British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

As much as I hate to say it, and I obviously feel sorry for the genuine fans, but losing a track or two wouldn't be the end of the World for the sport in this Country. There's too many tracks and not enough riders. Most fans are moaning about too many guests, most teams are different every week depending on when the fixture was arranged, It's a bloody mess!

But let's face it, you aren't going to attract new supporters when you cant even offer them a seat, this is 2014 for Christ's sake. Not many parents would take their kids to sit in a bar for two hours, and the thought of standing around that long for 15 mins action is hardly appealing, especially when your forking out for sky and you can watch it on the box.

Sky and a lack of modern facilities are killing Speedway as a spectator sport.

• Like 3

As much as I hate to say it, and I obviously feel sorry for the genuine fans, but losing a track or two wouldn't be the end of the World for the sport in this Country. There's too many tracks and not enough riders. Most fans are moaning about too many guests, most teams are different every week depending on when the fixture was arranged, It's a bloody mess!

But let's face it, you aren't going to attract new supporters when you cant even offer them a seat, this is 2014 for Christ's sake. Not many parents would take their kids to sit in a bar for two hours, and the thought of standing around that long for 15 mins action is hardly appealing, especially when your forking out for sky and you can watch it on the box.

Sky and a lack of modern facilities are killing Speedway as a spectator sport.

Some might say that without SKY( SKY money primarily) top flight speedway in this country would have been dead years ago.

Why does 15 heats of speedway need an interval?

Correct me if wrong, but doesn't the GRA insist on one to push their mediocre, overpriced food ?.

Such a shame the GRA are so greedy, how difficult, how sad for Brum!

• Like 1

Some might say that without SKY( SKY money primarily) top flight speedway in this country would have been dead years ago.

The EL (or top flight) would still be running.

hang on a second, GRA are greedy for demanding payment?

wouldn't we all?

• Like 1

Only himself to blame, the EL 2014 was a disaster waiting to happen with the NL fill in riders, and expecting the public to pay top dollar for the privilege of watching them, should have stood up and gone PL, his current Team would be in the top 3, and he would have stood a chance financially.

Such a shame the GRA are so greedy, how difficult, how sad for Brum!

If the GRA are to blame for putting Birmingham in this position, then really they, should look to do a compromise with the club. If, they don't then i do hope they can live with looking at themselves in the mirror. Then at the end of the season, the club can decide their future whether its no speedway or go back to the PL. In the meantime, it would buy the club a bit of breathing space.. Your call, GRA, some rent is better than none... I wish Birmingham all the best..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Why should the blame be laid at the door of the GRA ? They had an agreement in place over rent, which we can assume the parties involved were happy to sign. If a tenant owed you money, then I why would you allow the debt to mount up without taking any action. I am sure The GRA have staff and overheads to pay.

• Like 2

I'll tell you what is wrong with Elite League speedway, it's no longer Elite, you turn on the Swedish League on television to see Greg Hancock Freddie Lingren etc and all the top stars of World speedway, these top riders we no longer see on the tracks in the UK. When Emil came to ride for Coventry the gates were increased. When Coventry rode at Birmingham with Emil in the team increased their gate by 900 I am reliably informed, speaks for itself. Incidentally due to stupid speedway regulations Emil was riding in Russia the next home meeting and our No 1 was not Emil but Todd Kurtz not a suitable replacement, speaks for itself people want to watch the best and vote with their feet which us their privilege. What's going on is self defeating and explains that Elite should mean the BEST. I must say that as a semi regular at Birmingham I was amazed this season at the absence of supporters and predicted the writing was on the wall. Come on you Brummies you waited and protested for along time to get the Second City back into Live Speedway don't let it fade away without a wimper. The Elite League needs you as does Speedway as a whole!.

• Like 4

Why should the blame be laid at the door of the GRA ? They had an agreement in place over rent, which we can assume the parties involved were happy to sign. If a tenant owed you money, then I why would you allow the debt to mount up without taking any action. I am sure The GRA have staff and overheads to pay.

Im sure they do, but they know the position of Birmingham speedway. and imo, some rent is better than none. If they cannot Compromise, then its a very poor show.

I'll tell you what is wrong with Elite League speedway, it's no longer Elite, you turn on the Swedish League on television to see Greg Hancock Freddie Lingren etc and all the top stars of World speedway, these top riders we no longer see on the tracks in the UK.

