British Speedway Forum
semion

Kings Lynn Stars V Poole Pirates Thursday 22nd May

I'm amazed of all this talk about the fast track riders, who are right and who is wrong. To argue about the list now is ridiculous. My biggest concerns are about the differences in the CMA because of what category they are riding against, and what will happen to them next year. All this has yet to be announced.

But the plus factor of the FTR is that, now we have at least a dozen young brits all competing in the top league and getting wonderful experiences and progressing at a far greater speed than they would other wise have done. Adam Ellis, Joe Jacobs, Paul Starke, Ashley Morris, Kyle Newman, Jason Garrity and Lewis Kerr are all riders that have impressed this year and will no doubt be top name for the future.

It been along time since we had so much talent coming through the ranks and that can only be good for British Speedway.

Long may it continue.

Regarding the CMA -It has been announced-FTR`s are not getting averages this year.As for the rest-bit OTT in my opinion-7 riders to be " top names " in the future- 1 or 2 making it will be a bonus.

I said classed. Commentators are saying it is a big step up for these guys riding 2 leagues above what they are use to so that must mean NL right? the PL riders on the list are all PL reserves apart from Blackbird and Kerr. All I am saying teams have got riders who will not score a point unless there are 3 riders in the race whilst Lynn have a not far off PL heat leader and that is the only reason why they are top in my opinion.

ANY rider stepping up to the EL is a big step up particularly those with little experience. Only Newman has had any sort of proven pedigree in the EL. The rest were a complete lottery.

It is no surprise the likes of Kerr and Ellis are doing well because they are highly rated - which is exactly what the draft is aimed at helping.

Just smacks of petty jealousy when all your remarks are aimed at one rider and one club.

Perhaps WHEN he reaches PL heat leader standard he will have exceeded the expectations before him.

Kerr does NOT make the Stars top alone. That is doing them a total disservice.

They have got 2 powerful leaders which IMHO virtually ensures them a top 4 position.

They have the most exciting young Brit since Tai Woffinden appeared in the NL/PL who is already beating much better and experienced riders.

The have Porsing who is also taking vital scalps.

Whilst of course Kerr is probably THE pick of the Draft riders.

It is all to do with team building, the Stars have built THE best team this season. End of.

The Stars to me are the most exciting team to watch since the Witches line up of 98, IMO.

• Like 3

Ellis, Newman, Morris and Kerr all got their reserve places as of right because they were club assets as well as being on the draft list..............the others did not...............

If it was felt they warranted fast track experience then the right decision was made to put all of them (assuming you mean Stefan Nielsen not Simon) in the draft..............

In fact Newman is doing better at EL level than he is at PL level at the moment..............

RP

Lets have a look at the statement of doing better in the EL than the PL.......is it because of the 2 protected races and the weakness of the 2nd strings that give him an easier ride.... ;)

In the PL there is a lot of riders of a good standard and the PL vetoed the FT system because it would weaken their product.

How long to draft riders stay draft riders...are they still draft riders for next season or does it depend on how they do ?

Sorry if it's a daft question

In my opinion the only reason Lynn are top is because they have got a not far off PL heat leader at reserve.

And that's the only reason? OK?

What's the weather like in GaterWorld today? Bright and sunny in the real world :approve:

Hmm, don't think that's daft question at all..... Don't know the answer though..

And back to Kerr being in the draft, there's some folk out there moaning about the likes of Josh Auty/Ashley Birks not being in the draft, they were PL ht leaders last season!!! You can't please all the people, all the time!!

There were always going to be disparity with some riders improving at a vastly faster rate than others...

.......PLUS......

How do riders leave the draft in an upwards manner??? And when????

The reason King Lynn are top is not just because of Kerr.

The elite leagues best rider at number 1.

Another rider in the elite league top 10 in Bjerre and a solid third heat leader in Schlein. Nobody has a heat leader trio like Lynn.

Porsing is doing a good job at number 2 and wouldnt mind betting his average is up there with all the other number 2's

People forget Lambert is a 3 pointer and 16 years of age and is holding his own but he was a gamble.

