British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Coventry Bees 21/5/2014

Lookin at this result a little closer have to say its very harsh on poole, how often do you score 47 Points at home and still lose ?

All there team scored how you would expect possibly magic could of added a little more and they still come away with nothing, dont think they should blame riders and look for whos fault it was more just except sometimes in sport you lose no matter what your team does.

That's the problem though as Kyle is not scoring what he was before his injury & with a limited points total possible from the other reserve it means at least 3 of the top 5 have to hit 10 points or 1 has to be close to a maximum to win a meeting easily.

Might be time to swap Magic & Shamek round as Magic is struggling in Heat 13 & Shamek is the better rider.

Edited by Crazy robin

You're not grasping it.

The fight back and indeed many others I have seen over the years may never have happened. A successful tac ride galvanises a team, gives them momentum and added incentive to go for it. Without them the match can just drift along to its conclusion.. not in all cases I grant you, but in many it would.

As for 'not getting' that folk complain about rolling starts.. .. rolling starts are illegal... tac rides are legal. You see the difference?

There is no other sport comparable to speedway, so whether something is used in other sports or not is irrelevant.

I highly doubt Sky are 'calling the shots' either. The tac ride was brought in to reduce costs, not because of Sky. Sky is a convenient excuse now for the promoters to hide behind.

A t/r can at best bring scores closer on a single match basis but if the league is to be regarded as a serious and fair competition then it is incongruous that team A should scrape into the play offs by reason of a point or two achieved by the TR rule while team B misses out because they have generally kept scores closer and not had the opportunity of the bonus points that the T/R offers.

As I said, you either have a serious competition or you have a circus designed to entertain come what may. Maybe you just like circuses. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want but my preference is for a level playing field over the season.

• Like 1

No meeting report from Steve Shovlar? Is it a case of waiting for the 2010 PO final report i wonder..................................... :rofl::rofl:

Waits for the excuses to roll.

He's worried he may say summat that he may regret later, either that or he's on his hols!
  • Like 1

A t/r can at best bring scores closer on a single match basis but if the league is to be regarded as a serious and fair competition then it is incongruous that team A should scrape into the play offs by reason of a point or two achieved by the TR rule while team B misses out because they have generally kept scores closer and not had the opportunity of the bonus points that the T/R offers.

As I said, you either have a serious competition or you have a circus designed to entertain come what may. Maybe you just like circuses. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want but my preference is for a level playing field over the season.

So by your definition the league has never been a serious and fair competition then, as tacticals have been around in one form or another for 50+ years.

Let's also remember that the current tacticals provide the least advantage to a losing team of any rule before them.

• Like 3

The double points tactical ride facility was presumably introduced to keep the scores closer and therefore maintain more interest for as long as possible but sometimes teams taking advantage of this wins. This is fine, but I do not think they should gain maximum league match points as a result. If, by deducting the additional race points gained, which in this case is 5, the result would have been a 47-43 win for Poole, then they deserve a losing team's point with Coventry being given 2 and not the full 3.

Coventry didn't though did they? :unsure: The maximum is 4 and we got 3......I think.

........TesarRacing........ Personally, knowing Mick Horton I think he will stick with this team.

This is the man that ditched the whole 2013 team so who knows. :wink:

• Like 3

He's worried he may say summat that he may regret later, either that or he's on his hols!

He was there, unless of course he has a doppleganger ;)

• Like 2

So by your definition the league has never been a serious and fair competition then, as tacticals have been around in one form or another for 50+ years.

Let's also remember that the current tacticals provide the least advantage to a losing team of any rule before them.

I have never thought the tacticals were particularly good idea, but in the old days before play- offs and before the present system of league poinjts the effect was limited. It was a race for the league title and that was it. For teams finishing third or belie in the league it really didn't matter too much if things went a against them and they finished say seventh instead lofty fourth. These days it is far more intense because with the play offs, finishing fourth in the league is as important as finishing to and frequently there are only a few points separating the contenders for fourth place. All this is compounded by the present system of league points which means that a visiting team finishing within six points of the home team still get a point.

Personally I quite like the play-offs and I am very much in favour of the league scoring system but my take on it is that these developments mean the T/R has had its day, and I would rather see it consigned to history..

Edited by E I Addio

Regardless of whether the T/R is fair or not (and it often isn't!!) surely before much longer a team manager somewhere is going to develop a brain cell and tell his riders that when you go out in heat 9 or 10 and are 8 points (or even 10 if one T/R has already been used) ahead, that you DON'T then win a race 4-2 or 5-1 to extend the lead to 10 or 12 points so that a(nother) T/R can be used! At that stage of the meeting, its really the only remotely realistic chance the team who are losing have of winning the meeting, so why on earth give them that potential lifeline!!....2 teams, just this week (Lakeside and Poole), would not have lost their meetings if they had used a bit of common sense in heats 9 and/or 10!!

• Like 1

It's just not right to nominate a rider to score double because they are being fairly beaten, that's always been the complaint. The TS would still penalise a team for winning but is far more credible than 6 points for the win, because you are losing. As others state, when it's works for your team you take it (as I did in 2006), when it's against you it's a joke®. None of us like it in the WTC but that's TS and TR.

We all like a close meeting but double points - it's a knockout!!! Why should teams / riders give up if a meeting is beyond them? What do points make? I would guess many of today's riders are motivated by their pay packet rather than the teams success. Make them earn it.

I know, here we go again.

Well done Coventry for taking advantage of the rules.

• Like 1

Regardless of whether the T/R is fair or not (and it often isn't!!) surely before much longer a team manager somewhere is going to develop a brain cell and tell his riders that when you go out in heat 9 or 10 and are 8 points (or even 10 if one T/R has already been used) ahead, that you DON'T then win a race 4-2 or 5-1 to extend the lead to 10 or 12 points so that a(nother) T/R can be used! At that stage of the meeting, its really the only remotely realistic chance the team who are losing have of winning the meeting, so why on earth give them that potential lifeline!!....2 teams, just this week (Lakeside and Poole), would not have lost their meetings if they had used a bit of common sense in heats 9 and/or 10!!

That's what I thought, but the Lakeside result would've been 44-45 (no change) surprisingly!

It makes me laugh whne people say, "dont go far enough ahead to us a TR". You drop a point, your opponents gain a points. So thats a 2 point difference. You give away two points to maybe stop 3 points. Just go all out to win!

It makes me laugh whne people say, "dont go far enough ahead to us a TR". You drop a point, your opponents gain a points. So thats a 2 point difference. You give away two points to maybe stop 3 points. Just go all out to win!

Spot on, it just once again highlights that the TR is not as powerful in terms of pts gained as some think it is..

In the past it was much more important not to go 6 ahead at the wrong time, because the next heat could go from an expected 4-2 or 5-1 to you... to a 5-1 against.

Now just get the pts as and when you can.

• Like 1

As I recall, you couldn't use the TS until after heat 6. To which a team could be 24 pts behind before you can attempt to pull 4 back. With the TR you can gain 7 as soon as 10 behind. How can that not be more advantageous? Maybe I've missed something.

You could use a ts any heat after heat 4.

A tr now gives u a max 3 point gain e.g. turns a 5-1 to a 8-1.

A double ts could change a 1-5 to a 5-1 which is an eight point gain.

This h a s been explained a million times.

This meeting though was a rare occasion where the current system was more beneficial to tge trsiling ream.

• Like 1

Is no-one else worried about Steve Shovlar not making an appearance yet? Depression is an awful illness and shouldn't be ignored. Can someone down Dorset way check if he is okay and hasn't jumped in the nearest canal.

• Like 2