British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

Tommy Jansson - Anniversary - 20\05\1975

It was a tragedy and no mistake and although i would just like to correct you TWK, that it was actually 1976 that we lost Tommy.

I would like to apologise for my typo in Posting the incorrect Date. I must be more careful in future.

Sorry.

I was at Monmore that night (Gary's accident)and somehow you just knew that something was seriously wrong as soon as it happened. It was a dreadful feeling leaving the Stadium that night and one that has never left me when I think back. Thank God for air fences they have already prevented some serious accidents.

As far as Tommy is concerned, he was a great prospect and I have no doubt he would have put in a very serious challenge for the World Championship. His style was something to behold. I will never know how he managed to twist his left leg to get his foot facing forward. Again his passing stunned the Speedway world.

RIP both.

HIs racing style was superb,maybe only Simmo and Adams come close on that front.As for Gary i only see him ride three times and i can remember it in 75 also i still have the speedway star with Gary on the front RIP both.
  • Like 1

I always remember learning about Tommys sad accident, the Aces were down at Newport and i had got up early to travel and my dad told me there had been a serious accident concerning Tommy, what a shock that was, he was a superb rider, exciting to watch and for me he would probably have gone on to be a world champion, a great rider and a sad passing RIP Tommy Jansson.

• Like 1

39 years ago today. :sad:

https://twitter.com/SBLretro/status/600992122926424065

Tommy is gone but Tommy's brother and Tommy's nephew are still very involved with Smederna.

Bosse is managing the kids/youth including the speedway school.

Bosses's son Jimmy is the team manager and sports director for Smederna's Elitserien team.

Jimmy to the right with his companion Stefan Jarl to the left. http://www.racemagazine.se/speedway/smederna-och-elit-vetlanda-till-semifinal/

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 2

Coming from a family of Dons fans I've heard so much about Tommy, he died the year I was born so I never got to see him ride. He is talked about in the same way as Ronnie Moore and we all know how good he was. RIP Tommy.

There is always a mystical bond between him and those of us who knew him then, the strength of which has not diminished since and never will. He was and is the embodiment of the 'Once and future King'.

• Like 1

I have just said to my wife that its now 39 years ago since we lost Tommy and she has just said it was one of the worst days of her life when she heard the news. She was a ardent Wimbledon supporter when we met (I supported Wembley) never missing a home meeting and going to as many away fixtures as possible but the death of Tommy changed things for her totally. She continued to go for a couple of years after his death but she could not find the enthusiasm to keep going like she used to and after a couple of years drifted away from the sport totaly.

The loss of Tommy finished her love of speedway and to be honest I think it was the start of the downward spiral for Wimbledon speedway as well.

Sleep well Tommy, the world misses you.

I have just said to my wife that its now 39 years ago since we lost Tommy and she has just said it was one of the worst days of her life when she heard the news. She was a ardent Wimbledon supporter when we met (I supported Wembley) never missing a home meeting and going to as many away fixtures as possible but the death of Tommy changed things for her totally. She continued to go for a couple of years after his death but she could not find the enthusiasm to keep going like she used to and after a couple of years drifted away from the sport totaly.

The loss of Tommy finished her love of speedway and to be honest I think it was the start of the downward spiral for Wimbledon speedway as well.

Sleep well Tommy, the world misses you.

Yes - it was a very sad day for all of Speedway.

R.I.P. + Tommy.

Saw him once.

18 point maximum for Y Sweden against Y England on a track he had never seen.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall his death being mentioned on News At Ten.

It was a shock and a sad day for the sport.

The list of speedway deaths is quite staggering and each one is a tragedy. The speedway family is close knit and fans feel the passing of a rider, no matter who he may be or which team he rides for. I well remember Tommy and Gary, and Tad Teodorowicz and Dave Wills whom I had the sad misfortune to witness crashing at West Ham.

So yes, we must remember Tommy and all the others.

• Like 2

The list of speedway deaths is quite staggering and each one is a tragedy. The speedway family is close knit and fans feel the passing of a rider, no matter who he may be or which team he rides for. I well remember Tommy and Gary, and Tad Teodorowicz and Dave Wills whom I had the sad misfortune to witness crashing at West Ham.

So yes, we must remember Tommy and all the others.

Well said CHR.

Of course you are right.