British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

I have to say that it is debatable regarding Peterborough, the crowds in Premier League are woeful, whether they are financially viable only the Promoters would know. Kings Lynn I believe have better crowds since moving into Elite.

Seems Speedway is on its knees in many places, The BSPA really have to do something drastic or revolutionary, cant keep re packaging the same old product, as for Peterborough Tuesday race nights is not a favourable racenight in my opinion, where possible it has to be weekend racing of some form, People have more money in their pockets then, and its also easier to travel for away fans.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 2

Even though I've already paid for my season ticket, I'd be willing to put a tenner in, it'll be a push as I'm a senior but If it saves my beloved Brummies I'll do it all day long.

However..................... Only if not one penny is handled by Messers Phillips sorry, but I'll not hand them another red cent of my money!

Surely NOBODY can blame Alan Phillips? He has put his money where his mouth is 100%

Really? Yes, he has put a substantial amount of money in but he knew he was struggling last year and that was with a 50/50 partner. He had the option to go in the "Winter of Discontent" but he turned down that offer probably because it wouldn't recoup what he'd put in. However he's in a worse financial situation now isn't it better to take a loss than go broke?

What I can't understand is at our Fans Liasion group meeting a few weeks ago AP sat us all down and said Birmingham Speedway is completely DEBT FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does he continually blame us the fans? A lot of us have already put our money in via season tickets yet every time he opens his mouth via the programme or the media its our fault, he's the promotor for Gods sake get out and promote your business!

• Like 1

First time poster, but I post on Wolf Cry under mb1982

Sadly, it shows the sorry state that British Speedway is in.

Brummies look on the brink. Swindon can't be much better off with poor crowds. Coventry are leaving Brandon in 2017 and then what? Belle Vue are in limbo until the new stadium arrives - if it ever does. Eastbourne just about appear to survive each year. Thats 5 clubs out of 10 with questions marks over their future. Is it any wonder they can't a league sponsor when half of the membership are scrabbling around trying to survive?

In respect of the post which raised the subject of the planning condition that the speedway facilities all be removed if racing ceased, this applied only if the original 3-year temporary planning consent was not replaced by full planning permission at the end of that 3 year term.

In fact, the temporary consent was extended to a fourth year, and then full planning permission was granted, so this condition no longer exists.

As far as I am aware, if speedway does finish at Perry Barr, and a new promotion came in in say, three or four years time, there would be no requirement to apply for a planning consent as the existing one has no time limit attached to it. All that would be need would be to show evidence that the stadium had been used for speedway racing without causing serious problems to local residents - which has been the case.

Whether this would still apply if there was another 20 year gap would probably be different since there would inevitably have been major changes to housing etc in the intervening period and of course, because planning matters would have changed.

Joe Thurley was not required to apply of a planning consent when he installed the speedway at the old Ladbroke Stadium on the other side of the Walsall Road in 1971 - all he had to do was show evidence that the stadium had been used for speedway before - even though it had been 40 years previously, but that wouldn't washwith the Council these days.

Still, this is all beside the point. This latest news is devastating for Birmingham supporters like myself, but we are all grateful for the kind comments and good wishes that have been extended from supporters of other clubs. The situation looks bleak for us at the moment but what else can we do but keep our fingers crossed and hope against hope that someone will come in and save us.

Cheers thanks for clearing that up, i knew the PP had something about removing the track, but good to read that even if the worse happens this season, at least there is hopefully a chance of a return in the future.

Obviously the debt is a problem but how great it would be for Brum to now become community/fan/council owned.

A reasonable suggestion. But in timess of cutbacks how would it be implemented?

Why this difference: Birmingham\s match at Velle Vue on Monday - subject to weather - i to take place. But match against Leicester is off.

THis is on the SGB?BSPA site at the moment:

BRUMMIES ON HOLD

SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2014

BIRMINGHAM'S Elite League home meeting with Leicester scheduled for this Wednesday, July 2, has been postponed.

This is due to the current uncertainty over the future of the Brummies.

However, Birmingham's trip to Belle Vue on Monday will go ahead as planned.

Let's be honest. It's an absolute shame (possibly sham) if Birmingham fold but the crowds have been horrendous. Unsustainable probably for even the Premier League but Phillips hasn't helped himself.

The team put out this season is dreadful, most knew it was dreadful from the word go. It would probably not be at top club at PL level either let alone in the EL.

So dreadful that Birmingham are not actually bottom of the league and have matches in hand the win against Swindon denied by the weather or a win on Monday could take them even higher in league and above Belle Vue. So if Birmingham are so dreadful yet still not cut a drift, what does that say about the rest of the EL.

