British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Sgp Challenge Final Sat 20th Sept

DON'T think Gollob will be riding next year after his current contract with Torun expires, Sayfutdinov told me he doesn't want a wild card for 2015 (great shame), Iversen will get one, THJ almost certainly unless both Lindgren and Jonsson qualify (highly unlikely), MJJ doubtful because so many Danes will already be there (could be as many as six if they fill the top three in Lonigo and Bjerre gets in the top eight), Hampel probably if he doesn't climb into the top eight, Ward if he isn't banned, Vaculik doesn't seem interested...

Yes just been reading that about Emil...... I cant help feeling that the proof would be in the pudding when he was offered it though (same with vaculik - although I am sure there are at least 4 who would accept before he was asked anyway)

quota factors cannot be ignored for Ward & Iversen ........... in my memory we have never seen BSI break the pattern ... and if 4 or 5 Danes are already qualified I cannot see them giving Iversen a place no matter his top 3 standard. For the same reasons I cannot see Ward being given a place if The Aussies already have 3 ......... I could see them being tempted if they have 2 though

What is the case with Gollob now then?..... is he on the way to retirement? is he just disinterested? would an injection of sponsorship make a difference?

SPOKE to Gollob's manager in Gorzow and was told that he was now very unlikely to accept the wild card slot in Warsaw, which had been planned as a swan song for him.

Had a massive two-year deal with Torun which some of his team-mates believe is the only reason he has carried on this year.

Never say never but he certainly wouldn't contemplate the GP again.

When I had my eye-to-eye interview with Emil I came away believing that not returning to the SGP yet is his decision but also that if his manager Susi pushed him he would change his mind. Sadly, don't see that happening in time for 2015.

• Like 1

Yes just been reading that about Emil...... I cant help feeling that the proof would be in the pudding when he was offered it though (same with vaculik -

although I am sure there are at least 4 who would accept before he was asked anyway)

quota factors cannot be ignored for Ward & Iversen ........... in my memory we have never seen BSI break the pattern ... and if 4 or 5 Danes are already

qualified I cannot see them giving Iversen a place no matter his top 3 standard. For the same reasons I cannot see Ward being given a place if The Aussies already have 3 .........

I could see them being tempted if they have 2 though

What is the case with Gollob now then?..... is he on the way to retirement? is he just disinterested? would an injection of sponsorship make a difference?

I can't believe people still are nagging about giving Gollob a wild card.

He have been looking uninterested for a few years now. He was very good when he was at his best but those days are gone now so let it be.

Time to focus on the next generation of riders like Zmarzlik.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 2

Agreed, why would you want to offer a rider a couple of years away from retirement a spot as wildcard, where there is a few riders nearly 20 years younger, who could offer the same, if not more!

from a business perspective Gollob would be a no brainer if he was interested. Those empty Polish stadiums would be full (a wholly different prospect to those riders 20 years younger), & if it became more than just a one year thing for him then BSI would be in a position of power in negotiating which Polish tracks are to be used. It is hardly the rose tinted romantic perspective of world championship speedway that we would all like but it is a real one none the less. Nagging? No but considering the options that BSI will certainly be considering.

As far as his abilities are concerned they are not in question, with maybe more a factor being his machinery being 'special' again & his levels of interest allowing him to rise to the top. Before he was world champion he had been around for a long time and had been going through a period of disinterest. And we arent really going to be underestimating age in speedway, in this era of all eras.... are we?

It is sad to read what you are saying Philip and a career like Tomasz's deserved a better send off.

Edited by spook

I am at a loss to understand the Sayfutdinov situation. The man obviously wants to be European Champion and probably will be this time next week. He obviously wants to be World Champion as evidenced by his blistering start to the 2013 GP campaign, so why not enter the qualifiers or why turn down a wildcard?. Sayfutdinov is a World Champion elect and needs to be in for 2015...he needs to be offered a wildcard and he needs to accept it.

• Like 2

Nobody should compete at a financial loss but is competing for a World title a matter of money?.

from a business perspective Gollob would be a no brainer if he was interested. Those empty Polish stadiums would be full (a wholly different prospect to those riders 20 years younger), & if it became more than just a one year thing for him then BSI would be in a position of power in negotiating which Polish tracks are to be used. It is hardly the rose tinted romantic perspective of world championship speedway that we would all like but it is a real one none the less. Nagging? No but considering the options that BSI will certainly be considering.

As far as his abilities are concerned they are not in question, with maybe more a factor being his machinery being 'special' again & his levels of interest allowing him to rise to the top. Before he was world champion he had been around for a long time and had been going through a period of disinterest. And we arent really going to be underestimating age in speedway, in this era of all eras.... are we?

It is sad to read what you are saying Philip and a career like Tomasz's deserved a better send off.

He's loved in Poland, that's probably all that matters to him, he's their legend!

I am at a loss to understand the Sayfutdinov situation. The man obviously wants to be European Champion and probably will be this time next week. He obviously wants to be World Champion as evidenced by his blistering start to the 2013 GP campaign, so why not enter the qualifiers or why turn down a wildcard?. Sayfutdinov is a World Champion elect and needs to be in for 2015...he needs to be offered a wildcard and he needs to accept it.

Surely his manager said it all after Emil had his bad crash!

Nobody should compete at a financial loss but is competing for a World title a matter of money?.

It should work both ways shouldn't it, no rider should have to race at a loss!

I can't argue with that. On a different note---I have been critical in the past of Chris Harris for his inconsistency, particularly at International level. However, his recent league scores have been top-drawer so I would like to wish him good luck in the GP Challenge next week.

Regarding qualifier and wildcards, for me there is only TWO riders I think should be there. Emil Sayfutdinov and Darcy Ward. Those pair along with Woffy, KK and Greg are the top guys. I'd probably throw in Puk too. But then saying that, 2 years ago you'd have been laughed at having Woffy in that list and 12 months ago having KK in the list so who the hell knows.

That's the beauty of Speedway my friend.

Tonight in the GP Kildemand showed how good he is, hope he finishes in a qualifying place.