British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedibee

Which Team Will Be The First To Drop A Draft Pick ?

Lots of questions and we will all just to wait and see for the answers.

Whatever those answers are Im sure there will be pkenty on here that arent happy with them!

It will interesting to see what date Bates is returned to the list.

Also whether he returns in a higher position given his u21 success.

Will he be returned to the list on a guest only basis (at least initially) as others who were added have been?

etc etc

I agree but given that the original draft rules were changed from clubs being given priority to secure the services of locally based riders to some kind of pecking order based on how crap the team was last season, then that should continue to be applied during the season.

In other words if a draft rider becomes available he should be offered to all teams in the order of their crappiness from the previous season. Coventry were the crappiest so they get first pick and so on.

This may mean some riders who have been trying their hardest being demoralised as they are discarded as useless but it's the success of the teams that counts rather than the interests of the rider. If it means several riders having to change teams in some sort of mid season merry-go-round, completely disrupting their season then that's just hard cheese. After all, if the draft was to be in the riders best interests we wouldn't have them riding for teams hundreds of miles from home would we?

Besides, offering any 'new' draft rider in the order of team crappiness keeps everything above board doesn't it?

Except (using your example) Coventry are no longer the "crappiest" team so certainly shouldn't be given first pick. By that logic Birmingham who have currently poor picks (and Swindon) would get last choice for replacing them!

Bates needs to go back on the draft list in whatever position he was originally in. Otherwise teams like BelleVue or Poole could drop their struggling reserve and it would make a mockery of the whole system

• Like 1

Bates needs to go back on the draft list in whatever position he was originally in. Otherwise teams like BelleVue or Poole could drop their struggling reserve and it would make a mockery of the whole system

Bates was seeded lower than both Belle vues and Pooles struggling reserves and Belle vue is a lot closer to Bates home near Sheffield

Bates was seeded lower than both Belle vues and Pooles struggling reserves and Belle vue is a lot closer to Bates home near Sheffield

He could well end up there.

In the S Star Bates did make a lot of travel time element which would point towards BV.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 1

For me, the most pertinent question is why was Lee Smart graded so high?

That appeared to be the one obvious inconsistency with the Draft.

He finished last season on a 5.76 average. Which is comparable to #29 Dan Greenwood (5.74), #28 Darryl Ritchings (5.94). Surely he should've been graded between those 2.

I know he's a bit older and more experienced than some of the riders at the lower echelons of the draft, but even so, it seemed rather odd.

• Like 2

If the draft system is genuine, then the most important thing is what happens in the next and subsequent years.

The first implementation was always going to be difficult, because there is a spread of abilities.

If the system is allowed to continue, then EL clubs will have to take a lot more interest in the development of British riders - and the overall standard of all draft riders available should rise, over time.

• Like 2

Unless Darryl Ritchings regains his place in the side I would expect Swindon will make a change. I don't think having Dan Greenwood is doing the club or the rider any favours.

Swindon have done badly in the draft, and the impact of currently having to use their third choice as a second rider is having a big impact on results.

As stated, if a team make a change then it should be from the same position in the list that they were originally given or below.

Or would current league position alter that? And how?

• Like 1

Unless Darryl Ritchings regains his place in the side I would expect Swindon will make a change. I don't think having Dan Greenwood is doing the club or the rider any favours.

Swindon have done badly in the draft, and the impact of currently having to use their third choice as a second rider is having a big impact on results.

As stated, if a team make a change then it should be from the same position in the list that they were originally given or below.

Or would current league position alter that? And how?

Again another poster who is looking to blame for your main teams performance. The rules are set and Dan is no worse a rider than Leicesters reserves. Just because Bates shafted Swindon it would not alter the 1 to 5 performances.Dan stayed on and picked up his reserve points at lakeside as you would expect from a 20 yr old kid on his 3rd season.

Ill repost this for you

Ok so from the current draft list who would you put in. ??

These are the riders who are above/below Dan. Or they can guest 4 times.

Brendon Johnson

Lee Payne

Luke Crang

Nathan Greaves

Matt Williamson

Above

Compton

Hopwood

As regards new riders entering the updated list on 1st of the month, from the current Nat Lg teams I see

Cockle

Armstrong

Aitkin

Wilson

These 4 would enter above Dan so can't use them unless the rules are manipulated.

All the rest in NL not on the Draft List are way behind Dan in ability.

It's ok in the past for you all to accept a foreign reserve and mechanic with flights accommodation van fuel oil tyre bikes paid for and costing the club loads of money and still struggling or scoring 18 a meet.

All these draft riders signed last November and they all get the same minimal points and mileage money,methanol fuel,tyre and oil. Nothing else. Dans crash at Poole cost over £1200 in damage. Stop winging and get behind these lads or stay at home.

Edited by morganbike
  • Like 2

It would appear that Max Clegg will be the first to go according to Norrie Allan last night. Max's confidence is low.

It would appear that Max Clegg will be the first to go according to Norrie Allan last night. Max's confidence is low.

They do love the old "confidence is low" quote when looking at replacing a rider do these team managers.

• Like 1

My point is that Swindon had one of the last picks in the first round, and then ended up with the last picks from the second round too.

So, yes, that gives us a huge disadvatage at reserve and one that we are helpless to do much about.

Who would I pick? I don't know about the riders enough to say. Just in terms of how the positions of the riders we have we are clearly at a disadvantage because our second pick, who would have been quite high in the second round, then opted out.

So Swindon may be looking to strengthen if they can purely for that reason, but it's not a criticism of Dan Greenwood.Nor is it whingeing. It's a legitimate opinion.

Also, Swindon's options should not be limited to riders below Dan. It should be riders at or below the original position of Josh Bates.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

They do love the old "confidence is low" quote when looking at replacing a rider do these team managers.

They always miss out the "in <rider's name>" bit between 'confidence' and 'is' ... e.g. "confidence in Max is low" ...

I haven't been a massive fan of Norrie and his outspoken ways with Max but I do think last night he was genuinly concerned.