British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham V Poole Ela 23/4/14

How the track looks and how it is will be two different things Steve, If you walked on that track your foot would sink & be covered, there is a strict curfew at Perry Barr 10pm, the racing would have been non existent, It is the downside of Speedway the weather as we all know, I have been in the same boat having turned up many times only for a call off, Very frustrating for all concerned including the riders.

KKB what is she studying, Psychology ?

Using her friend as a care in the community study project, which she can later put on her cv as work experience.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 3

My girlfriend who goes Birmingham University attended this meeting and she was very angry with the amatuer set up.

How much does a cleaning job at the Uni pay these days??? :D

As I've said on Facebook I don't think the majority of fans would want to hang around waiting until the rain stopped at 8.30pm and then watch track work taking place in the hope the match could go ahead. Otherwise you make some good points - it was stupid to water the track beforehand.

Edited to put the quote in.

I also said that with an hour break they could have bladed the top off at least and try and run the meeting, particularly given kids weren't

at school the next.

Forget the 10pm curfew then.

I`m fully aware of the curfew. So in your opinion we shouldn't even try and just call off meetings if in any doubt? :neutral:

I do feel for you and the 'new' would be fans!

But I was there and I'm so glad they didnt attempt to ride.......it would have been a complete farce !

Not sure if you've seen a meeting on a waterlogged track? but it would have been very processional and you're newcomers would have been bored stiff!

I know in the old days they'd have put sawdust down, put overalls over their leathers and battled it out, but the modern engines are probably far too advanced to stand a chance of doing that now!?

The track was in no way raceable at 7.45pm, so to expect them to start at 8.30pm after yet 45 mins more rain ? was never going to happen !

I'm just glad they didnt try and rip us off by racing the minimum heats etc.....So well done to the management for that IMO!

Thanks for a rather patronising reply. I have seen many a meeting over the years and in recent times on a track that is far from perfect thank you.

You say the track was waterlogged, did you do a track walk after to confirm that?

As for `new` fans i most certainly wont be encouraging them to bother going again as they already have an opinion on how the sport is run.

Funny, i remember Pete Adams saying that it was `our duty` as fans to introduce new people to the sport we love.

Why would anyone bother when there is any slight chance of rain?

Like i say, own goal for Birmingham Speedway and British Speedway again.

I appreciate its a `difficult` call to make but if we only run meetings when the weather is `perfect` we run the risk of alienating more and more fans.

How the track looks and how it is will be two different things Steve, If you walked on that track your foot would sink & be covered, there is a strict curfew at Perry Barr 10pm, the racing would have been non existent, It is the downside of Speedway the weather as we all know, I have been in the same boat having turned up many times only for a call off, Very frustrating for all concerned including the riders.

Yes Moorski i fully appreciate that. I spoke to several regulars who also said the track didn't `look` waterlogged. I am aware of the curfew as i have already stated but its just a shame time and time again when in any doubt a call off is always the answer.

No mention of the watering that took place during the day tho?? When rain is due surely that is a suicidal thing to do??

Edited by stevebrum

No mention of the watering that took place during the day tho?? When rain is due surely that is a suicidal thing to do??

They did the same thing when Belle Vue were there.

OGT, on 24 Apr 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:snapback.png

Forget the 10pm curfew then.

I`m fully aware of the curfew. So in your opinion we shouldn't even try and just call off meetings if in any doubt? :neutral:

As a matter of interest, who makes the call off decision that late in the day?

Guest GiveusaB

I also said that with an hour break they could have bladed the top off at least and try and run the meeting, particularly given kids weren't

at school the next.

Thanks for a rather patronising reply. I have seen many a meeting over the years and in recent times on a track that is far from perfect thank you.

You say the track was waterlogged, did you do a track walk after to confirm that?

As for `new` fans i most certainly wont be encouraging them to bother going again as they already have an opinion on how the sport is run.

Funny, i remember Pete Adams saying that it was `our duty` as fans to introduce new people to the sport we love.

Why would anyone bother when there is any slight chance of rain?

Like i say, own goal for Birmingham Speedway and British Speedway again.

I appreciate its a `difficult` call to make but if we only run meetings when the weather is `perfect` we run the risk of alienating more and more fans.

Yes Moorski i fully appreciate that. I spoke to several regulars who also said the track didn't `look` waterlogged. I am aware of the curfew as i have already stated but its just a shame time and time again when in any doubt a call off is always the answer.

My reply wasnt intended to sound patronising? I dont know your history so far as speedway goes? I was just being honest!

You sound quite uptight about the whole situation !

The track was waterlogged and not safe for competetive racing ! Anyone who's a fan of speedway would agree that it was best to not even attempt to race? you even mentioned that the rain didnt ease off till 8.30 pm?

The riders and the managers took the decision not to ride.....I trust their judgement implicitly!

However, I would question if any watering of the track took place before the rain started, as this would be very inept of B'ham's track staff ! IMO

Next home meeting will see the current World Champion in action.....surely a great opportunity for your newcomers to see the world's best ?

So if you actually entered the track last night, then you will have re-admission tickets to use!?

My reply wasnt intended to sound patronising? I dont know your history so far as speedway goes? I was just being honest!

You sound quite uptight about the whole situation !

The track was waterlogged and not safe for competetive racing ! Anyone who's a fan of speedway would agree that it was best to not even attempt to race? you even mentioned that the rain didnt ease off till 8.30 pm?

The riders and the managers took the decision not to ride.....I trust their judgement implicitly!

However, I would question if any watering of the track took place before the rain started, as this would be very inept of B'ham's track staff ! IMO

Next home meeting will see the current World Champion in action.....surely a great opportunity for your newcomers to see the world's best ?

So if you actually entered the track last night, then you will have re-admission tickets to use!?

Fair enough but i most certainly not uptight about it!

You said ANYONE would agree it wasn't best not to race. WRONG.

Several Brummies fans, one of the Brummies riders and people involved in the meeting said the track was raceable. I was there and spoke to them! Your judgement then i`m afraid is one i would question!

I was reliably informed the track was watered during the day.

Why are you questioning if i entered the track and therefore have a re-admission ticket to use?? Its you that seems a little uptight!

OGT, on 24 Apr 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:snapback.png

As a matter of interest, who makes the call off decision that late in the day?

As far as I'm aware it is the referees decision after consultation with the teams involved! So not sure why Birmingham is being blamed. I accept that watering the track wasn't the most sensible idea though............

• Like 1

So not sure why Birmingham is being blamed. I accept that watering the track wasn't the most sensible idea though............

That is probably why B`ham are being blamed then! ;)

So, if Birmingham did water the track, then one would have to ask......

Why they watered it , given that the forecast wasn't brilliant?

If they knew how bad the forecast was, what would they gain by virtually ensuring a postponement?

detective.gif

If they knew how bad the forecast was, what would they gain by virtually ensuring a postponement?

detective.gif

Changes to their team for the rematch !

The use of the money taken last night.

Edited by A ORLOV

detective.gif

And what would have happened if they hadn't watered the track earlier in the day at all and the forecast proved incorrect with rain not hitting the stadium until after the meeting was over? I'd hazard a guess that there would have been just as many pages on this thread moaning about people being covered in dust!

For track curators it's always been, and always will be, a case of "damned if they do, damned if they don't!" :rolleyes:

Poole were prepared to ride it was the pussyos Birmingham that didn't

Edited by Pirate Oliver