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 1

A reasonable suggestion. But in timess of cutbacks how would it be implemented?

Why this difference: Birmingham\s match at Velle Vue on Monday - subject to weather - i to take place. But match against Leicester is off.

THis is on the SGB?BSPA site at the moment:

BRUMMIES ON HOLD

SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2014
BIRMINGHAM'S Elite League home meeting with Leicester scheduled for this Wednesday, July 2, has been postponed.

This is due to the current uncertainty over the future of the Brummies.

However, Birmingham's trip to Belle Vue on Monday will go ahead as planned.

Thought the BSPA had agreed to pay the riders wages for the Poole and Belle Vue meetings,but nothing said about any other future matches.

And of course,they were away meetings.And the present regime has been locked out of Perry Barr.

Matey, we have a lot more than 500 fans. But would 500 of them be willing to save the club.... ?

Depends who the monies going to I'd say, a bit more clarity about who is owed what woulden't go amiss for such an idea, at this stage I woulden't give anyone associated with AP 10P for a last phone call.

• Like 1

Depends who the monies going to I'd say, a bit more clarity about who is owed what woulden't go amiss for such an idea, at this stage I woulden't give anyone associated with AP 10P for a last phone call.

You can rest assured that any money raised in a situation like this would go to pay off existing debts, and help anyone who wishes to take the team on as a going concern.

From what I have seen on here so far, the speedway family doesn't want one of it's own to leave, no matter what the circumstances are. Many thanks to all of you, fellow supporters far and wide, I for one hope this isn't all in vain. :t:

Don't get me wrong, what I mean is your likely to get more of the non hardcore fans to put money in if you can prove who the money is going to and what they are owed, after the winter of discontent, there's a lot of mistrust about the club which possibly contributed to this situation, in winter when the revolving door of departures was going on we had endless rumour and counter rumour, story and counter story, Phillips said this, Drury did that, Morris didn't like that person and the Commercial Manager was not friends with that guy etc, etc, to the extent we didn't know who to believe anymore, so generally took everyone statement from then on with a bit of suspicion.

Long story short, I think people need proof the money will go to something worthwhile and not into someone's pocket, if you could provide that, then I am hopeful a decent amount can be raised.

• Like 1

I've tried to set a just giving appeal up I've ask for help on doing it but no one seems willing even though I have spent all day getting lots of people ready to make donations including 4 people willing to donate 200 pound each I think we could hit 25000 in a few weeks I've managed to line up 3000-4000 just today.... All I need is a page to be set up but maybe mr Phillips was right no one cares enough

• Like 2

1. Where would the money be held and by whom.

2. A bank account would have to be set up with an account name and No so the money could be paid into it.

3. You could even set up a paypal account, that way you only need an email address to send the money and get it sent to that paypal account. This has got to be the eaiest way to pay any money on here these days.

4. All that would then remain to be done is to get in touch with a moderator or above to see if it is ok to set up a page to allow the e-mail address for the fund to be posted.

Think this is the best way forward and it could all be done in just a few days.

• Like 2

I've tried to set a just giving appeal up I've ask for help on doing it but no one seems willing even though I have spent all day getting lots of people ready to make donations including 4 people willing to donate 200 pound each I think we could hit 25000 in a few weeks I've managed to line up 3000-4000 just today.... All I need is a page to be set up but maybe mr Phillips was right no one cares enough

Why not ask mr Brian Buck for his help with this, I know everyone trusts this man, and rest assured the monies raised would be in safe hands.

• Like 3

1. Where would the money be held and by whom.

2. A bank account would have to be set up with an account name and No so the money could be paid into it.

3. You could even set up a paypal account, that way you only need an email address to send the money and get it sent to that paypal account. This has got to be the eaiest way to pay any money on here these days.

4. All that would then remain to be done is to get in touch with a moderator or above to see if it is ok to set up a page to allow the e-mail address for the fund to be posted.

Think this is the best way forward and it could all be done in just a few days.

May I add - and I fancy some Posters will slam me for saying this!!! - my advice would be to discuss the whole affair with a solicitor before establishing a fund. It may even mean a solicitor will need to refer or discuss the project with the Charity Commissioners. Good luck to the project but please go carefully - let your mind rule your venture rather than just a good heart. All success to you.

Weatherwatcher I wouldn't have a clue about the above I'm useless at things like that which is why we need someone who knows what there doing to take the time to set it up

Then I will spend as much time as possible getting people to donate which I think is fair enough

• Like 1