British Speedway Forum

I cant imagine there is an EL fan out there that doesn't want the big boys back and a strong EL again.

But so far as regular racing and entertainment goes, i couldn't agree more.

altho i agree with you, yes we would love them all back, but not if they didnt have thee heart in it, and went awol on gp weeks

All the major issues surrounding this sport are financial. Introducing the FTR scheme was done as a cost saving idea, without necessarily weakening the product. It also gave more opportunity to the young British riders to progress at a much faster rate. Bit like a double whammy, to benefit this sport.

The one big problem is that some supporters are only looking as far as their noses. Just because, we now have more lesser riders, they expect the product to be cheaper. The whole idea was to make the promotion more affordable so there are less clubs finding it difficult to survive. This is not a thriving enterprise, more of a struggle and any chance of cutting costs, both to Promoters and Fans has to be initiated.

Probably in your eyes the product is not as good as before, but to me, the entertainment hasn't changed and is as good as it's always been. .

I believe there have been many good ideas posted on here, and no doubt more changes will to be made. What we mustn't do is give up ........

You are entitled to your opinion but with respect, it is fans like yourself that the BSPA want to keep. How can you say that the product has not been diluted with FTR riders (apart from the fact that you probably have the best reserve pairing in the league).

In the real world (where we do look past the end of our noses), the product is not Elite - it has been diluted year on year even past the 3 year period they said they needed, the entertainment is poor value for money , there is no continuity of meetings and there is hardly a meeting now without guests and RR - and so many meetings with many guests. On top of that teams now have 2 riders, who apart from a small number have definitely diluted the product to an all time low - and all for the same price! As a paying customer - that is unacceptable. That is my view and for each of our viewpoints there are people that will agree and those that will disagree. Whichever camp you are in the fact is the fan base is reducing!

If speedway dies (where it is certainly heading) then the problem lies squarely with the promoters and not the fans who choose to exercise their right to spend their money how they want to. Wake up and smell the coffee - if the fan base keeps shrinking there will be no teams to support so this is a real problem that needs dealing with!M

• Like 1

Comparing my two favourite sports, speedway(used to be the second biggest spectator sport) and horse racing(now the second biggest), the equine sport is generally much better value. A family could have paid just 7 quid for a car full on Sunday at Worcester(all under 18s free), there were thousands there, and kids entertainment. It's free admission at Towcester. If you're lucky, as we were, the bet wins cover your food/drink/travel costs.

Went to Swindon speedway last week, only counted 2 passes all meeting, the races were over after the second bend. Obstructed views and facilities not as good as Worcester, and 34 quid in.Hopefully the new stadium at Swindon will come to fruition. The crowds have shrunk since they returned to the Elite 10 years ago, although there has been no reduction in the football and ice-hockey attendances in the town. A warm summer would give speedway good crowds. Very few kids attend speedway now.

Normally go to Cardiff as it's good value and entertainment, and hopefully be as good racing as the Swedish Grand Prix, passing in almost every heat.

Edited by Mad Moose

You are entitled to your opinion but with respect, it is fans like yourself that the BSPA want to keep. How can you say that the product has not been diluted with FTR riders (apart from the fact that you probably have the best reserve pairing in the league).

In the real world (where we do look past the end of our noses), the product is not Elite - it has been diluted year on year even past the 3 year period they said they needed, the entertainment is poor value for money , there is no continuity of meetings and there is hardly a meeting now without guests and RR - and so many meetings with many guests. On top of that teams now have 2 riders, who apart from a small number have definitely diluted the product to an all time low - and all for the same price! As a paying customer - that is unacceptable. That is my view and for each of our viewpoints there are people that will agree and those that will disagree. Whichever camp you are in the fact is the fan base is reducing!

