British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

I wish the Leicester track had been based on Blackbird Road, never mind. Good luck though

The stadium footprint was/is nowhere near large enough....

I am back working in Manchester next week. Is it worth me making the effort to go and admire the progress being made?

No, all that been done is a small tarmac car park to put a portacabin on. Hockey still playing there so nothing else going to happen yet.

No, all that been done is a small tarmac car park to put a portacabin on. Hockey still playing there so nothing else going to happen yet.

Forgive me for Laughing Out Loud.

So cynical about this that ... (1) it's either never going to happen, or (2) the track will be a flat and/or narrow waste of time.

well, according to the official east manchester regeneration site it will be ready in 2016..

I don't doubt that really, but the overall gumph of British Speedway makes it difficult to believe anything.

I do wonder though at the decision to call this new place the National Speedway Stadium ... it demonstrates how far the sport has descended, and the overall lack of ambition. Surely it couldn't be used to stage a GP?!

I do wonder though at the decision to call this new place the National Speedway Stadium ... it demonstrates how far the sport has descended, and the overall lack of ambition. Surely it couldn't be used to stage a GP?!

I thought that it was to be used as a (reasonably) central training facility: hence the 'National' title. This is something which is badly needed.

Forgive me for Laughing Out Loud.

So cynical about this that ... (1) it's either never going to happen, or (2) the track will be a flat and/or narrow waste of time.

This topic has attracted a few bampots over it's time, but you've got to admire this late bid for the chief bampot title.

• Like 6

This topic has attracted a few bampots over it's time, but you've got to admire this late bid for the chief bampot title.

Even cynical old me had a chuckle. Even I think it's going to happen now, will need to wait for it to be complete before deciding if it's what we were promised though.

Am I not allowed to be cynical? Is there somewhere you can point me to see what the actual track will be like? All I've seen so far are architect drawings, and the track looks just the way a non-speedway person would draw a track round a field. Has anyone published the real spec?

Am I not allowed to be cynical? Is there somewhere you can point me to see what the actual track will be like? All I've seen so far are architect drawings, and the track looks just the way a non-speedway person would draw a track round a field. Has anyone published the real spec?

At this stage, what the hell do you expect except drawings. A 1 to 8 scale model with real smell and noises ? :nono:

• Like 2

At this stage, what the hell do you expect except drawings. A 1 to 8 scale model with real smell and noises ? :nono:

I've made ones out of shaving foam and mash potato, but I think I've been watching Close Encounters too often.

To be honest, my cake scale model does suggest the bends may be a bit tight http://cdn.cakecentral.com/7/70/900x900px-LL-70c52c4f_bikecloseup.jpeg

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 2

The 'Daily Mirror" has today mentioned the new stadium will open in 2016. If that's already been mentioned, I apologise.

I've made ones out of shaving foam and mash potato, but I think I've been watching Close Encounters too often.

To be honest, my cake scale model does suggest the bends may be a bit tight http://cdn.cakecentral.com/7/70/900x900px-LL-70c52c4f_bikecloseup.jpeg

You have been watching too much Blue Peter.

Can I order a cake for Christmas?

If it's going to be ready in 2016 then they must have an idea of what they are building ...

The single most important part of any new speedway stadium (National or otherwise) is ... oh yeah ... the track :)

Everyone got excited about Leicester and look what happened. If the new circuit is like Scunthorpe or Somerset then everyone would be happy. Ideally, if it's outside a centre green large enough for other sports then it needs to be wide and sweeping like the old Hyde Road or many if the Polish tracks we are all so envious.

If you're telling me that no-one has put any thought into the track - how the hell can they design the stadium?

Bampots at both ends of the spectrum, LOL! ;)

Edited by Had Enough Too
  • Like 1

The architects and developers do realise they are building motorcycle speedway and not cycle speedway? :unsure: