British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Or out with the dead wood that is Birmingham and Eastbourne allowing the rest of the EL to be, well, elite.

Tact not your forte is it ? or do you enjoy being rude

a 7 or 8 team league great stuff Im sure it will be a sensation

• Like 1

On the radio this morning.... Eastbourne looking for new owners and dropping to the Prem Lge next year

One big league next year??????????

will 2015 be 1965 all over again........... will this kickstart a revival in the sports fortunes????

The statement on the Eastbourne Eagles official website makes NO mention of the club going Premier League.

The statement implies that any such decision would be a matter for any new promoter or promoters.

Statement on club website is here

http://eastbourneeagles.co/news.php?extend.585

Edited by Son of Shaleman

How is this a better comparison when all you are doing is agreeing with my point, which is at the moment Birmingham cannot continue speedway when there overheads outweigh the income. Where as if they had a 500 people turning up to watch speedway at facility like Buxton, then the Birmingham support could finance speedway.

Maybe Birmingham’s problem has been showing some ambition, since 2007 there's has hardly been a year when they haven’t been in the play off’s or made a cup final.

Belle Vue might have it right by never offering any sign of ambition. That way their fans get use to it and turn up regardless and all credit to their fans for doing so. But honestly how can you take a sport seriously when a team is allowed to finish bottom of the table 3 times in 6 seasons but is still allowed to stay in the Elite league of that sport.

As for Perry Barr, Ommer um was pretty close with what he had to say, Birmingham fans might not like that it, but that’s the way it is.

Because the brummies are not in a facility like buxton and are riding at el level instead of nl, so the comparison is irrelevant, a more true comparison is with clubs with similar overheads and similar outgoings at the el level, if Birmingham were nl then yes they could sustain it. As Birmingham has lost the sport for many years it says something that there is not enough public support for the sport to thrive, as for Belle Vue showing no ambition well apart from an unbroken continuous run of speedway going back to 1928 there is the new stadium to look forward to and a better future, if that means weve had to sacrifice the past half dozen seasons to cut our cloth accordingly then so be it, its a better road to take than to throw money at it for a quick fix of success that ends in the club possibly being lost forever. And despite our wooden spoons we are still here and that is a club that has had a long history of success over its long lifespan.

• Like 3

On the radio this morning.... Eastbourne looking for new owners and dropping to the Prem Lge next year

will 2015 be 1965 all over again........... will this kickstart a revival in the sports fortunes????

Nothing can kick start speedway in the uk again ..sad but true . Be great for Eastie and the Elite League if they were to drop out as it has done both parties no good .

How can that happen when The BSPA have a contract with Sky to televise The Elite League?

One thing and one thing only will solve this situation, money.

Who are British Speedway's money men?

Terry Russell, Matt Ford, Tony Mole..? Not sure there are any others?

If they really wanted to save Brum they could do.

An interesting comment. In what way could those named save speedway?

By paying off the debts to the GRA and allowing the club to continue. As I said money is the only thing that will solve it.

I appreciate your feelings in this matter but why should other promoters bail out other clubs? It would be never ending - has it ever been adopted in another sport?

The loss of Birmingham is indeed a blow to the sport but it's not the first time the city has lost a track and bounced back in time. Just chack back through the years on the DEFUNCT SPEEDWAY TRACKS (I think that's the site's title). At the moment Birmingham may be out of the sport but I am certain in time the city will see the sport again.

I appreciate your feelings in this matter but why should other promoters bail out other clubs? It would be never ending - has it ever been adopted in another sport?

The loss of Birmingham is indeed a blow to the sport but it's not the first time the city has lost a track and bounced back in time. Just chack back through the years on the DEFUNCT SPEEDWAY TRACKS (I think that's the site's title). At the moment Birmingham may be out of the sport but I am certain in time the city will see the sport again.

What, just like london has!!!

Unlike London, Birmingham still has one motor sport venue operating. This has had speedway before (?) - may be a return there at say National League level? Just an idea.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/B.htm

Birmingham (Bordesley Green - The Wheels Project)

Birmingham (Hall Green)

Edited by Guest

Tact? How about a dose of reality. Birmingham are not going to be in the EL next season are they? Whatever the outcome of the next few weeks they're not going to be an EL team in 2015 so the EL has to work out how to move on from. We have suggestions that Eastbourne are going too. Now we can either sit around and claim the sport is imploding and thats ht end of it so lets give up now or accept that next years EL will be an 8 team league. With 8 teams you have less team places for the talent to fit into making teams stronger (less teams, the better the teams you have actually are).

It's not like 8 teams leagues are not viable, look at Poland, Sweden and even the EL in the past.

Unlike London, Birmingham still has one motor sport venue operating. This has had speedway before (?) - may be a return there at say National League level? Just an idea.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/B.htm

Birmingham (Bordesley Green - The Wheels Project)

Birmingham (Hall Green)

If you're thinking of Birmingham Wheels:

1) It's a complete dump

2) It was tarmac-ed years ago and is still an active stock car track

3) It's future is far from certain anyhow http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-21833246 (though this is now over 12 months old)

Edited by Man in black

Tact? How about a dose of reality. Birmingham are not going to be in the EL next season are they? Whatever the outcome of the next few weeks they're not going to be an EL team in 2015 so the EL has to work out how to move on from. We have suggestions that Eastbourne are going too. Now we can either sit around and claim the sport is imploding and thats ht end of it so lets give up now or accept that next years EL will be an 8 team league. With 8 teams you have less team places for the talent to fit into making teams stronger (less teams, the better the teams you have actually are).

It's not like 8 teams leagues are not viable, look at Poland, Sweden and even the EL in the past.

But we all know Sweden and Poland are set up differently from British Speedway (if only the short sighted men who started the sport here had set it up differently!!), I thought promoters wanted more meetings to justify their rent, hence going back to two home and away?

The most exciting days I remember was post-war with six sides in the National League meetwing twice at home and twice away. Good, well balanced teams and COMPETITIVE racing.

I wouldn't think Sky will lose much sleep over not having an EL to televise next year tbh...If it's down to 7 clubs the contract is off I believe anyway, so one league looking more and more likely...unless Uncle Len can ride to the rescue with his Kent Kings..the stadium is up to scratch after all...OR Cradley somehow sort out enough dates to run EL?

Edited by Mike.Butler

The most exciting days I remember was post-war with six sides in the National League meetwing twice at home and twice away. Good, well balanced teams and COMPETITIVE racing.

I also remember 1959 just 7 teams left, fans bored to death with the same teams week in week out, the sport almost dead, the Provincial League saved the sport. The amalgamation of the leagues in 1965 led to the boom years of the 60s and 70s.

I was at Brandon for the first British league match Cov v Cradley Heath, still have the prog, still remember Ivor Brown leading one of my all time favorites Nigel Boocock for 3 laps in the first Ht, much better racing than in the supposed good old days IMO. ;)

• Like 1

Or out with the dead wood that is Birmingham and Eastbourne allowing the rest of the EL to be, well, elite.

Keep thinking like that and you might have an Elite League of ONE!!! Now that would be very Elite - but - not much use. I only hope that no other Tracks from the Premier League are tempted to 'go up' to the Elite League as the same fate will probably beckon them.

Sadly the venture in to the Elite League has turned out to be a disaster for Birmingham.

I sincerely hope that we can welcome BOTH of these Tracks in to the Premier League next Season.- I really do hope a way can be found for Birmingham to do this.