If speedway dies (where it is certainly heading) then the problem lies squarely with the promoters and not the fans who choose to exercise their right to spend their money how they want to. Wake up and smell the coffee - if the fan base keeps shrinking there will be no teams to support so this is a real problem that needs dealing with!M

I'm under no illusions as to the state of this sport, so yes I can smell the coffee, but I can also see the bigger picture. You seem to live with thoughts of granular of where this country stands in the Speedway ratings of importance. You question the dilation of quality riders, as if we have a choice, but the fact remains we cannot afford to compete with countries like Poland Denmark and Sweden, and the sooner all the supporter realise this the better.

The biggest issue with this sport is finance. Riders pay big monies for quality equipment, Promoters have to meets the riders high costs, and to do that the fans have to pay through the nose. All them are facts. There is no way the promotions can reduce the admissions, all they can do, is reduce the cost of the riders. That where the FTR system comes in. So to answer one of your points, is there a dilution of top quality riders, then YES, but not the quality of entertainment.

You moan about the number of meetings using Guests and RR, Unfortunately this will always happen until this country comes into line with other countries and run meetings on a strict day schedule. Until that time we have no choice but to fill in the spaces with whoever, and hope the public wont mind. To me, running Elite League fixtures at the weekend is a No-Go............ but then again I'm not a Promoter.........

I'm under no illusions as to the state of this sport, so yes I can smell the coffee, but I can also see the bigger picture. You seem to live with thoughts of granular of where this country stands in the Speedway ratings of importance. You question the dilation of quality riders, as if we have a choice, but the fact remains we cannot afford to compete with countries like Poland Denmark and Sweden, and the sooner all the supporter realise this the better.

The biggest issue with this sport is finance. Riders pay big monies for quality equipment, Promoters have to meets the riders high costs, and to do that the fans have to pay through the nose. All them are facts. There is no way the promotions can reduce the admissions, all they can do, is reduce the cost of the riders. That where the FTR system comes in. So to answer one of your points, is there a dilution of top quality riders, then YES, but not the quality of entertainment.

You moan about the number of meetings using Guests and RR, Unfortunately this will always happen until this country comes into line with other countries and run meetings on a strict day schedule. Until that time we have no choice but to fill in the spaces with whoever, and hope the public wont mind. To me, running Elite League fixtures at the weekend is a No-Go............ but then again I'm not a Promoter.........

I think we will need to agree to disagree on this one because we seem to live on different planets.

To answer some of your points:

1. I didn't mention anything about competing with other speedway nations. What I mentioned was the dilution of the product and value for money. Where does it all end - 7 NL riders per team in the EL because that is all they can afford? That is where they are heading unless they address the value for money issue. I think supporters realise this and that is why they are voting with their feet and staying away!

2. I agree the biggest issue is finance but they should be looking at ways of reducing costs to riders and the other costs will have to follow suit - not expect their customers to pay through the nose for an inferior product.

3. Regarding quality of entertainment - so you enjoy watching Team Lewis beating most of the opposition - some of which are half a lap behind? Of course you do because you have two strong reserves - the bigger picture is that it is an unfair system that was "rigged" from the outset (and I'm not getting at KL or any other team - who all played within the rules). How can that be better entertainment?

4. I don't think I was actually moaning about the number of meetings with guests and RR - I was merely supporting my view that this adds to the less value for money. However, when you say that we have no choice - you might not, but I certainly do - if I don't like it, I won't settle for less. It is that attitude of the diehard fans (who are dwindling in numbers) that any speedway is better than none that encourages speedway promoters to continue to dilute the product and at some point you just have to say "enough is enough" and the FTR has done that for me.

I have been attending speedway for well on 30+ years but for all the reasons I previously listed (which I won't list again for fear of being accused of moaning!) I have found other ways to keep me busy on a Thursday night which is good value for money!

3. Regarding quality of entertainment - so you enjoy watching Team Lewis beating most of the opposition - some of which are half a lap behind? Of course you do because you have two strong reserves - the bigger picture is that it is an unfair system that was "rigged" from the outset (and I'm not getting at KL or any other team - who all played within the rules). How can that be better entertainment?

Rigged? Really??

I would say that teams with 2 youngsters as assets should only be allowed 1 to ensure things are evened up.

