British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Great Central

King's Lynn V Stoke Nl (16/5)

I read the posts and didnt think there anything untoward in them, certainly nothing away from comments that were being directed back at him. To me, Malcolm was just defending his corner. Hardly in the Scudamore League, were they.

In hindsight maybe the poster felt it was a futile excercise trying to argue the toss, as it seems certain people have a real downer on Stoke. Just seems a little unfair that Vasey is copping the flak for what appears to be peoples feeling toward Stoke Speedway. The guy is only the Hired help, can he really be held responsible for all the past misdemeanors at Stoke, that may have occured ?

• Like 1

He may be the hired hand, but he should not let himself fall into the trap of getting invoiled in a public slanging match, he does represnt Stoke Speedway.

If I were to go public with one of our customers like he has, I would not have my job very long

I read the posts and didnt think there anything untoward in them, certainly nothing away from comments that were being directed back at him. To me, Malcolm was just defending his corner. Hardly in the Scudamore League, were they.

In hindsight maybe the poster felt it was a futile excercise trying to argue the toss, as it seems certain people have a real downer on Stoke. Just seems a little unfair that Vasey is copping the flak for what appears to be peoples feeling toward Stoke Speedway. The guy is only the Hired help, can he really be held responsible for all the past misdemeanors at Stoke, that may have occured ?

A very balanced post to hopefully end a series of posts that has detracted from the Potters superb win at King's Lynn.

Clearly there is bad blood around Stoke Speedway, and in reality they are not alone in that respect and it is just a pity that both sides of the dispute cannot reconcile their differences for the good of speedway in Stoke and speedway in general.

Putting aside the Stoke issues, I personally struggle to understand why some spectators would rather not watch speedway at all than watch National League racing, a situation which certainly aided the demise of the Isle of Wight.

Yes sometimes the racing is strung out, but look at the GP's and EL matches and they suffer the same problem. Lap times may be slightly down on EL times but you can't fault the effort of the lads and one of the attractions surely is looking for the next star in the making. Didn't we all used to do that when watching the old 2nd half events in days gone by?

• Like 1

I agree with Great Central's comments on NL racing. I think it is a good product, with the notable exception of one team (and its not Stoke or Cradley!)at a reasonable price. Don't forget the top NL boys are going round tracks faster than Mauger, Olsen, Briggs and other greats of the past ever did and some of them are now regularly beating Elite League second strings.

Back in the 70s 'juniors' could barely stay on on the straights let alone the bends. That's not the case any more!

• Like 1

I agree with 95% of what Great Central says, the odd 5% being you were lucky at King's Lynn ;) Incidentally, I went on your railway from Leicester North to Loughborough on Sunday, and enjoyed a very nice meal on the platform restaurant in The Sidings when I got back.

The night before I stayed at the Premier Inn Central (A50) after having taken in an even lower standard of racing than the National League, that being the British Youth Championship, and what a joy of a meeting to watch. The Leicester public did the meeting proud, although it was a shame that one of the officials on the home straight was causing so much aggrevation resulting in heated arguments between himself and some people sat in the front of one of the stands. It was a case of him applying a rule to some younger people in attendance, but not to those who might have been old enough to fight back. One rule for one, and another rule for another can never be acceptable.

Anyway, that aside, the meeting of 45-heats went through in 3-hours (none of these silly long intervals promoters please note!!), and the crowd level was higher than anything I've seen at any National or Premier League track that I've visited in 2014. What really impressed me was that when there was a false start for any reason, the riders returned straight back to the tapes, without any need to put them on 2-minutes. Had it been a 'Big Boys' meeting so to speak, they'd have returned to the pit gate for a virtual engine rebuild, but not the kids, they just wanted to get on with what they were there to do, race and entertain the public. Programmes sold out some considerable time prior to the start.

I had a lovely journey home, taking breaks at places like Oakham, Uppingham and the absolutely beautiful village of Barrowden (I want to live there, but it's way to near Peterborough for my liking!!!).