Rose is one of the best number 7's as well.

Its called good team building - the strongest in the league

• Like 5

Personally I can see Kerr in the main body of the Stars line up in 2015, on his converted PL average of around 3.80

Other riders could do the same if they like, and if they don't have a PL average, they can come into the main 1-5 on a 3.00 average like young Lambert did.

I hope the FTD system carries on for at least next season.

Good decision to leave Auty and Birks out. Exactly my point Robert Lambert was going to D/UP in the PL with the Diamonds on a 3.00 average and Lewis Kerr has more than double that average in the PL yet Kerr is a reserve and Lambert is in the main body of the team. Kerr will stay at reserve the whole season.

yes but Lambert could have been in the draft but Lynn wanted Kerr and Lambert and it is a big risk to have Lambert in the top 5.

its called good team building. If Lambert was at 6 could they have found someone good enough to ride at 4?

Good decision to leave Auty and Birks out. Exactly my point Robert Lambert was going to D/UP in the PL with the Diamonds on a 3.00 average and Lewis Kerr has more than double that average in the PL yet Kerr is a reserve and Lambert is in the main body of the team. Kerr will stay at reserve the whole season.

Lambert was never going up double-up because it's against the rules - the same rules that stopped Ward riding for Ipswich after he had signed for Lynn.

With the introduction of the draft there was always going to be a disparity, simply because there aren't yet enough Brits coming through of a similar standard. If the draft idea is persevered with, it *should* encourage promoters to get more interested in finding more Brits - even if they can only be nurtured through a handful of feeder tracks.

Riders though will always be at different stages of development.

Newman is 21-22 and has been racing speedway for years. Kerr is 24-25 and is one of the MotoX riders who swapped over - I'm sure he was track reserve for the 2010 ELRC at P'boro, then missed a season because of a badly broken ankle. Blackbird is 27-28(!) and is only now making a break-through after returning from a self-imposed sabbatical (IIRC he's a fully qualified plumber?).

Ellis is 18-19, grew up racing grasstrack in France and didn't slide a speedway bike until 2 years ago.

Edited by Had Enough

Just imagine if we had have had Lambert at 6 and Kerr at 7?!? I think the BSF would be in meltdown!

The gamble (albeit a gamble which most teams would have taken) was on Lambert on a 3 pt average in the 1-5, as that allowed us to go big on 3 top heat leaders.

As many of said, it's just good team building and Rob and Buster look to have got it spot on.

Just waiting for the usual mid-season rider roundabout shuffle at other teams to kick in where somehow some team will end up with a SGP wildcard rider in one of the reserve slots as in previous years : ) LOL

• Like 1

Maybe your anger should be channelled towards Swindon to get them to actually give young Brits a chance. Maybe then your team might reap the benefits in the future.

• Like 2

How long to draft riders stay draft riders...are they still draft riders for next season or does it depend on how they do ?

Sorry if it's a daft question

it's not a daft question at all.............it's a draft question!!

I like the idea of Brits coming through but as a Swindon fan it makes me mad to see us with riders who cant score a point unless there are 3 riders in a race and the look at Kerr with a 6.26 PL average for Lynn. Kerr is beating second strings with ease and it is because he should not be part of the draft he is too good.

Blinkin mobile posted my message before I'd finished, but it's complete now :-)

Some promoters clearly didn't have a clue about the riders, having previously not bothered to follow their scores/progress ... so the draft was always going to be a gamble.

• Like 1

I like the idea of Brits coming through but as a Swindon fan it makes me mad to see us with riders who cant score a point unless there are 3 riders in a race and the look at Kerr with a 6.26 PL average for Lynn. Kerr is beating second strings with ease and it is because he should not be part of the draft he is too good.

I can understand your frustration as a seindon fan, cos u got screwed when you lost bates.

But kerr should be a draft rider this year, and next year too in my view.

Draft should be maybe any brit under 21, or any brit under 27 with less than say 3 years el experience. Aim should be to get the drsft pool stronger, not instantly promote riders just to even out the pool.

• Like 4