Why shouldn't teams with young assets have priority??

So its OK for some teams to sit back and do nothing and then expect the best draft riders??

I am hoping this system (with some modification) is here to stay and hopefully that will encourage ALL EL teams to start investing in BRITISH youth and not looking for the best foreign newcomer.

Obviously many believe that going for NL riders is a step to far for the EL.

But what is clear we have to do something about spiraling costs and lack of top foreigner riders wanting to ride here.

I long for the days of a strong EL, but i cant see it happening anytime soon.

But the answer is simple - get the top boys over and crowds will come back. Win win.

Rigged? Really??

I would say that teams with 2 youngsters as assets should only be allowed 1 to ensure things are evened up.

Why shouldn't teams with young assets have priority??

So its OK for some teams to sit back and do nothing and then expect the best draft riders??

I am hoping this system (with some modification) is here to stay and hopefully that will encourage ALL EL teams to start investing in BRITISH youth and not looking for the best foreign newcomer.

Obviously many believe that going for NL riders is a step to far for the EL.

But what is clear we have to do something about spiraling costs and lack of top foreigner riders wanting to ride here.

I long for the days of a strong EL, but i cant see it happening anytime soon.

But the answer is simple - get the top boys over and crowds will come back. Win win.

You can't have a fair draft system if you keep riders back - so yes - rigged! (whatever the justification is)

You can't have a fair draft system if you keep riders back - so yes - rigged! (whatever the justification is)

I hear what you are saying, just think rigged is the wrong wording. :t:

I find it amusing anyone still believes such nonsense :)

Bit of advice when you get an email from a Nigerian General just ignore it :)

I find it amusing anyone still believes such nonsense :)

Bit of advice when you get an email from a Nigerian General just ignore it :)

Proof is already available. When Emil came over to ride for Cov figures were up everywhere Cov went.

Like i said - its unlikely to ever happen again. But you probably don't read things fully i would expect.

In this day and age, only top quality marketing and top quality entertainment is going to compete for peoples leisure time/money and attract new people into the sport. I got into Speedway a few years back, as did a few of my friends, mainly by following the results and reports on the back pages of the local newspaper. This tapped into a curiosity to see what it was all about, and now I'm a huge fan of the sport. Nowadays who actually buys a local newspaper?! So Speedway has lost a key marketing tool there.

I think that a new Super League is needed, either a European one, or UK one that runs every fortnight on a Saturday afternoon/early evening (non GP weekend), where parents can take children of all ages and not have to worry about late nights. Make it a product, a whole afternoon's entertainment, get the riders there early interacting with the kids, have some mini bikes for them to have a go on on a course or something inside the track, have arcade machines with bike games, competitions, make having a bet on speedway easy at the track....anything to enhance the experience for the adults and kids alike. I'm sure TV would sponsor something like that with a lot more finance than they currently do the Elite League.

Create new franchises for this new league, have a proper draft each year, and an auction for the first year for riders.....market the sport properly, not half-heartedly. Publish rules clearly, do not make up new rules as you go along, do not have an 'in the interest of speedway' get out clause to make up aforementioned new rules as you go along

Maybe use Cardiff or Wembley once or twice a year and have a Speedway Carnival where each of the teams ride against each other back to back, four meetings in one day.

Meanwhile the British League can run as it currently does through the week, albeit diluted in quality, maybe make it so that there has to be at least 3/4 British riders per team, and hopefully the league will benefit from the increased profile of the sport. These clubs would have to be subsidised in some way by the 'Super League' and maybe have standardised engines/bikes supplied by league to help reduce costs. I'm sure that if the league approached an engine manufacturer/chassis manufacturer they'd get a great deal for that much equipment. Riders can still tune them and tinker, but it wouldn't mean that the huge cost of buying engines, chassis and such is forced on them and in turn to the clubs.

Ok, it's not an original idea, it probably has its flaws, but it has to be much much better than the gradual demise that we are currently experiencing of this great sport.