Monday morning saw me up bright and early to clean those pesky flies and bugs off the front of my car. It's white in colour you know, and boy does it show the dirt. I could have had a blue car, but do you know, I'm not to keen on that colour :rofl: .

After an early dinner I went off to represent Ringstead Bowls Club in a match against Snettisham, and we won 6-4. Well I say we, but I was a 'ringer' really, because I'm captain of Thornham Bowls Club, and the worrying thing is that we are playing Snettisham this evening. I know questions will be asked, and fingers pointed, something that would never happen at speedway :P , but I'll claim that the side was re-declared with the authorities late last night.

For most of the day, I've been preparing articles for the Berwick & King's Lynn programmes (no snide comments about the KL pamphlet please) as I'm going on holiday at the weekend. I'm off to the Austrian Tyrol you know, and the long range weather forecast reckons it gonna p*ss down, but I don't care, because I've got an umbrella you know. Yes folks, they're on sale in the Track Shop at King's Lynn in a pretty shade of blue and yellow, even though as I mentioned with the car, I'm not keen on the blue part. The yellow is very fresh looking though you know, bit like a King Alfred daffodil, and I once had a yellow car, and it was a Ford Fiesta, but I won't go into that, because I have a white one now if you remember.

Great Central might not remember though, because he's not as young as he used to be, but hey, he's a very nice man you know. Salt of the earth some might say you know.

By the way, did I tell you I went to Las Vegas in March to see Celine Dion at Caesars Palace. I went on both the Wednesday and Thursday nights, being lucky enough to sit at the front both times, just in case she wanted to look into my eyes you know :approve:. But hey that's in the past, and next year I'm going to Texas, and I've already booked you know. On the first day, I'm visiting South Fork Ranch and having a meal there. I don't suppose Sue-Ellen will be there, well I hope not, because I much preferred that other bird, you know, the one that was married to Bobby Ewing. Mmmmmm, they reckon they were married, but can anyone actually remember seeing the ceremony on TV? My personal opinion was that they were living in sin you know :shock:, lucky devils.

Anyway before that, and before my Austrian holiday (did I tell you about that? Oh yes, I've just looked back and it's gonna p*ss down), I'm meeting up with my mate Jaybea and his lady Ethel (I'd better not tell you about her you know.........well I think its a her.....no on second thoughts......oh I don't know, I'm broad minded so it doesn't matter). I'm looking forward to that, because he waits on me hand and foot, treats me like a bit of an idol you know, but I can't be that, as Ethel fills that role.

Okay I'll finish at this point, as I want to go for a wee. I realise this posting has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever, nor even belongs on here, or any other forum come to that, but neither does one hell of a lot of nonsense that has appeared on here these past couple of days. So I'll say toodlepip you know, and be happy as tomorrow may never come. xxxxx

• Like 2

I agree with 95% of what Great Central says, the odd 5% being you were lucky at King's Lynn ;) Incidentally, I went on your railway from Leicester North to Loughborough on Sunday, and enjoyed a very nice meal on the platform restaurant in The Sidings when I got back.

The night before I stayed at the Premier Inn Central (A50) after having taken in an even lower standard of racing than the National League, that being the British Youth Championship, and what a joy of a meeting to watch. The Leicester public did the meeting proud, although it was a shame that one of the officials on the home straight was causing so much aggrevation resulting in heated arguments between himself and some people sat in the front of one of the stands. It was a case of him applying a rule to some younger people in attendance, but not to those who might have been old enough to fight back. One rule for one, and another rule for another can never be acceptable.

Anyway, that aside, the meeting of 45-heats went through in 3-hours (none of these silly long intervals promoters please note!!), and the crowd level was higher than anything I've seen at any National or Premier League track that I've visited in 2014. What really impressed me was that when there was a false start for any reason, the riders returned straight back to the tapes, without any need to put them on 2-minutes. Had it been a 'Big Boys' meeting so to speak, they'd have returned to the pit gate for a virtual engine rebuild, but not the kids, they just wanted to get on with what they were there to do, race and entertain the public. Programmes sold out some considerable time prior to the start.

