Sheffield: vs Workington & Scunthorpe

Somerset: vs Rye House & Plymouth

Workington: vs Sheffield & Glasgow

Somerset must be well pleased.

Somerset must be well pleased.

And Workington

And all the other sports where it happens

Which ones??

course it's fair,,, everyone knew the rules at the start, (even the bspa),,, and anyhow, how are they meant to know which teams will be any good, or bad halfway through the season ???,,, :neutral: (apart from Plymouth)

:) ok

Which ones??:) ok

Cricket until 1993

All American major professional

sports

Thanks everyone, especially Nutz !!

tempted to query if you are thanking the poster in particular or making a comment on the whole stupid idea!

• Like 1

Who dreams these things up?? The bspa are staggeringly incompetent to even begin to think this is a fair way to do things.... We've had problems the last two years fitting in the playoffs, even not completing them fully once... So now we play love you neighbour to bringing 4 extra to fulfill... Madness IMO

"It's all about the money Rodders".

Del-Boy.

Cricket until 1993

All American major professional

sports

21 years ago!!! Lol, when country cricket had about 8 teams :)

Which American sports pick 2 opponents for extra fixtures?? All of them?? You sure??

Edited by Arson fire

21 years ago!!! Lol, when country cricket had about 8 teams :)

Which American sports pick 2 opponents for extra fixtures?? All of them?? You sure??

I suggest you go and look at archive copies of the national newspapers from any part of the twentieth century before 1993 - they all seem to take cricket quite seriously (and First class county cricket consisted of 17 counties from 1921 to 1993 - considerably more than 8)

Basketball (from Wikipedia):

During the regular season, each team plays 82 games, 41 each home and away. A team faces opponents in its own division four times a year (16 games). Each team plays six of the teams from the other two divisions in its conference four times (24 games), and the remaining four teams three times (12 games). Finally, each team plays all the teams in the other conference twice apiece (30 games). This asymmetrical structure means the strength of schedule will vary between teams (but not as significantly as the NFL or MLB). Over five seasons, each team will have played 80 games against their division (20 games against each opponent, 10 at home, 10 on the road), 180 games against the rest of their conference (18 games against each opponent, 9 at home, 9 on the road), and 150 games against the other conference (10 games against each team, 5 at home, 5 on the road).

Ice Hockey (also from wiki): In the regular season, each team plays 82 games: 41 games each of home and road. Eastern teams play 30 games in its own geographic division— four or five against each one of their seven other divisional opponents—and 24 games against the eight remaining non-divisional intra-conference opponents—three games against every team in the other division of its conference. Western teams play 28 or 29 games in its own geographic division-four or five against each one of their six other divisional opponents-and 21 or 22 games against the seven remaining non-divisional intra-conference opponents-three games against every team in the other division of its conference, with one cross-division intra-conference match-up occurring in four games (these are the teams that play only 28 intra-division games in a given season, in 2013–14 those teams are Colorado and San Jose). All teams play every team in the other conference twice-home and road.

Soccer (wiki): Major League Soccer's regular season runs from March to October with its 19 teams playing 34 games in an unbalanced schedule

That's a pretty full list of major US sports - all having asymmetric schedules

Edited by arnieg

I suggest you go and look at archive copies of the national newspapers from any part of the twentieth century before 1993 - they all seem to take cricket quite seriously (and First class county cricket consisted of 17 counties from 1921 to 1993 - considerably more than 8)

Basketball (from Wikipedia):

During the regular season, each team plays 82 games, 41 each home and away. A team faces opponents in its own division four times a year (16 games). Each team plays six of the teams from the other two divisions in its conference four times (24 games), and the remaining four teams three times (12 games). Finally, each team plays all the teams in the other conference twice apiece (30 games). This asymmetrical structure means the strength of schedule will vary between teams (but not as significantly as the NFL or MLB). Over five seasons, each team will have played 80 games against their division (20 games against each opponent, 10 at home, 10 on the road), 180 games against the rest of their conference (18 games against each opponent, 9 at home, 9 on the road), and 150 games against the other conference (10 games against each team, 5 at home, 5 on the road).