• Like 1

Many of us pointed out along the way that all that the continuous dilution of the product through reduced points limits was going to achieve was fans voting with their feet. I still go to Belle Vue every Monday, but there are many people who I'd see around who no longer attend. If speedway cannot keep its' fan base, how do the Promoters think we're going to attract new people to our tracks, given the fare on offer?

Pick up an Elite Programme from 15 years ago and compare the relative strengths of teams to what we have today and then look at the cost of attendance. Does what we have today for roughly 15 minutes of action represent value for money in comparison to what we once had? I think not.

It's hard to compare the UK with Sweden, as many of the tracks come under the Local Community and clubs there will pay a lot less than we do at BV and B'Ham in terms of rent. But our so-called Elite League is a pale shadow of what is used to be and certainly a pale shadow of what constitutes the Elite League in Sweden. We have to somehow look to enhance our product offering and I think that can only be achieved through a major cash injection through corporate sponsorship of our leagues. How one goes about achieving this is something that the BSPA should focus their minds on, otherwise the downward spiral will only continue.

• Like 1

If we tried a two day only league I don't think there would be enough teams, it seems Helmsley and Dugard won't change so that's two gone!

In this day and age, only top quality marketing and top quality entertainment is going to compete for peoples leisure time/money and attract new people into the sport. I got into Speedway a few years back, as did a few of my friends, mainly by following the results and reports on the back pages of the local newspaper. This tapped into a curiosity to see what it was all about, and now I'm a huge fan of the sport. Nowadays who actually buys a local newspaper?! So Speedway has lost a key marketing tool there.

I think that a new Super League is needed, either a European one, or UK one that runs every fortnight on a Saturday afternoon/early evening (non GP weekend), where parents can take children of all ages and not have to worry about late nights. Make it a product, a whole afternoon's entertainment, get the riders there early interacting with the kids, have some mini bikes for them to have a go on on a course or something inside the track, have arcade machines with bike games, competitions, make having a bet on speedway easy at the track....anything to enhance the experience for the adults and kids alike. I'm sure TV would sponsor something like that with a lot more finance than they currently do the Elite League.

Create new franchises for this new league, have a proper draft each year, and an auction for the first year for riders.....market the sport properly, not half-heartedly. Publish rules clearly, do not make up new rules as you go along, do not have an 'in the interest of speedway' get out clause to make up aforementioned new rules as you go along

Maybe use Cardiff or Wembley once or twice a year and have a Speedway Carnival where each of the teams ride against each other back to back, four meetings in one day.

Meanwhile the British League can run as it currently does through the week, albeit diluted in quality, maybe make it so that there has to be at least 3/4 British riders per team, and hopefully the league will benefit from the increased profile of the sport. These clubs would have to be subsidised in some way by the 'Super League' and maybe have standardised engines/bikes supplied by league to help reduce costs. I'm sure that if the league approached an engine manufacturer/chassis manufacturer they'd get a great deal for that much equipment. Riders can still tune them and tinker, but it wouldn't mean that the huge cost of buying engines, chassis and such is forced on them and in turn to the clubs.

Ok, it's not an original idea, it probably has its flaws, but it has to be much much better than the gradual demise that we are currently experiencing of this great sport.

Good ideas - but what would you propose as the admission charges for fans?

Many people thought speedway should be 'stripped back' last winter and in hindsight it really ought to have been. Riders missing from fixtures because they are racing elsewhere have become the main bugbear for speedway fans IMO, people can accept guests or R/R if a team member is injured but not if they are somewhere else. Whether it means all EL speedway being on a Monday or a Wednesday (or a mixture of both) or top riders not racing here if they don't put the UK first it needs sorting. EL matches should never be scheduled on World Championship qualifying weekends like we had at Leicester the other week or at Eastbourne earlier this season, and much more should be done to avoid clashes for riders who are doubling up, some of the fixture scheduling this season has been absolutely rank.

Time for speedway in this country to put itself first whichever path it takes.