I had a lovely journey home, taking breaks at places like Oakham, Uppingham and the absolutely beautiful village of Barrowden (I want to live there, but it's way to near Peterborough for my liking!!!).

Monday morning saw me up bright and early to clean those pesky flies and bugs off the front of my car. It's white in colour you know, and boy does it show the dirt. I could have had a blue car, but do you know, I'm not to keen on that colour :rofl: .

After an early dinner I went off to represent Ringstead Bowls Club in a match against Snettisham, and we won 6-4. Well I say we, but I was a 'ringer' really, because I'm captain of Thornham Bowls Club, and the worrying thing is that we are playing Snettisham this evening. I know questions will be asked, and fingers pointed, something that would never happen at speedway :P , but I'll claim that the side was re-declared with the authorities late last night.

For most of the day, I've been preparing articles for the Berwick & King's Lynn programmes (no snide comments about the KL pamphlet please) as I'm going on holiday at the weekend. I'm off to the Austrian Tyrol you know, and the long range weather forecast reckons it gonna p*ss down, but I don't care, because I've got an umbrella you know. Yes folks, they're on sale in the Track Shop at King's Lynn in a pretty shade of blue and yellow, even though as I mentioned with the car, I'm not keen on the blue part. The yellow is very fresh looking though you know, bit like a King Alfred daffodil, and I once had a yellow car, and it was a Ford Fiesta, but I won't go into that, because I have a white one now if you remember.

Great Central might not remember though, because he's not as young as he used to be, but hey, he's a very nice man you know. Salt of the earth some might say you know.

By the way, did I tell you I went to Las Vegas in March to see Celine Dion at Caesars Palace. I went on both the Wednesday and Thursday nights, being lucky enough to sit at the front both times, just in case she wanted to look into my eyes you know :approve:. But hey that's in the past, and next year I'm going to Texas, and I've already booked you know. On the first day, I'm visiting South Fork Ranch and having a meal there. I don't suppose Sue-Ellen will be there, well I hope not, because I much preferred that other bird, you know, the one that was married to Bobby Ewing. Mmmmmm, they reckon they were married, but can anyone actually remember seeing the ceremony on TV? My personal opinion was that they were living in sin you know :shock:, lucky devils.

Anyway before that, and before my Austrian holiday (did I tell you about that? Oh yes, I've just looked back and it's gonna p*ss down), I'm meeting up with my mate Jaybea and his lady Ethel (I'd better not tell you about her you know.........well I think its a her.....no on second thoughts......oh I don't know, I'm broad minded so it doesn't matter). I'm looking forward to that, because he waits on me hand and foot, treats me like a bit of an idol you know, but I can't be that, as Ethel fills that role.

Okay I'll finish at this point, as I want to go for a wee. I realise this posting has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever, nor even belongs on here, or any other forum come to that, but neither does one hell of a lot of nonsense that has appeared on here these past couple of days. So I'll say toodlepip you know, and be happy as tomorrow may never come. xxxxx

we have been on that railway too Mike !!

we have been on that railway too Mike !!

Bet you didn't have a meal as well though.

I would just like to say what a great start to the season for the POTTERS, regarding all this constant moaning from people unhappy with things at STOKE, then do not go as you obviously would like to see loomer road close, I think at the moment NL speedway is better than no speedway at all, so good luck to the promotion and Malcolm keep up the good work and try to ignore the negative wingers.

davyred,how long have you been going to Stoke Speedway , not long by the sounds of it.Nobody wants Stoke to close, just to improve and once again be were they belong in the PL.

If you mean by keeping up the good work Malcolm, that he comes on here threating everyone who does not give him a pat on the back every time Stoke win a match then so be .

• Like 1

davyred,how long have you been going to Stoke Speedway , not long by the sounds of it.Nobody wants Stoke to close, just to improve and once again be were they belong in the PL.

