British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Just following on from my previous point the site I’m talking about is the old Perry Barr container base. It closed years ago and it seems in 2007 British car auctions applied to develop the area as a car auction site, but seemingly nothing has happen to the site and still lays derelict. As the site was still operation when Birmingham were looking for a home in the past may be this site was never looked at as a possible home.

I really think for the best interest of Birmingham speedway they need a place with minimal over heads and good access to the track for practise. Nice restaurants and bars can come along later.

That would be a problem as current PP only allows for one meeting a week apart from exceptional circumstances.

That would be a problem as current PP only allows for one meeting a week apart from exceptional circumstances.

PP at the current site states that, Another site may have less restrictive planning rules. Also currently at Perry Barr due to Birmingham not owning the facility they will always have limited access, not only for practise but track preparation.

Edited by Pirio Barre

Is Birmingham Speedway owned by a Limited Company ?

Birmingham Brummies Ltd

What I find strange is that the budget at the start of the season must have included decent salaries for Graham and Denise Drury which have not actually had to be paid.

Also with all due respect, I suspect Jack Lee is not as expensive as Phil Morris as a team manager.

And yet despite these cost savings, they've gone ** up.

What would have happened if they hadn't fallen out with Morris and the Drurys, and had to pay these extra salaries? Would Birmingham have gone bust sooner?

Or were the Drurys doing something right, which has been done horribly wrong in their absence?

sad to see any club fold but if after a gap of many years without speedway the city of Birmingham cant support a speedway team talk about a stadium at a different site is pointless really as without support the business would not be viable wherever it may be raced. I hope the brummies can be saved its hard to imagine our second city cant sustain the sport of speedway. tonights meeting does seem somewhat pointless but im going along as due to breaks in the league programme it feels more like the close season with the lack of action. that can also have an adverse effect as people find other things to do and get out of the habit of going. anyway good luck to Birmingham on their bid to survive.

sad to see any club fold but if after a gap of many years without speedway the city of Birmingham cant support a speedway team talk about a stadium at a different site is pointless really as without support the business would not be viable wherever it may be raced.

Birmingham has the support to support speedway look at Buxton how many fans do they get. What Birmingham doesn’t have is the support to carry massive overheads..

Swindon would be the main beneficiaries if all the Brummies' results so far are expunged from the Elite League table as two mid-meeting abandonments mean the Robins haven't completed any meetings yet against Birmingham and, therefore, get the rest of the borderline playoff teams brought back towards them.

Leicester haven't met Birmingham at all while everyone else has 2 results against them except King's Lynn who have 3 results (including 2 away wins) but are so far clear at the top of the table that they can easily afford to have 10 points cut off their total.

Currently (Birmingham results still included) it's ...

KLynn 20 meetings 56 pts, Lake 19-36, Poole 15-30, Eastb 16-27, Cov 17-27, Wolv 18-25, Swin 15-20, BVue 17-15, Birm 15-12, Leics 16-10

If Birmingham's results are taken out, it's ...

KLynn 17-46, Lake 17-29, Poole 13-25, Eastb 14-24, Cov 15-24, Wolv 16-21, Swin 15-20, BVue 15-12, Leics 16-10

Edited by arthur cross

Maybe there will be other beneficiaries if and when the current Birmingham riders arrive on the market. Could change one or 2 teams into title contenders.

Maybe there will be other beneficiaries if and when the current Birmingham riders arrive on the market. Could change one or 2 teams into title contenders.

According to some the Birmingham team isn’t good enough as premier league contenders so god help any elite team that sign a Birmingham rider. or are you talking about one or 2 premier teams becoming title contenders

Edited by Pirio Barre

I think one or 2 of the Birmingham team are a little better than then current average

I think Birmingham Speedway accounts have to be filed within 4 weeks, could make interesting reading.

I think one or 2 of the Birmingham team are a little better than then current average

Absolutely, which is why i didn’t buy that Birmingham were a poor team at the start of the season, so many riders with the potential to improve, sadly for Birmingham they didn’t do it but given a fresh start who knows.

They might even help Belle Vue achive the long forgotten dream of making the play offs, ( opps, sorry I forgot they are only speedway riders not miracle workers, what is it 10 seasons this year? someone should make a ticker banner like they had at old trafford )

Edited by Pirio Barre

Birmingham has the support to support speedway look at Buxton how many fans do they get. What Birmingham doesn’t have is the support to carry massive overheads..

So perhaps Birmingham would be better off in the NL at a level they could afford, the Brummies aren't the only club with said overheads, we too race in a GRA stadium but have not got into this much of a financial mess, Theres been a lot in the speedway press from the Brummies promotion lamenting the lack of people coming through the turnstiles, that would indicate the city does not have the support in sufficient numbers, BV or Wolves would be a better comparison than buxton as those clubs pay rent and overheads in rented stadia and race at EL level

Belle vue now at Leicester on saturday instead of Birmingham

Shame Phillips didn't get into the old speedway betting, he could have saved the club maybe ....

I feel there are far more intelligent people then I ,making suggestions of real substance. I'm following the topic closely, hoping a solution can be found.

I can't help thinking, that a place as big as Birmingham should be able to support a speedway venture in large numbers. The fact that it isn't questions need to be asked why????