Ice Hockey (also from wiki): In the regular season, each team plays 82 games: 41 games each of home and road. Eastern teams play 30 games in its own geographic division four or five against each one of their seven other divisional opponentsand 24 games against the eight remaining non-divisional intra-conference opponentsthree games against every team in the other division of its conference. Western teams play 28 or 29 games in its own geographic division-four or five against each one of their six other divisional opponents-and 21 or 22 games against the seven remaining non-divisional intra-conference opponents-three games against every team in the other division of its conference, with one cross-division intra-conference match-up occurring in four games (these are the teams that play only 28 intra-division games in a given season, in 201314 those teams are Colorado and San Jose). All teams play every team in the other conference twice-home and road.

Soccer (wiki): Major League Soccer's regular season runs from March to October with its 19 teams playing 34 games in an unbalanced schedule

That's a pretty full list of major US sports - all having asymmetric schedules

abut different to 4!! Well done you've named 3 sports on a massive scale, nothing along the lines that this thread is about.... None of these sports ( I will concede cricket) are majorly affected by the weather, none are probably affected by not owing or being able or limited to play in their own stadia on a set day.

There are hundreds if not thousands of sports, well done for the 3 you've came up with, albeit on a massive scale numerically compared to speedway.

Out of interest, how did the cricket selection of extra fixtures go or Pan out??

abut different to 4!! Well done you've named 3 sports on a massive scale, nothing along the lines that this thread is about.... None of these sports ( I will concede cricket) are majorly affected by the weather, none are probably affected by not owing or being able or limited to play in their own stadia on a set day.

There are hundreds if not thousands of sports, well done for the 3 you've came up with, albeit on a massive scale numerically compared to speedway.

I was merely rebutting your statement that no other sports would have unbalanced fixture lists. I have in fact cited all five major American sports. (In US culture 'major sport' has a well understood meaning: baseball, American football, (ice) Hockey and Basketball. Some would add Soccer as MLS attendances are similar to the NBA. Incidentally lacrosse is the number six team sport in the States.)

You seem to be introducing the arguments about weather and stadium availability at a rather late stage, and they don't alter the fact that your original posting was wrong.

BTW I have been to a rained-off baseball match (at New Camden Yard in Baltimore). We saw five of the nine innings before it p*ssed down. And what they do in mlb is come back (two months later in this case) and play the remaining four innings even though the teams are different! Imagine what speedway fans would say if the BSPA proposed that after being rained-off after six races the match should be continued three months later with changed line-ups?

Out of interest, how did the cricket selection of extra fixtures go or Pan out??

No idea - I have no interest in cricket

I was merely rebutting your statement that no other sports would have unbalanced fixture lists. I have in fact cited all five major American sports. (In US culture 'major sport' has a well understood meaning: baseball, American football, (ice) Hockey and Basketball. Some would add Soccer as MLS attendances are similar to the NBA. Incidentally lacrosse is the number six team sport in the States.)

You seem to be introducing the arguments about weather and stadium availability at a rather late stage, and they don't alter the fact that your original posting was wrong.

BTW I have been to a rained-off baseball match (at New Camden Yard in Baltimore). We saw five of the nine innings before it p*ssed down. And what they do in mlb is come back (two months later in this case) and play the remaining four innings even though the teams are different! Imagine what speedway fans would say if the BSPA proposed that after being rained-off after six races the match should be continued three months later with changed line-ups?

No idea - I have no interest in cricket

i said only in speedway..... If we are being pedantic, name another sport where the teams pick or are allocated 2 of the other teams to face again??... You can't, the ones you've name have re faced multiple teams.... You know what I was getting at by my post....and are just being arsey.

It was a generalization with shrugged shoulders so to speak, I also might say I laughed my head off or pigs will fly... But I don't expect people to think my head actually comes off or the sky suddenly turns pink... Very literal thinking mind :)

Edited by Arson fire