British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Lewis Bridger (depression)

I've been there and tried to hide it for a couple of years which ended in me having a mental breakdown. You've taken the massive step of being open about your problem, so ten out of ten for that.

Hang in there mate, you'll come through it.

Good luck to you and your family who will be suffering with you.

Mike Moseley

• Like 4

Whether it is clinical or reactive depression I hope he finds his way out of it. He is not alone in his suffering but he probably won't appreciate that at the moment. Good luck Lewis and it's good that you have gone public about a subject that even today remains taboo. You may well have helped the next person suffering from similar symptoms .x

• Like 4

Good luck Lewis , been there and very hard to live with .

Get the right support and you'll pull through mate .

Just a thought. Lewis, Tai, Bomber, Ed Kennett, and Ben Barker all performing well below their best at the moment. Maybe it is purely coincidence, maybe they are all loosely connected by some common thread that is directly or indirectly connected to the pressures of modern speedway, the travelling, the constant need to perform, the special diets and everything that goes with it. Maybe there is a connection or maybe there isn't , none of us on the outside know the answer, but this is the time fro the fans to back off a bit and give our guys some breathing space and not be to quick to be judgmental about any of them.

The thread about Bomber was in particularly bad taste with people who don't even know the guy making all kinds of judgments about what the future holds for him. Time for the fans to give them all a bit support. The bottom line is we want to see them all at their best so let's get behind them.

http://www.lakesidehammers.co/content/

• Like 4

Whilst wishing Lewis all the best sorting out his depression I wouldn't think any of the above riders are on or have ever been on a 'special diet', except perhaps Tai as he looks the fittest of the lot? (At least he did do until he decided to keep changing the way he looks.) :wink: That's perhaps half the problem with English riders and why the likes of Nielsen, Mauger, Pedersen, Hancock etc. reach the top of their profession and stay there for years whereas they don't. I would also think Polish riders are under a lot more pressure to perform as they get dropped pretty quickly if they're not scoring well. Just my opinion. :oops:

• Like 1

Whilst wishing Lewis all the best sorting out his depression I wouldn't think any of the above riders are on or have ever been on a 'special diet', except perhaps Tai as he looks the fittest of the lot? (At least he did do until he decided to keep changing the way he looks.) :wink:

Well we know Tai is, and I know that Lewis is because he told me last year. I don't know about the others but at the top level the sport is all about keeping your BMI down. How do you think it is that all those that get to the top look so skinny these days? Look at them without their kevlars on and see how skinny their legs are. Freddie Lindgren was talking about it in Speedway Star a couple of years ago. He said some riders are virtually starving themselves to keep their weight down.

Admittedly a lot of these diets they have are very hi-tech and scientifically calculated and I might be totally wrong about it but with Freddie talking about it I just wonder if some bodies are not cut out for it. Who knows. The general point is that its easy for us to find fault from a distance and jump to conclusions but we don't really know what goes on in riders lives and why some suddenly start underperforming.

I suffered from post natal depression for 2-3 years, it was the medication that sorted me out in the end, took all that time though!

hes not up the duff.just needs afew good meetings and thats the best medication for LBR.but a mate of mine got tablets for depression and couldnt drive his car.bcos the doc said the medication was to strong.

Well we know Tai is, and I know that Lewis is because he told me last year. I don't know about the others but at the top level the sport is all about keeping your BMI down. How do you think it is that all those that get to the top look so skinny these days? Look at them without their kevlars on and see how skinny their legs are. Freddie Lindgren was talking about it in Speedway Star a couple of years ago. He said some riders are virtually starving themselves to keep their weight down.

Admittedly a lot of these diets they have are very hi-tech and scientifically calculated and I might be totally wrong about it but with Freddie talking about it I just wonder if some bodies are not cut out for it. Who knows. The general point is that its easy for us to find fault from a distance and jump to conclusions but we don't really know what goes on in riders lives and why some suddenly start underperforming.

Blimey, things have changed......in my days the riders had a couple of pints in the bar after the meeting and then it was the chippy or KFC in the van !

hes not up the duff.just needs afew good meetings and thats the best medication for LBR.but a mate of mine got tablets for depression and couldnt drive his car.bcos the doc said the medication was to strong.

If only depression worked like that. Unfortunately depending on the issues race wins are irrelevant, he has to be in the right place personally.

Despression, regardless of severity is a life long battle but once you get help the first time it makes it easier to understand and deal with in the future as you'll seek help far quicker.

Depression still today is seen as a joke, regularly told to 'just snap out of it', 'grow up you're not a child now' etc. Our little brains are delicate pieces of equipment, look after em' folks

• Like 6

No I don't suppose he is up the duff ha! Just saying what I believe sorted me out, I hope Lewis isn't clinically depressed and that a bit of psychological help will do the trick! Talking didn't do me any good whatsoever though ....

Look at them without their kevlars on and see how skinny their legs are.

Can't say I've ever noticed or seen any riders without kevlars on....but I don't mind missing out on that anyway. :lol:

I think, given the posts already on this thread, that its safe to say that depression is a very wide spread thing. (Hold my own hand up here.) I hope that Lewis reads this thread because it will help. I know this because I myself am not in a very happy place currently and it has given me a slight lift.

• Like 1

I think, given the posts already on this thread, that its safe to say that depression is a very wide spread thing. (Hold my own hand up here.) I hope that Lewis reads this thread because it will help. I know this because I myself am not in a very happy place currently and it has given me a slight lift.

It might be beneficial for Lewis to read threads now but it wasn't after Monday's match when he was getting the usual slagging off.

Freddie Flintoff, presented a TV programme about his depression and it included sportsmen like Ricky Hatton Marcus Trescothic and Clarke Carlisle and they said it was the constant pressure of trying to keep up appearances as high profile performers .

2 other riders have been named as possibles already and maybe they're off just off form but while it's our right as paying punters to criticise there must be limits. Physical injuries can be seen. Mental issues can't

All the best to Lewis, Iv been there and got the T Shirt, its no fun and what works for one person doesnt do the same for another, what i would suggest is that to continue riding wouldnt be the best medicine to take, but whatever way he finds is best for him, good luck.

• Like 1