British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Stags Vs King's Lynn Young Stars (nl) - Sunday, April 27th (follows Pl Match)

no ive only been to one NL Meeting so far

Apart from the gating the stags lads are well on the pace and not just trailing around or half a lap behind they just need to get out the gate

• Like 2

Apart from the gating the stags lads are well on the pace and not just trailing around or half a lap behind they just need to get out the gate

im not knocking the riders and to a point im not knocking scunny .my point is you shouldnt put out a team of 6 new riders in one go and therefore making the match a non event. Its not fair to the public. And why the hell use r/r . Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

im not knocking the riders and to a point im not knocking scunny .my point is you shouldnt put out a team of 6 new riders in one go and therefore making the match a non event. Its not fair to the public. And why the hell use r/r .

R/r is the rules for your first injued rider who is not number 1

we have basically not used it with tyler being number 8 then taking all the r/r rides and would have been easier just to have him named in the team but rules are rules!! (plus if we redeclared it would take arron out the team and he would not be allowed back in for next monday when he is hoped to be back)

Once again this thread like all the ones involving the Stags as ended up revolving around the rights and wrongs of running what some see as a weakend team just to make other promotors pay through the nose. The way I understand it there are 3 leagues of professional speedway in this country with National league at the bottom of the ladder and there fore the first step into the professional side of things, and is seen as the natural step up from the developement leagues .Yes every team likes to win and succuss is nice to see as a fan. But It appears that there are some teams within the National league that have a must win outlook similar to that of some of the top football teams in the country and rather than bring on young british riders like to buy their success. In the past we have seen teams POACHING TALENTED RIDERS ILLIGALLY from other teams. Or in the case of Dudley a few seasons back had AN ELITE LEAGUE RIDER in their ranks. Funny how some fans have short memoirs.

I'm no doute that these teams fans will now be up in arms saying their teams did nothing wrong and were playing within the rules of the sport, as are Scunthorpe now. Teams can't just cherry pick the best riders and not bring talent on themselves, then whine when they come up against teams that are trying to look towards the future because they are weaker and it's costing them too much. I'm not saying the present system is fair it isn't and does need altering. Maybe what is needed is a draft system like the Elite league have were by each team as 2 riders from the development leagues in their ranks. However until such time the rules are what they are, rightly or wrongly, and it's up to the promotors to change them at the end of the season. As for those who continue to harp on about double headers Scunthorpe have held them since 2008

Edited by hulvik
  • Like 1

Nobody is getting £40 per point in the NL bullet, so your example is irrelevant.

I know of one that is!

They have to have double headers no one would pay to watch this team alone .The idea is commendable but this is still a professional league and needs to be run as such to get support from the public

• Like 4

They have to have double headers no one would pay to watch this team alone .The idea is commendable but this is still a professional league and needs to be run as such to get support from the public

When Scunny won the league[and smoked you lot] it was almost all double headers

And is the NL a professional league???- no it aint

• Like 2

And is the NL a professional league???- no it aint

Speedway is a professional sport - and the National League IS a professional league; the riders get paid, which is the definition of 'professional' in terms of sport.

• Like 2

Speedway is a professional sport - and the National League IS a professional league; the riders get paid, which is the definition of 'professional' in terms of sport.

Parsloes, it's semi-professional. Professional suggests people can make a living out of it. I'd like to see you support your wife and your kids at £10 per point. :wink:

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

No one said professional sport was always full time or could be the only source of income, Rob. Not everyone in professional sport gets paid what Wayne Rooney gets (he's a footballer, btw !)!

But 'professional' in sport means that you get paid for it as opposed to amateur (which MANY other forms of motor sport are), where you don't and indeed often pay to compete.

And you're right, £10 a point wouldn't even keep my household in wall tiles!!

No one said professional sport was always full time or could be the only source of income, Rob. Not everyone in professional sport gets paid what Wayne Rooney gets (he's a footballer, btw !)!

But 'professional' in sport means that you get paid for it as opposed to amateur (which MANY other forms of motor sport are), where you don't and indeed often pay to compete.

And you're right, £10 a point wouldn't even keep my household in wall tiles

If you can't live off the proceeds it's an amateur sport or - at the most - semi-professional.

If you can't live off the proceeds it's an amateur sport or - at the most - semi-professional.

Amateur sport is run at the weekend to avoid conflict with work , so how is riding at kent on monday , cradley and IOW tuesday , kings lynn on wednesday and SCUNTHORPE on Friday considered to be amateur , other than to suit the argument of someone who doesn't think tracking scuntorpes team is anything less than shameful ? robbing the public , endangering the whole league , and making speedway look mickey mouse with 19-71 scorelines is shameful , How many rounds of scunthorpes amateur series are run on weekdays or tagged on to the end of PL matches ?

• Like 1

Whether the definition is professional or semi professional is a bit of a side show.

The main issue is that people are being charged to see this'racing'and the scores suggest that it is anything but competitive and entertaining.

Buxton are at Monmore tonight and, with the greatest of respect to them, I expect another high scoring match but I do expect Tony Atkin and Liam Carr in particular to put on a show and provide some entertainment and that is what it is all about.

The key difference here is the help that Tony can give to riders while they are out there on the track. Whether he scores loads or not he is someone that you can look and learn from. IMO that is what Scunny are missing. 6 3 pointers in one team does little to help them develop.

Rest assured that the efforts of the youngsters will be appreciated by the Cradley fans tonight and also when Scunny ride there. This is not an issue about the lads themselves, who I am sure are trying their best.

• Like 1

Technically yes it is professional due to payment. In reality even into the premier league it is a part time hobby.

How many riders are full time in the NL??? probably none

even in the Premier league most the brits probably have a second job to afford speedway and earn a living

How many riders in the NL will finish the season making money?? probably none not even those on "higher" points money due to stupid running costs.

Professionalism to me is about being prepared to do your job and put the effort in it deserves it does not require "how good you are!"

lets look at the conference in football, in there there is a mix of Professional "Rich Clubs" and also "Part time" clubs. Are you saying fans of those "Rich clubs" should not watch them against the part timers after all they are all salaried Pro`s vs a bunch of part timers and should walk the floor with them!

what would be interesting would be the views of some of the riders who have faced the stags this season who themselves seem very pleased and happy when they get thier points i dont see many of them saying " got a max today but it doenst count i only beat a bunch of amateur kids!"

Thats it from me now time to get to work.................................thats my real job not my part time hobby of professional photographer which i must be as i get money and so does the tax man!!

Edited by The Scunthorpe bullet

You're quite right Ommer Mon, of course these lads are trying their best, and I for one appreciate their efforts, no matter which club they are riding for.

Waco said in his posting this morning, and I quote, "They have to have double headers no one would pay to watch this team alone". I can assure you that your statement is not correct, because although I support the King's Lynn 'Young Stars', I intend going to watch the 'Stags' do their best at Buxton a week on Sunday, because I care about National League racing in general. There has been one or two no-hopers given a meeting or two for Scunthorpe so far, but on the flip side of the coin, there are some kids in the side that show a lot of promise, and given time and experience, they will probably blossom if given the support they need and deserve.

It's time for people to stop criticising and show some support instead.

• Like 5