British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

Stomach churning new world management speak of which only a failed Apprentice candidate would dare to utter in public.

The fact of the matter is Gordon and Morton looked at Chesterfields new ground, well over double the capacity with four stands and a similar development at Salford's new ground and basically doubled their planned timescale despite planning a development less than half the size!

Even the most pessimistic blue sky management wannabe would not have been that pessimistic although the experts are slithering out of the pond at a disturbing rate to tell us things like how they should have drilled down to prevent the miscalculation of explicit timescale disynergies and why at the end of play they got it wrong but going forward there is a desire for all of us to see this advance to a successful conclusion.

I've just been a bit sick in my mouth.

Anyway, how long would you expect a small 6000 capacity stadium to take to go from idea to completion?

Rotherham United FC - a well-known sports team in a relatively run-down urban area who had been based for 101 years in the ever-increasingly decrepit Millmoor until they fell out once and for all with that ground's owner.

So they finished playing at Millmoor in May 2008 and announced their aim to find and purchase a new site in the town while renting the Don Valley Stadium (two-thirds of the way from Rotherham into Sheffield) in the meantime.

In January 2010 they bought the site of a former steelworks foundry within Rotherham ... in November 2010, outline planning permission was granted ... and in June 2011, construction was started on the 12,000 seater New York Stadium comprising of 4 separate stands holding about 2,000 at each end and about 4,000 along each side (it's in a district of Rotherham called New York).

Prince Edward formally opened it in March 2012 but Rotherham United completed the 4th full season of their spell at Don Valley before kicking-off at New York with a July 2012 pre-season friendly against South Yorkshire neighbours Barnsley.

Therefore it took them just over 4 years from needing a permanent solution having fallen-out with the Millmoor owner to playing in their new home ground ... it could've been less than 4 years if they'd snapped their Don Valley residency in mid-season.

It's sparked a tremendous revival in their fortunes because they've been promoted in both their first 2 seasons at New York as well as being given the honour of hosting an England youth-international.

Since 2011 in terms of public statements (but well before that privately), the Belle Vue Aces have been aiming for a permanent 6,000 capacity (plus easy options for temporary stands towards a total 15,000 capacity) so they're going to be take quite a bit longer than Rotherham's example for your timescale of "idea to completion".

Chesterfield FC first became aware of a former glassworks' availability in the autumn of 2004 and began playing there in summer 2010 with the biggest delay to that project being the full demolition of the old glassworks rather anything to do with the new football ground.

Salford rugby league were provisionally allocated their new site by their local council in 2005 and would've begun playing there as soon as 2009 (rather than the actual 2012) if the original development company on that project hadn't gone into administration in 2008.

Hopefully that answers your question rather accurately.

I would just point out that Rotherham Stadium was a 'stand alone' Project. Belle Vue's new Stadium has to integrate in to a new development incorporating various other Projects. This makes the task of those organising the new Stadium that much more difficult. Designs and everything else will have to fit in to the overall Plan that the Council itself will decide.

I agree that some of the PR hasn't been great - but - at the core of this is a great idea which will, in time, come to fruition.

Rotherham United FC - a well-known sports team in a relatively run-down urban area who had been based for 101 years in the ever-increasingly decrepit Millmoor until they fell out once and for all with that ground's owner.

So they finished playing at Millmoor in May 2008 and announced their aim to find and purchase a new site in the town while renting the Don Valley Stadium (two-thirds of the way from Rotherham into Sheffield) in the meantime.

In January 2010 they bought the site of a former steelworks foundry within Rotherham ... in November 2010, outline planning permission was granted ... and in June 2011, construction was started on the 12,000 seater New York Stadium comprising of 4 separate stands holding about 2,000 at each end and about 4,000 along each side (it's in a district of Rotherham called New York).

Prince Edward formally opened it in March 2012 but Rotherham United completed the 4th full season of their spell at Don Valley before kicking-off at New York with a July 2012 pre-season friendly against South Yorkshire neighbours Barnsley.

Therefore it took them just over 4 years from needing a permanent solution having fallen-out with the Millmoor owner to playing in their new home ground ... it could've been less than 4 years if they'd snapped their Don Valley residency in mid-season.

It's sparked a tremendous revival in their fortunes because they've been promoted in both their first 2 seasons at New York as well as being given the honour of hosting an England youth-international.

Since 2011 in terms of public statements (but well before that privately), the Belle Vue Aces have been aiming for a permanent 6,000 capacity (plus easy options for temporary stands towards a total 15,000 capacity) so they're going to be take quite a bit longer than Rotherham's example for your timescale of "idea to completion".

Chesterfield FC first became aware of a former glassworks' availability in the autumn of 2004 and began playing there in summer 2010 with the biggest delay to that project being the full demolition of the old glassworks rather anything to do with the new football ground.

