British Speedway Forum
mc1874

Where Is British Speedway Going.

One thing that is not wrong with speedway at top level is the Grand Prix and the racing in most of them......I think they do more to encourage the average fan to keep watching and bring the sport right up to date for the 21st century.

The racing in them is better than most world finals ever were , bar the odd couple, and the line ups far better than most of the old world finals were....the GP' s are an excellent advert for the sport..the old world finals were superb in their day but by the 90's they were old tired affairs, well past their sell by date

The downside is the impact they have on league racing in this country , but I don't think league racing offers enough to encourage fans to come anyway, and certainly not enough to keep them coming back for more outside of the old diehards....the growth of the foreign leagues has as much to do for the watering down of the Elite League than the Grand Prix's I think as well..but the fact top level speedway in Britain is virtually a weekday sport certainly hasn't helped.

However I still think the best things about speedway these days are the Grand Prix's and the play offs...

Are you trying to wind me up? :o:P

One thing that is not wrong with speedway at top level is the Grand Prix and the racing in most of them......I think they do more to encourage the average fan to keep watching and bring the sport right up to date for the 21st century.

The racing in them is better than most world finals ever were , bar the odd couple, and the line ups far better than most of the old world finals were....the GP' s are an excellent advert for the sport..the old world finals were superb in their day but by the 90's they were old tired affairs, well past their sell by date

The downside is the impact they have on league racing in this country , but I don't think league racing offers enough to encourage fans to come anyway, and certainly not enough to keep them coming back for more outside of the old diehards....the growth of the foreign leagues has as much to do for the watering down of the Elite League than the Grand Prix's I think as well..but the fact top level speedway in Britain is virtually a weekday sport certainly hasn't helped.

However I still think the best things about speedway these days are the Grand Prix's and the play offs...

Can't argue with that.

But wish we had had the POs in the 70s and 80s.

The one off World Final had had it's day by the mid 80s the GP format has been a breath of fresh air and as you rightly say far better racing than the old system.

People go on about the '81 Penhall final at Wembley but I was there and the racing was in the main poor although the atmosphere was something special.

As you say the Euro leagues have grown in stature and as a result our league has become stagnated.

Crowds have disappeared and investment in the sport has all but gone with them.

The answers are there but nobody in authority seems to care.

Racing is the #1 priority for the sport. Who cares if the big names are there if it's exciting to watch. The best matches I ever saw were at the old NL level back in the 70s and 80s.

But we all know our sport and realise nobody is listening to the customers.

How long before the sport finally arrives at it's destination and realises it's been going nowhere for 20 years :(

• Like 1

We want less GPs, they mess with riders' heads and finances. In a sport where league racing is so important to the future of the sport the World Championship shouldn't be so incumbent imo ...And it wouldn't be if it wasn't owned by a private company.

We want less GPs, they mess with riders' heads and finances. In a sport where league racing is so important to the future of the sport the World Championship shouldn't be so incumbent imo ...And it wouldn't be if it wasn't owned by a private company.

theres no chance of it happening, but "proper" promotion/relegation, 7 man teams with no doubling up, no guests, and no dopey double points would enhance a bit of credibility back into lge racing..while you have promoters using the safety net of remaining in a lower league going through the motions, is just not enthralling enough...of course theres a financial budget, but clubs need promoters with ambition and forward thinking, and not just keep the status quo...fans wanting to remain in lower leagues, i just dont get either, sport has to be about winning, the mentality has to be about winning

I have said this in about 3 or 4 posts over the years (Will get shot down in flames)

Riders do not ride for OUR ENTERTAINMENT They do it for money, ego, adulation thrill etc etc

Also rans buy expensive kit, vans and all the gear for the ego, thrill etc (trying to get adulation)

Most motorsport in the world is competed in by amateurs for the fun of it (a select few who are either from very rich families/own good businesses or are very talented can race anything like professionally)

Untill we get 100s of amateurs racing for fun and maybe trying to turn semi pro (3rd or 2nd division) We will not get a thriving 1st division!

There are over 100 different BARC (British Automobile Racing Club) Championships in the UK! How many of the drivers inthese will be professional? 5%? 10%?

http://barcweb2.users37.interdns.co.uk/information/starting-out-in-motorsport

We need a thriving amateur rider base to get a thriving professional base!

Remember nobody ever said Motorsport is cheap! Its not (But I bet Speedway is one of the cheapest)

M

Is there a prize money structure for the Premier League ? Seems to be anybody winning it almost bankrupts itself in the process . Where does the money go that the BSPA draws in through big meetings like the ELRC and it's Premier equivalent ? We must be the only sport that penalises success .

• Like 2

it appears to me, speedway is now at the stage, where theres now, not such a mega difference between

el and prem, the step up/down though promtion, relegation couldd surely happen without a masive fallout

it appears to me, speedway is now at the stage, where theres now, not such a mega difference between

el and prem, the step up/down though promtion, relegation couldd surely happen without a masive fallout

Or one league of 16 or 18 teams
  • Like 1

Or one league of 16 or 18 teams

that could certainly work, just get away from rider sharing! tonights brit final, proving this point, unlike the 70s, 80s, the brit final is dominated by lower lge riders..

that could certainly work, just get away from rider sharing! tonights brit final, proving this point, unlike the 70s, 80s, the brit final is dominated by lower lge riders..

That was my thinking . The doubling up has spiralled out of control and the season is a mess . One league puts an end to that nonsense
  • Like 1

absolutely..some riders will say it stops them earning a living, by stopping them doubling up, but surely for the sake of making this sport look more professional, and credibility, this has to happen