British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pointsmeanplayoffs

King's Lynn Stars V Belle Vue Aces - Wed 18 June

You must be on 70k plus,thats what MP's get isn't it.Because at the end of the day whatever skills you have whether it be plumbing,welding,building or what 90% of jobs are in Britain,companies want cheap labour.Cheap labour equals bigger profits.It may not be up to the standards you are at but I am afraid most jobs in the UK are in manufacturing or building etc.

What the hell does any of that have to do with Craig Cook getting a team place in Sweden and Poland. And I've already posted what my job is. I'm actually wondering if you've bothered reading any thing I've posted but in stead done the typical British thing of complain about how terrible things are.

What the hell does any of that have to do with Craig Cook getting a team place in Sweden and Poland. And I've already posted what my job is. I'm actually wondering if you've bothered reading any thing I've posted but in stead done the typical British thing of complain about how terrible things are.

Basically because the first part of your post seemed to be aimed at general jobs.

I'm sure if a Swedish or Polish team asked Cook to ride for them he would.But no matter how much he would say he would be dedicated or professional and ride for peanuts they don't seem to look at these shores anymore.I think in this profession as it is short you can't take a big hit on money else it does become unaffordable and could do more harm than good.

Basically because the first part of your post seemed to be aimed at general jobs.

I'm sure if a Swedish or Polish team asked Cook to ride for them he would.But no matter how much he would say he would be dedicated or professional and ride for peanuts they don't seem to look at these shores anymore.I think in this profession as it is short you can't take a big hit on money else it does become unaffordable and could do more harm than good.

Well the Aussies come to UK to further their careers so it would seem logical that if GB riders want to do the same trying to get a place in a foreign team would be the thing to do, whether its Germany, Czech Rep, Italy or wherever - never mind Sweden or Poland ..... :blink:

With the issue of the sun, I wonder if Sky has been there whether there would have been that kind of delay ?

I dont ever recall the sun being an issue at Saddlebow back in the 70's and 80's. Has the Kings Lynn landscape changed that much ?

Even Sky don't control the Sun!. Any cricket fans out there will regale you with stories re Derbyshire home matches being delayed re. 'sun in the eyes' {this time batsmen obviously}. They actually tried two cranes and a big sheet on one televised meeting {sorry match} NOT JOKING.

With the issue of the sun, I wonder if Sky has been there whether there would have been that kind of delay ?

I dont ever recall the sun being an issue at Saddlebow back in the 70's and 80's. Has the Kings Lynn landscape changed that much ?

Remembering back to the good ole days, when a pint was a quid and fags were even less, there was far more trees about then. When doing my apprenticeship at the British Sugar, I remember, they owned large areas of land for social happenings. The areas that weren't used had big trees and woodlands. When the land was first sold off, the trees were replaced with warehousing. Since them it has all changed into industrial areas, Business units everywhere and the building aren't as high..

I think the immediate answer is for Buster to build a big Grandstand over the pit area, :t: Only jesting Buster.......

Well the Aussies come to UK to further their careers so it would seem logical that if GB riders want to do the same trying to get a place in a foreign team would be the thing to do, whether its Germany, Czech Rep, Italy or wherever - never mind Sweden or Poland ..... :blink:

Lets be honest though we have welcomed every Aussie under the sun here no matter how bad they are.That wouldn't happen in those other countries.

And a lot of the Aussies haven't really furthered their careers they are still riding PL league with no team outside these shores.

How old is Craig Cook, 27/28 ? Not really a youngster in Speedway terms. Maybe he sees he has a now a limited amount of time to earn big money from the Sport. he maybe cannot look to the medium/long term, as his earning capacity ( in Speedway Terms) is at his highest level now. He maybe wants to milk it while he can. In truth who can blame him. Not everyone in the Sport is a Greg Hancock.

Remembering back to the good ole days, when a pint was a quid and fags were even less, there was far more trees about then. When doing my apprenticeship at the British Sugar, I remember, they owned large areas of land for social happenings. The areas that weren't used had big trees and woodlands. When the land was first sold off, the trees were replaced with warehousing. Since them it has all changed into industrial areas, Business units everywhere and the building aren't as high..

I think the immediate answer is for Buster to build a big Grandstand over the pit area, :t: Only jesting Buster.......

There is the answer GRW. Buster needs to plant some trees and then in say 50 years time, we wont have the problem. lol

How old is Craig Cook, 27/28 ? Not really a youngster in Speedway terms. Maybe he sees he has a now a limited amount of time to earn big money from the Sport. he maybe cannot look to the medium/long term, as his earning capacity ( in Speedway Terms) is at his highest level now. He maybe wants to milk it while he can. In truth who can blame him. Not everyone in the Sport is a Greg Hancock.

There is the answer GRW. Buster needs to plant some trees and then in say 50 years time, we wont have the problem. lol

If they were Leylandii they wouldn't need 50 years :wink:

You need to think outside the box - don't ya just love management speak :wink:

Instead of building up you need to go down. Just dig out the first and second bend. The riders will be going downwards so the sun won't be in their eyes and the uphill back straight will just add to the fun. :P:rofl: Then when they exit the 4th bend they will also be looking down so the sun won't be a prob there either. Buster can use the excavated stuff to build a newsstand on the 1/2 bends.

See just needs a woman's brain to find a solution :party:

Edited by Star Lady

As has been said a number of times, Cook wanted to ride in Sweden but couldn't get a team place because his average here was too high to make him an attractive option.

He has also explained that although he might get a team in Poland there are no guaranteed rides there and he could not afford the £30,000 outlay for equipment to leave there, that might rarely be used. He was hoping to make enough money this year doubling up to be able to afford to take the risk next year.

You need to think outside the box - don't ya just love management speak :wink:

Instead of building up you need to go down. Just dig out the first and second bend. The riders will be going downwards so the sun won't be in their eyes and the uphill back straight will just add to the fun. :P:rofl: Then when they exit the 4th bend they will also be looking down so the sun won't be a prob there either. Buster can use the excavated stuff to build a newsstand on the 1/2 bends.

See just needs a woman's brain to find a solution :party:

Or.... Why not ride the other way around (clockwise) until the sun is low enough to then go back to riding anti clockwise. Its not just Females who have good ideas. :rofl:

Edited by semion

But then the sun would be in their eyes going down what is now the back straight ;)

Cookie only turned 27 last month.

He has been riding 6 seasons now.

Each year he has substantially improved on the previous one.

John Louis was nearly 29 when he had his first meeting.

He finished 5th, 4th, 3rd, 6th in his World Final appearances.

Greg Hancock is still going strong at age 44.

So injuries permitting Cookie could well still have a lot of high earning seasons ahead of him.

But he does need to be given a place in some other countries' leagues.

He can't just demand them and they will come running.

But he probably does need to show up well at Cardiff and/or in the SWC to let them know he is around.

• Like 1

But then the sun would be in their eyes going down what is now the back straight ;)

Surely it will still be the back straight. Otherwise they would need 2 starting gates, and have the Refs box on wheels. I thought the problem of the sun was it coming over the top of the 2nd bend and shinning into the riders eyes on bends 1 and 4 ? So will it be a problem down the back straight ? I think we need an engineers report. Or at the very least an NHS type risk assesment, that should take 12 months !! :D:wink:

Edited by semion

Or at the very least an NHS type risk assesment, that should take 12 months !! :D:wink:

That's blooming optimistic. They have to have at least 3 meetings before they get round to a planning meeting :mad: