British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fish keeper

Wolves V King's Lynn

Wow, what a meeting , what a result......Obviously ecstatic with our stunning victory last night. As I had previously said, I thought it was possible to win there and get the 3pts, but no way did I think we would batter them. Standing there with the home fans, After each of a Stars race wins the place was very quite, resembled a dentist waiting room. I tried not to look smug, but I felt, that they knew they were going to lose. Towards the end of the meeting, it changed, they seemed to have excepted defeat and started clapping and talking more. The best race was Ht 11 between Niels and Pawlicki, and the call for all four back when Thorssell slipped off was a joke. Winning big races when it mattered was the key to last night's victory and the 5-1 in heat 13 against their biggest rivals sealed the deal......

I would just like to point out one thing, in response to comment made about Niels in that first ride. The track at the start of the meeting was ridiculously wet, and the starting positions were more relevant. Starting from gate 4 the riders got filled in with wet slush and were blinded. Their race was over. Niels tried hard at the start, but on the outside, after one lap he couldn't see, feverishly, pulling his goggle string to stay in contention. Eventually, after 3 laps he had to remove his goggles just to stay on the track. So no, he didn't give up as been said. He was annoyed that the track was that wet and turned the race into a lottery. Kenneth Bjerre suffered a similar fate in heat 3. But the track was always going to dry out. This is not a moan just stating how wet the track was at the start of the meeting.

As well as the Stars performed, special mention for our 2 guest. they performed brilliantly and many supporters will wonder why they are not riding for their clubs. Good gating and inventive first corners took them to the front in most of their racer. So a big thank you to our guests and to Rob Lyon for the thinking behind it.

The journey home was more enjoyable than usual, but it's not very often you go to a fortress and win so comfortable..........

• Like 1

I

Fricke - Again came up trumps at Monmore and we really should try sign him . 1/5

I think there will be a fair few clubs with that idea in mind. Probably the best teenager I have seen this year apart from Bech, who I think is a year older. If he was British people would be going crazy about him. But like most young Aussies he stays more or less under the radar. Apart from being a good rider he is a really nice young man.

I would just like to point out one thing, in response to comment made about Niels in that first ride. The track at the start of the meeting was ridiculously wet, and the starting positions were more relevant. Starting from gate 4 the riders got filled in with wet slush and were blinded. Their race was over. Niels tried hard at the start, but on the outside, after one lap he couldn't see, feverishly, pulling his goggle string to stay in contention. Eventually, after 3 laps he had to remove his goggles just to stay on the track. So no, he didn't give up as been said. He was annoyed that the track was that wet and turned the race into a lottery. Kenneth Bjerre suffered a similar fate in heat 3. But the track was always going to dry out. This is not a moan just stating how wet the track was at the start of the meeting.

As well as the Stars performed, special mention for our 2 guest. they performed brilliantly and many supporters will wonder why they are not riding for their clubs. Good gating and inventive first corners took them to the front in most of their racer. So a big thank you to our guests and to Rob Lyon for the thinking behind it.

The journey home was more enjoyable than usual, but it's not very often you go to a fortress and win so comfortable..........

It would have been very characteristic of Niels to rt for no good reason!

Lambert, wow wow wow, what a talent, i have to keep pinching myself just how young the lad is. What a future hes got, best talent iv seen in 42 yers of watching speedway!

TBF, he's average about a point more than Morten Risager averaged in the 2004 EL at the age of 16 and look where he is now! Morten also did't have the benefit of riding against two NL riders each meetings - in fact that season we had grading in the EL so the minimum average a rider could have was 4.00. Robert does look good but he surely not the best talent of the last 42 years?! Even the last 10 years - A 16 year old Sayfutdinov was pretty immense.

TBF, he's average about a point more than Morten Risager averaged in the 2004 EL at the age of 16 and look where he is now! Morten also did't have the benefit of riding against two NL riders each meetings - in fact that season we had grading in the EL so the minimum average a rider could have was 4.00. Robert does look good but he surely not the best talent of the last 42 years?! Even the last 10 years - A 16 year old Sayfutdinov was pretty immense.

Lambert is a strange one. Appreciating he is just old enough to ride, he at times is unbelievable, and can easily imagine him as a future World Champion. Other times he seems very immature in his riding and showing off to all and sundry. Hoping he will mature into a top class rider for the future, but as far as I'm concerned the jury out on just good he could be.

But what potential......

I think ward was the best natural talent iv ever seen on a bike, such a racing brain, but Lambert IMO can do things on a bike that just astonish me! Was at the prague GP & had a long chat with Buster in the bar back at the hotel, he he is mesmerized with Lambert, just hope he can push on. mind i always thought bridger was going to be o so special when i first saw him, just can put my finger whats missing with Bridger!!

Lambert, wow wow wow, what a talent, i have to keep pinching myself just how young the lad is. What a future hes got, best talent iv seen in 42 yers of watching speedway!

He is very good, but not as good as Joe Screen was at 16 I don't think. That's not a knock on him though!

• Like 1

I have only seen Lambert on TV and he does look special for a 16 year old...However the current formats are quite lenient to him in that position and it's a bit easier than in the past and a lot of riders he beats are not that fantastic...but he does look a talent

I would say Joe Screen as a 16 year old was the best I've seen though...I saw him practicing for a couple of years before and watched his debut when 16...double figures and beating heat leaders and a couple of weeks later passing Sam Ermolenko from the back...now that was a 16 year old talent...

• Like 1

Lambert is a strange one. Appreciating he is just old enough to ride, he at times is unbelievable, and can easily imagine him as a future World Champion. Other times he seems very immature in his riding and showing off to all and sundry. Hoping he will mature into a top class rider for the future, but as far as I'm concerned the jury out on just good he could be.

But what potential......

Can you elaborate please GRW? Can't say I've ever seen him'show off' during a race. I've been impressed with his race day maturity so far. Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 3

Lambert is such a talent, can he fulfill the potential ? Time will tell.. As for the best 16 year old. For me there was nothing to touch Michael Lee. Home debut v Leicester, when teams had 3 proper heat leaders, I think Lee scored 7 from 4 and beat Ray Wilson. Think he may have ended up 2nd in the Lynn Stars averages that season behind Terry Betts at slightly under 8 points. He was doubling up with Boston as i recall.

Edited by semion
  • Like 2

He is very good, but not as good as Joe Screen was at 16 I don't think. That's not a knock on him though!

Yes i was a big Joe fan, can remember going to Abensberg to watch the world under 21 final. Big talent yes, but leg back, all action style, but i just think Lambert is so polished for is age, just my opinion.

• Like 1

Wow, what a meeting , what a result......Obviously ecstatic with our stunning victory last night. As I had previously said, I thought it was possible to win there and get the 3pts, but no way did I think we would batter them. Standing there with the home fans, After each of a Stars race wins the place was very quite, resembled a dentist waiting room. I tried not to look smug, but I felt, that they knew they were going to lose. Towards the end of the meeting, it changed, they seemed to have excepted defeat and started clapping and talking more. The best race was Ht 11 between Niels and Pawlicki, and the call for all four back when Thorssell slipped off was a joke. Winning big races when it mattered was the key to last night's victory and the 5-1 in heat 13 against their biggest rivals sealed the deal......

Fair summary GRW123. You are right as far as the atmosphere on the terraces. Think after heat 8 the home fans realised we hadnt got the muscle to stop a rampant side. However the surrender by certain riders will stick in the throat if we miss out on the play offs.

As far as Niels in Heat 1 goes. YES its a fair point however there should be no excuse to finish off the race as if we had that happen in every race it would start to look like a farce. He was well adrift and had stayed at full speed for 3 laps - there was absolutely no need to not finish the race. So i am sorry to say he DID give up. Its my pet hate as i say so its no attack on Niels just on ANY rider that does it. It always smacks of poor sportsmanship IMHO.

• Like 1

Next time you see Max, have a look at his style of riding, and it will compare well with a former Swindon Master

semion, completely agree with you reference Michael Lee. Went to Lynn & Boston all year, & he was immense. Still think Lambert is a top talent, & hope he becomes a top rider for England in the future.

• Like 2

Superb from the Stars last night, a victory due in no small part to some exceptional guest performances from some canny bookings from Rob. Blackbird was superb again, I wouldn't say he made every gate but his moves around and inside opponents on turns 1 and 2 meant he usually hit the back straight in the lead. Quality stuff. As for Max Fricke, I'd heard he was a fan of Monmore before hand, but I was impressed with his determination especially with his elbows out going in between both Wolves riders in one heat. Looks a class act that lad.

Can't understand Niels getting stick for retiring in heat 1. The track was like a mud pie at the start and after staring off gate 4 he was quickly filled in at the back and simply couldn't see when he slowed and removed his goggles and left the track once he saw the 4-2 was in the bag. What's the big deal?