British Speedway Forum

Ss you have been once this season and it was not a good meeting,but apart from that its been very good entertaining matches,i hope you dont stand on the back straight if you do attend because i the unsafe stand you refer to might not take the weight of the masssive chip on your shoulder!remember what the the facilities were like before much improved now

• Like 2

How can such a strong opinion be formed after watching one meeting? Every track has the odd meeting where it's all gate and go, some more than others, so it's stupid to think that it'll be like that all season.

An air fence is required at every track that runs a single speedway race and the effective place to pout an air fence is on the bends, it wont do much good on the centre green. Sight lines were checked by people who very varying heights to see if it was a barrier to seeing the on track activity of the riders, in their opinion viewing is the same now as before. The back straight stand structure is made up of welded steel tube and was assembled by a contractor who does similar structural steelwork for one of Britains major supermarket chains, is the correspondent who implies it is unsafe really saying that the previous structure which was made from left over off cuts of someones garden fence really preferable. Oh by the way it has been checked and approved by PLymouth City Council structural engineers, maybe his real objection is the name on the stand he probably thinks it should be called The Adam Bowden stand or only consist of two levels so it could be called the Bi Polar stand. Alex Davis absence entirely outside the control of Plymouth Speedway

• Like 4

So White Knight you're telling me to go and watch the devils at any cost and spend my hard earned cash even if the entertainment is poor? Give me a break and be a realist when they're significant alternatives for myself and my family to spend our money on a Friday evening! If the devils had a product at present which was value for money and was as enjoyable as it once was and subtle changes were made then quite possibly I would go but until then the opposite!

As you have pointed out if Many Supporters reacted like me then there would be no speedway, well I can't be alone in the way of my thinking because if you ever visit regularly you would quite clearly see for yourself!

At the end of the day, speedway is an entertainment business. It is for the promotion to put out a product that paying customers want and, if they don't, then if the business fails its at least partly their fault.

Speedway, in my experience, doesn't attract the level of loyalty that (for example) football does.

Having said that, I think you are wrong about what the promotion at Plymouth has (or hasn't) done. Everyone wanted Barker: you got him. There were loud complaints about Lemon being re-signed and Jensen left out; that was reversed. Katajisto has been a huge success and Newman was just starting to put it all together. Reade has been disappointing but I don't blame the promotion giving him another shot, and Benko was worth more than he got at Scunthorpe.

You have , in my opinion, one of the best racing tracks in the country down there with a terrific little stadium (again, largely down to the current promotion) with some of the best viewing around. It would be fair to suggest that the team hasn't performed as expected, so I think that on the whole the promotion deserve to be cut a bit of slack.

Finally, I am wondering just what you want. 10 points down against Somerset to 10 points up with some top racing thrown in, apparently. To me, it doesn't get better than that..............unless all you are bothered about is the team winning and not really interested in how they do it.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5

So White Knight you're telling me to go and watch the devils at any cost and spend my hard earned cash even if the entertainment is poor? Give me a break and be a realist when they're significant alternatives for myself and my family to spend our money on a Friday evening! If the devils had a product at present which was value for money and was as enjoyable as it once was and subtle changes were made then quite possibly I would go but until then the opposite!

As you have pointed out if Many Supporters reacted like me then there would be no speedway, well I can't be alone in the way of my thinking because if you ever visit regularly you would quite clearly see for yourself!

You purport to be a Plymouth 'Devils' Supporter. I maintain you are NOT!!!

Supporting your Team is more than just watching it win week to week, or alternatively lose. It is about involvement. You don't go often enough to get involved. You make judgement on ONE Meeting only - that can hardly be a fair judgement can it? IF your Speedway Club were getting your (and others) money each week - they could try to improve things - if they don't - then it will be finished. Then it will be YOUR fault (not on your own obviously, but you and those like you) - you will not be able to blame anyone else. If the Speedway did close I imagine you being one of those who moans - we have NO Speedway. Well - the answer is in your own hands - USE IT OR LOSE IT.

Do NOT complain about those who are doing their utmost to keep Speedway alive in Plymouth. They are a great bunch.

• Like 1

I still think it is odd they run most Fridays against the localish Somerset. That must affect both tracks attendances. I am often in Devon for the weekend and it really annoys me i cannot got to speedway on both Friday and Saturday.

• Like 1

I still think it is odd they run most Fridays against the localish Somerset. That must affect both tracks attendances. I am often in Devon for the weekend and it really annoys me i cannot got to speedway on both Friday and Saturday.

Speaking solely for myself, I agree. I would certainly go to both when I am on a southern tour but can usually only do one (Somerset this Friday) although I try to fix it that I attend when they race against each other.

They are 100 miles or so apart, though so I don't see too many of the locals taking in both meetings.

It used to be worse as Weymouth rode on Fridays too !

Speaking solely for myself, I agree. I would certainly go to both when I am on a southern tour but can usually only do one (Somerset this Friday) although I try to fix it that I attend when they race against each other.

They are 100 miles or so apart, though so I don't see too many of the locals taking in both meetings.

It used to be worse as Weymouth rode on Fridays too !

i would if the devils rode on satuerdays,will go when Devon ride whenever that might be

Bloody hell it's all gone off in here!

I guess I speak in the minority when I say I'm a supporter of speedway and not just my local club. I have often gone to neutral tracks and taken in meetings that have no bearing on my local club purely because it's the sport that gets me first, my local club second. I go for entertainment and if my team are riding and are able to win then even better!

