British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sophies Mate

Which Clubs Allow Fans Into The Pits?

Pit access is always a plus for keeping a child's interest and adding to the experience

One of my highlights when first going to Hyde Road was going in the pits after a meeting...and

we waited outside the dressing room doors for riders to appear and then swarmed round them for autographs...most riders were great as well...the odd one wasn't....but it's all important to keep young fans.

That is one area that Leicester struggle. I think it is because the area is so small. It wouldn't do to have loads of people wondering through. Although the surrounding area is quite big. I think they could possibly do with a gantry like they have at Cov but probably more important priorities. It's a shame cos we have a lot of youngsters.

Just about everyone moans about Leicesters track and I admit that IMO it could be far better but the pits are an awful design.
  • Like 1

Makes me wonder if everything had to be squeezed into a certain amount of space or if more land was available because there is loads there - all doing nothing at the moment.

Makes me wonder if everything had to be squeezed into a certain amount of space or if more land was available because there is loads there - all doing nothing at the moment.

Yes I noticed that when I went up there in April thought there was a lot of wasted space by the pit area which could be put to better use, guess maybe thats in the plans at some point to update as and when money and maybe planning allows? I did however like the rst of the track found it clean and tidy and in particular liked how the stand opposite the start/finish line was above the track found it great to watch the racing from there.

.. in particular liked how the stand opposite the start/finish line was above the track found it great to watch the racing from there.

Racing? At Leicester? Which meeting was that?

Stock car events let fans wander unimpeded amongst the action generally, but I cannot help feeling it is dangerous and an accident waiting to happen. Stock cars have brakes, speedway bikes do not. I have never witnessed a stock car being driven dangerously, but I have witnessed several speedway riders career into the pits in incandescent rage.

Speedway is silly to restrict viewing into the pits from the outside however, it is part and parcel of the spectacle, bikes kicked over, frantic action to meet the two minutes, arguments, dealing with mechanical disasters, it is speedway warts and all and is certainly to be encouraged.

I wouldn't enter pits before a meeting, riders need time without distractions to focus, but afterwards can surely harm no-one?

Even worse than no pit viewing is the lunatic situation where you can only view one of the teams, whoever thought this up was bonkers.

Good tracks to see pit action are Sheffield, Kings Lynn, Buxton, Mildenhall, Plymouth. Stoke isn't wonderful, Leicester is rubbish, Scunthorpe poor, Rye House poor, Wolves poor. Any viewable pit area imprisoning James Sergeant is likely to see explosive action at some time, worth the entry fee in itself!

Edinburgh is open to the public until 6.55pm

I have asked the question several times now on the Leicester forum and have never got a reply to it. Why was the stadium squeezed into such a small footprint, when there is so much land going to waste all around. I have even stated that the centre green could or should have been at least a track width wider and the track should have been at least a lane wider both sides.

Can't see for the life of me when you are building a new stadium to make it fit into such a small space.

That is unless the Leicstershire County Council, felt that was all the land they where going to give up at BP to the speedway stadium.

• Like 1

Not sure about the pit area but if you get to Rye House an hour before tapes up they sometimes let you behind the counter of the fish bar.

I have asked the question several times now on the Leicester forum and have never got a reply to it. Why was the stadium squeezed into such a small footprint, when there is so much land going to waste all around. I have even stated that the centre green could or should have been at least a track width wider and the track should have been at least a lane wider both sides.

Can't see for the life of me when you are building a new stadium to make it fit into such a small space.

That is unless the Leicstershire County Council, felt that was all the land they where going to give up at BP to the speedway stadium.

It's very hard to get answers to any questions raised about Leicester. It would be interesting to know why the speedway was only allowed a small area when there was loads of land available also why the car park is only able to hold around 235 cars which is a ridiculously small amount.

That is one area that Leicester struggle. I think it is because the area is so small. It wouldn't do to have loads of people wondering through. Although the surrounding area is quite big. I think they could possibly do with a gantry like they have at Cov but probably more important priorities. It's a shame cos we have a lot of youngsters.

only another 2 years and you have have the gantry from Cov , I'm sure Sandhu would donate it as a parting gift from speedway . :lol:

When the in initial plans for the whole site were approved , the rest of the space was to be used for other purposes , Cycling, BMX ,football , they all fell by the wayside after the speedway was built on the alloted piece of land ,

Dudley follow the same policy as Wolves and allow fans into the pits up to about half an hour before racing.

Also at Buxton there is a chance to look through the mesh fence on the path that leads to the rider car park and you can see straight down the pits there.

not been to Sheffield for 3 or 4 years, but if they let supporters in there it would have to be one at a time ......

Berwick allow fans into the pits up to the point the bikes start up, also they invite the winning team, or in the case of a draw both teams, into the main stand after their lap of honour and presentations.