Salford rugby league were provisionally allocated their new site by their local council in 2005 and would've begun playing there as soon as 2009 (rather than the actual 2012) if the original development company on that project hadn't gone into administration in 2008.

Hopefully that answers your question rather accurately.

So the shorter answer to drop a cogs question would be i have not got a clue.

EXPECT some positive and concrete news about the Belle Vue National Stadium later this week...

So I get back from a great weekend in New York hanging out with Handsome Dick Manitoba and trawl through this thread and find that there was no concrete news at all but another one of those articles waffling on about the same old waffle we have had for years about this thing.

I worked in that industry and may I suggest you Google ‘concrete’ because if the jobs I worked on used your concrete they would have collapsed that same day.

I have seen with my own eyes major ambitious projects that have contained wonderful elements that along the way have just vanished due to cost and other factors.

So nothing is ‘concrete’ yet and the planning hurdle has still not been passed and even that is no guarantee as I have seen projects with planning permission just disappear into the ether.

Our National tin shed could easily be removed from this project to make way for a car park for a new shopping mall.

This is the worst non-thread on the forum in years and seems another example of your habit for bulling up stuff you seem to be a mouthpiece for.

The forum nutbag Mr Liam Gallagher or whatever he is called this week has got you pegged perfectly mate from the GP tripe you spout.

Oh how I wish the Speedway Mail had survived and not your rag.

The sport needs a champion more than ever now and all we seem to have is your ilk.

To the whining mob who babble on about those of us who don’t rally behind the likes of this bloke I say of course I would love a new national Stadium in Manchester, Sunderland or Croydon and would love the sport to become high profile again.

But I am not a mindless idiot that believes everything written by people like Rising.

I have followed this sport too long to believe in ‘magic solutions’ and ‘saviours’ to quote Fish from Marillion ‘born of dreams’.

There is still a long way to go and not one really concrete sentence has yet been talked about this thing.

As I said earlier.

'I found this spoon sir!'

Edited by pandorum

So what is all the fuss about? According to this link photo the stadium has been built!!!!!! (Ted,,,,,no sir!..........Ted......)

:-)

Edited by cheekyboys2

There must have been more of this actually in the public domain than ever before this time because people at work were discussing it and they are not speedway fans....they have been unaware of the plans before

Based on all the redevelopment around East Manchester, which is unrecognisable from a few years ago, and the council's previous record I would be confident that this will go ahead

this is doing my head in..one day i believe it will happen, the next i don't, then i do, then i don't....Can't someone up there get their MP to ask a question in the house along the lines of..."PM you are no doubt aware of the plans to relocate the world famous Belle Vue Speedway team into a state of the Art modern stadium adjacent to their run-down tip they are in at present. Can the PM please assure the many thousands of interested fans that he will do everything in his power to ensure this happens during the lifetime of the next parliament?" Surely Cleggy can't derail this as part of give and take coalition business...

Edited by Mike.Butler

Small steps, but progress is being made. Like many other Aces fans, I have left my comments with the council and would urge all speedway supporters who would like the stadium to see the light of day to do the same.

National Speedway Stadium and Academy. We will seek planning permission for a brand-new 6,000-capacity stadium, including a 1,800-seater grandstand, with built-in noise-reduction measures, built to elite-league standard. The Belle Vue Aces (BVA) will use it as they continue their long-standing commitment to the area by establishing a Speedway Academy, coaching young children to adults. Manchester College students will work with BVA on mechanical and engineering training around speedway racing.

You can comment on the plans at the below link to the council's website:

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/for...lage_proposals

Oh how I wish the Speedway Mail had survived and not your rag.

Seriously? I used to write for Speedway Mail and got nearly all my information from what was said over the tannoy at Reading on a Monday evening.

Still, if you prefer that, then thanks for the compliment.

• Like 4

Seriously? I used to write for Speedway Mail and got nearly all my information from what was said over the tannoy at Reading on a Monday evening.

Almost wet myself when I read this. Bloody hilarious.

• Like 1

Planning permission was submitted today

Fingers crossed. I hope it goes through OK.

The star reporter was probably the bloke to your left with the notebook.

I never said it was good just better than the star.

Speedway has never been a good magazine.

I read the star in my local asda and its layout is horrendous and the content is pretty dull too it looks like its been edited by a psychotic :)

The star reporter was probably the bloke to your left with the notebook.

I never said it was good just better than the star.

Speedway has never been a good magazine.

I read the star in my local asda and its layout is horrendous and the content is pretty dull too it looks like its been edited by a psychotic :)

I thought it was better years ago - but - we have what we have - and it is good that Speedway has a Magazine at all these days.

• Like 3

Planning permission was submitted today

See, now thats news worthy. Not the news some photos are being shown in the library!