I appreciate that people want to see their team win and when they don't scape goats are looked for and found. Look at Edinburgh (nothing against the Monarchs), they are flying yet Aaron Fox is barely scoring a point. Their supporters may be concerned about his form but they are supportive of him because the team is doing well. If we'd won all our matches would we all be over Ben Reade like we are?

When this team were put together most on here, in the speedway star and elsewhere said we'd be bottom or 2nd bottom when it comes to the league. They said Benko wouldn't get a point and that the team was just not good enough. Right now that's not the case, we had a good win at Rye House (who granted are poor at the mo) and got a point at a 'so-called' strong Somerset.

Facts are facts and that is that in the League Cup this season Plymouth have gained more points than they have ever done in this competition since they joined the PL. Now the group may be bigger than previously but our record is far better than previously. In fact had we beaten Ipswich at home we could well be in the semi finals with a win on this Friday.

Reade sadly is out of his depth at the moment but given Simota and Benko don't get new averages until after Friday why start bashing the lack of changes? Surely it was obvious that the plan was to await these guys to get averages before looking to change things? Should things work out we could have Benko and Newman at reserve, hardly weak! Plus a top 5 of Barker, Jensen, AN Other, Katajisto and Simota. That is not a bad side and in fact probably the best on paper Plymouth have had.

We always hear about lots of riders available, why don't we sign them etc. Sometimes we need to actually realise the rider decides regardless of the deal on the table. I know for a fact that two good riders we went after this season decided to go elsewhere for a lower pay rate because the travel was easier for them and who'd blame them! It's not always money!

I am shocked at the timing of the comments from the promotion regarding crowds and I hope they can get out there and bring the fans back by promoting the club to the local people but we all saw with Newport that sometimes throwing money at a top team that delivers silverware isn't always sustainable and a club is better than no club. Time will tell and hopefully things improve, for me I'd like to see bends 1&2 bladed as it's too bumpy and may perhaps be putting riders off giving it a rip!

• Like 7

I am shocked at the timing of the comments from the promotion regarding crowds and I hope they can get out there and bring the fans back by promoting the club to the local people but we all saw with Newport that sometimes throwing money at a top team that delivers silverware isn't always sustainable and a club is better than no club. Time will tell and hopefully things improve, for me I'd like to see bends 1&2 bladed as it's too bumpy and may perhaps be putting riders off giving it a rip!

I highlight the final paragraph of the post by Mikeyt, much of which is fair comment.

The promotion are better to highlight potential difficulties earlier rather than later, and I totally agree on the "Newport" parallel -- having a club, a track, a speedway in any shape or form is better than not having one, probably ever again.

I have been to Plymouth twice, once under the old promotion (in the Conference League) and once last season. Great track, and much-tidied arena on the second visit. Hope they can keep going in PL, but if it needs to be back to NL in 2015, so be it. Better than nowt!

• Like 1

An air fence is required at every track that runs a single speedway race and the effective place to pout an air fence is on the bends, it wont do much good on the centre green. Sight lines were checked by people who very varying heights to see if it was a barrier to seeing the on track activity of the riders, in their opinion viewing is the same now as before. The back straight stand structure is made up of welded steel tube and was assembled by a contractor who does similar structural steelwork for one of Britains major supermarket chains, is the correspondent who implies it is unsafe really saying that the previous structure which was made from left over off cuts of someones garden fence really preferable. Oh by the way it has been checked and approved by PLymouth City Council structural engineers, maybe his real objection is the name on the stand he probably thinks it should be called The Adam Bowden stand or only consist of two levels so it could be called the Bi Polar stand. Alex Davis absence entirely outside the control of Plymouth Speedway

Good post, but the view from between bend two and the stand where me and the lads did stand is not the same, we have now to go on the back straight stand to see bend three, the meetings this year overall have been top PL meetings, and the view from the stand is very good, yes the team could do with a change at reserve, but I would think the club are looking at that, no matter what I will be there, instead of so-called supporters moaning, get down there and support it, yes I have a moan now and again, but that wont stop me going, its great racing, with great riders, and great company.

• Like 5

Good post, but the view from between bend two and the stand where me and the lads did stand is not the same, we have now to go on the back straight stand to see bend three, the meetings this year overall have been top PL meetings, and the view from the stand is very good, yes the team could do with a change at reserve, but I would think the club are looking at that, no matter what I will be there, instead of so-called supporters moaning, get down there and support it, yes I have a moan now and again, but that wont stop me going, its great racing, with great riders, and great company.

So you are saying go no matter what? ... Not a great post

So you are saying go no matter what? ... Not a great post

So you would not go and lose it, not a great idea, in my opinion its great PL racing, great PL riders, and great company, stay home,you won't be missed, people like you will find any excuse not to go.

Edited by Devildodger

We are going tonight and we will always be there. Great atmosphere and supporters. I personally love my Speedway.

• Like 2

So you would not go and lose it, not a great idea, in my opinion its great PL racing, great PL riders, and great company, stay home,you won't be missed, people like you will find any excuse not to go.

The product isnt good enough. In any other aspect you wouldnt blindly pay for something if the service or product was bad, so why expect people to blindly do it now? Just because you are a sheep who meakly follows no matter what doesnt mean others have to. Obviously something isnt right or crowds would be bigger. Fact!! Which ends your argument. This promotion has conned us from day one with a lick of paint and a grandstand. They are making money hand over fist.. But if as suggested they cant make a go of it why dont they step aside and let someone else do it.... As they did with the previous promoter... I fully expect you to have some smart answer to this as you are a referee and from exoerience i know that breed well and they never can take critism well