the team

Cook would have set off from Cumbria with 2 bikes and all the stuff needed to ride at Poole and Swindon whilst staying over....wrecking a bike is unlucky and I don't know what else he is expected to do.....things like that have happened to better and more experienced riders than Cook....it was just unlucky.

Zagar as an out and out number 1 and I imagine being highly rewarded for being so should always have 2 bikes , although it is possible his best equipment was on the way back from New Zealand leaving him only one bike here ?....he should have. 2 at all future meetings though as the main man of the team

No excuses for either in my view. Zagar is paid well enough and has the resources to have two bikes at every meeting - all his equipment will be more than capable of winning EL races. I expect Cook won't make the same mistake again. Seven points from your top two and you'll rarely get a win!

• Like 4

Cook would have set off from Cumbria with 2 bikes and all the stuff needed to ride at Poole and Swindon whilst staying over....wrecking a bike is unlucky and I don't know what else he is expected to do.....

Take a third to cover all eventualities perhaps? That would be the professional approach I'd have thought.

• Like 1

Its nothing to do with ripping fans off, your statement is just totally incorrect, as i'm sure all barring Zagar have to score points to make money. A meeting in April or a meeting in August its all the same to them. The Aces were just rusty, I think that was a major factor, as well as a fair share of bad luck...that happens.. I'll even bring to your attention that I know of some riders who have it written in their contract that they have to turn up to a meeting with two bikes. Pretty poor form all round by the non obliging aces.

Don't fall for Drop a Cog's trolling on this subject.. he's made the same post many many times over the years.

He doesn't like playoffs, which is his opinion and he's entitled to it.

Where he errs is in his blaming of most things on them.. as in this case.

Edited by BWitcher

Nobody is going to lose any sleep over these meaningless early season qualifiers, a quick look back at the final qualifying table reveals that you only need to win around half your meetings and still win the pokc.

The smarter riders know the score and wasting money on an extra bike for what is basically a bit of a skid is just daft. I imagine they will start taking things a bit more seriously around June, for the time being it's just a bit of fun no matter what the score.

I expect there will be a few indignant posts about ripping fans off etc but that's just tough.

Crazy logic as normal ...you may have to win only a certain amount of matches but you will have the chance to win the same amount of points in March as you would do in June or July ..and if Belle Vue miss out by one point from making the play offs this defeat will be just as important as any other .

• Like 3

That's true, when some fans get all emotional about meetings at this stage of the season they just need a bit of reassurance that results in April and May just don't matter.

Totally correct, that's why they only give quarter points in March/April and half points in May/June.

• Like 3

Totally correct, that's why they only give quarter points in March/April and half points in May/June.

And as they are doing in F1 double points in the last meeting of the season.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 2

That's true, when some fans get all emotional about meetings at this stage of the season they just need a bit of reassurance that results in April and May just don't matter.

This time last season poor old Shovy was crying in his beer over a home defeat to wolves, it almost brought a tear to my eye.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=73139&page=9&do=findComment&comment=2267591

Ive no doubt he was comforted by my compassionate reply because he was back in true Shovy style as the season progressed and my words of comfort turned out to be the perfect vision of how the season would ultimately unfold, again!

You can chip in with off topic irksome posts in threads where your only interest is what I've posted (what does a troll do by the way? lol!) but it doesn't alter the fact that last nights result was almost as relevant to the championship as the press and practice skid the other week.

You never fail to make a fool of yourself :)

• Like 1

You never fail to make a fool of yourself :)

TBF, he has a reasonable enough point here. Dropping a few points now is not the end of the World. It might turn out to be, but right now, you have to remain hopeful your teams going to be good enough that it doesn't matter.

TBF, he has a reasonable enough point here. Dropping a few points now is not the end of the World. It might turn out to be, but right now, you have to remain hopeful your teams going to be good enough that it doesn't matter.

That isn't the point he is making in the slightest, if it was there wouldn't be an issue. It's his usual anti-playoff rhetoric.

He'll be telling us next again how far more fixtures are meaningless now compared to the old system.

Edited by BWitcher

Zagar explains he only had one bike because his others still in New Zealand and apologises to Aces fans. http://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.24448

All credit to him for taking the trouble to do so.

Totally agree & fair play to him for doing that & although at times he can be rather flakey an on form Matej is superb to watch.

Hope one day we'll see him as a Robin again.

Wasn't anyone rushing to give cook or zagar their bike for a race though. Great team spirit in the aces camp then.

Dull meeting generally. Track tricky and not conducive to good racing. Too much dirt mid track going into the bends and next to nothing out wide. Hold mid track and cut to the white line on the exit and you'd be sorted pretty much.

Decent performance from the robins middle order.