If you mean by keeping up the good work Malcolm, that he comes on here threating everyone who does not give him a pat on the back every time Stoke win a match then so be .

It's a bit of a lost cause mate I'm afraid as you say anything other back slapping and you get threats of court action,I think if some people think that this forum is about moaning they have never been on a football forum.

Anyone visiting the Stoke or Vale forums will know that supporters express there opinions however they see fit and if you don't like it tough and they never get threats from the promotion.

:sad:

Oh no, please don't say this all going to kick off again!!!!

Don't respond Proud Potter, it's not worth it.

Boozer, I'm neither in agreement or disagreement with your comments, because I don't know what happens at Stoke.

I've been a King's Lynn supporter since 1986 having previously supported Wimbledon since 1958. Needless to say, I've been privileged enough to watch all three levels of racing at the Norfolk Arena during those years, under the promotion of quite a few different people. Some I haven't liked. Some I've liked but not agreed with certain ways they've operated, but at the end of the day, it's their money they are pumping into the club, and they've got a right to run it how they want.

As I say, there's been things over the years I haven't liked, and still don't, but none of these things have been aimed at me personally, so its not worth getting worked up over, as life is way to short, and in importance terms of one's well being, speedway or any other entertainment is a minor consideration.

I'll be 100% honest here, as you know, King's Lynn operate in the Elite League, and whilst this year due to the Fast Track system, I am quite enjoying it, but prior to this, I hated it, and was gutted when they moved up from the Premier League, as it offers much more variety in terms of more teams and riders. I know for a fact that by speaking to quite a lot of Peterborough fans, that they are delighted their club has moved into the Premier League this season, and as I say, I can understand that, but that's my opinion alone.

Also as you'll know, we have a National League team at King's Lynn, and with hand on heart, this is my favourite level of racing, and travel all over the country when finances permit, watching the different clubs race.

However, going back to Stoke, if you've suffered personal abuse from anyone in an official capacity at what is now your ex-club, then that is inexcusable. But if someone at the club has responded on the forum to something you may have said that was possibly incorrect, and I'm not pointing any fingers at you before you decide to fire any shots in my direction, then you have to accept that gracefully, and either let it go, or continue the dispute privately.

I've been to Stoke quite regularly, both in their Premier League days, and of course now their National League area, and I enjoy the present level of racing the best, but that's just my opinion and I of course respect your opinion if you preferred the Premier League when you used to go. The stadium and facilities are extremely run down, yet in a strange way, that makes the place quite unique, and maybe that's what I like about it. I've certainly always been treated with respect whenever I've visited Loomer Road, and hope that will continue to be the case, although there is one lady who needs to smile a bit!!

A few years ago, I had a run in with Proud Potter over an issue at Scunthorpe, in much the same way you are now doing. It started quite innocently and got more and more heated and out of hand, and we both finished up saying things that were neither right nor wrong, and after a lengthy encounter, when we next came face to face, we shook hands with each other and from then on it was history.

I've got to know Proud Potter quite well over the years, and he is a good and passionate man who loves his sport, and will defend the club he represents to the hilt, in the same way he would if anyone was throwing any insults at his family, which is something we all would do.

Although I don't know you Boozer, I'd like to think that away from this particular dispute, you are a nice human being, and probably are.

It's your choice whether you ever decide to go back to Stoke Speedway again, and I hope you do, but if you don't, please for the sake of your integrity, PM Proud Potter and make your peace. Your both passionate people who care about something, and need to discuss your differences without getting nasty, because nobody wins.

I wish you well Boozer, and Proud Potter already knows I do him too.

• Like 1

Or go in the car park and sort it out there the old fashioned way !!!;-)

Tut tut Racin Jason 72, you're running a real danger of contravening psalm 2795, so I'd be very careful what you say, otherwise action could be taken against you :lol:;):D

Tut tut Racin Jason 72, you're running a real danger of contravening psalm 2795, so I'd be very careful what you say, otherwise action could be taken against you :lol:;):D

To be fair it does seem there is more action in the stadium car parks these days than on the track.