British Speedway Forum

Even with rolling averages, if your scores go up your average will too!

Surely it depends on what is dropping off at the other end of the scores, i.e. what the sum of the set is?

• Like 2

Surely it depends on what is dropping off at the other end of the scores, i.e. what the sum of the set is?

At the same time, if your scores have gone up it's irrelevant what is being dropped off, as they must be lower than what's being scored now.

At the same time, if your scores have gone up it's irrelevant what is being dropped off, as they must be lower than what's being scored now.

Here's an illustration (I'm not sure how many drop off, or how many come in, but it should explain the point):

• 4 scores drop off of 8, 7, 7, 6 = 28
  • Scores in the middle are not as good
  • Form starts to pick up
  • 4 latest scores come in of 6, 6, 7, 8 = 27

So, recent results are improving (based on everything in between), but the rolling average would still drop.

It's the sum of the set of scores that are crucial.

Another way to think of it.

Plot the scores on a bar chart. If the scores are a smiley shape with a slight grin to the left, then the rolling average will decrease; if it has a grin to the right, it will increase.

Sunday morning!

• Like 2

Here's an illustration (I'm not sure how many drop off, or how many come in, but it should explain the point):

• Form starts to pick up
So, recent results are improving (based on everything in between), but the rolling average would still drop.

Plot the scores on a bar chart. If the scores are a smiley shape with a slight grin to the left, then the rolling average will decrease; if it has a grin to the right, it will increase.

Sunday morning!

The quote was that his scores have gone up this year - in which case by now based over 24 meetings which rolling averages are, his average would of risen.

• Like 1

• Form starts to pick up

Sunday morning!

His average would still drop which is th point that is being made.

His average would still drop which is th point that is being made.

I think Sarah made the original point that his scores were improving recently, no reference to his average.

May I refer you to the following post:

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=76616&p=2458609

Edited by bigeddiechek

I think Sarah made the original point that his scores were improving recently, no reference to his average.

Your bored again.

the post says this season,

The quote was that his scores have gone up this year - in which case by now based over 24 meetings which rolling averages are, his average would of risen.

The quote was his scores are picking up, and - if you look at my example - not necessarily.

• Form starts to pick up

Sunday morning!

if his first for scores were 28 and his most recent scores are 27 then his scores have dropped in the World of any sane person :/

if his first for scores were 28 and his most recent scores are 27 then his scores have dropped in the World of any sane person :/

Read the post a bit more carefully, SCB, I expect better than this from you.

He not sane!!
  • Like 1

He not sane!!

Well, clearly no more same than some...

Well, clearly no more same than some...

when I look at the 1st post in this thread I do wonder about you.You clearly making up some stories.Read the Berwick E letter again.