Yep, and the speedway is no different to what you see in the EL. Now, are you going to pay posibly £25 per head to watch the big boys in this country, every week??? Many many fans i speak to every week tell me they cannot afford to go on a regular basis anymore now, at £17, so your going to tell me just because the big boys are riding in the EL week on week people's financial situation will just suddenly change?? Add to the fact riders scheduals have changed so much in the last 10 years, they go where its more convienient and where the money is.

Edited by Starman2006

I'll tell you what is wrong with Elite League speedway, it's no longer Elite, you turn on the Swedish League on television to see Greg Hancock Freddie Lingren etc and all the top stars of World speedway, these top riders we no longer see on the tracks in the UK. When Emil came to ride for Coventry the gates were increased. When Coventry rode at Birmingham with Emil in the team increased their gate by 900 I am reliably informed, speaks for itself. Incidentally due to stupid speedway regulations Emil was riding in Russia the next home meeting and our No 1 was not Emil but Todd Kurtz not a suitable replacement, speaks for itself people want to watch the best and vote with their feet which us their privilege. What's going on is self defeating and explains that Elite should mean the BEST. I must say that as a semi regular at Birmingham I was amazed this season at the absence of supporters and predicted the writing was on the wall. Come on you Brummies you waited and protested for along time to get the Second City back into Live Speedway don't let it fade away without a wimper. The Elite League needs you as does Speedway as a whole!.

But these top riders don't want to race here, we can't make them, they have obviously got enough meetings to keep them in the manner they are accustomed! We must work on something that they want to be involved in, make British speedway attractive to all, riders and fans!

hang on a second, GRA are greedy for demanding payment?

wouldn't we all?

It's not about wanting payment, it's how much, they've always been known to want a packet, they could cut the bill in the circumstances, better than have the speedway stop?

Im sure they do, but they know the position of Birmingham speedway. and imo, some rent is better than none. If they cannot Compromise, then its a very poor show.

I dont think you will find it is as straight forward as that. have you any inside knowledge on what the running costs are for GRA to have Speedway running at their premies. ? Also GRA, will have shareholders who have to be apeased, plus GRA will have other Tennants, and who would no doubt we then looking for rent reductions. There are such things as rent tribunals so landlords have to be very careful what offers they make.

Edited by semion

Kev, I care about all teams, and losing any would be a massive blow, but the simple fact is that Birmingham moved up and were solely reliant on the Sky money. Crowds have dropped after the initial honeymoon period, and the cloth wasn't cut accordingly. When they moved up, there was no jump in crowds to support the move, and any sensible businessman would have seen this and moved back down. I've enjoyed previous trips to Birmingham, but on the last couple of occasions, it felt like the life had been sucked out of the place. Crowds were down, the racing wasn't as good as it had been, and it very much felt like they were going through the motions. I wish it had worked out better for them, and I hope that it does work out in the end, but if they get through this period, lessons have to be learned. Not just by Birmingham, but by all clubs.

Vog is correct, whether it is palatable or not. Some businesses, due to demographics or location (same thing really), leadership, poor product or an apathetic customer base are doomed to fail. I have visited Brummies several times over the last few years, but have never, despite that club's excellent marketing efforts, felt at home, nor really enjoyed the product offering. The fact that Cradley can pack out a stadium down the road for NL, yet Birmingham cannot for EL is a conundrum for better economic minds than mine. But sadly, that is how it is. Other posters have come up with solutions to Brummies ills, some of which demand completely altering the speedway product. These maybe desireable, but are not the answers to Brummies problems today, bums on seats are the only remedy. Compared to Owlerton, a similar stadium situation in a smaller city, Brummies always feels remote, cold, heartless, unwelcoming and lacking in atmosphere. Why is this? It took them months to add a picture of ex. British Champion Andy Grahame to their own picture gallery for goodness sake!

You could well be right, but we'll never know. But I cant remember clubs losing fortunes before sky came along, it's the same in football, the smaller clubs chase the glory and end up in trouble. Problem is, for every £1 sky give to a sport, the riders, players agents etc want £1-20 of it. I'm told that the signing on fees have rocketed since sky came on board, that's where the money has gone, if sky hadn't come in the crowds would still be watching and riders would be earning a sensible amount, probably, maybe, who knows? But it did seem a more sensible sport financially before they came along.

• Like 1