British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Just for the record, it was the police officer himself who told us that Mr Phillips knew that we were coming. His actual words when we asked "how did you know we would be here" were "because you have a Judas in your camp."

Just for the record, it was the police officer himself who told us that Mr Phillips knew that we were coming. His actual words when we asked "how did you know we would be here" were "because you have a Judas in your camp."

. Let's be honest wheather a Phillips knew or not what difference did it make the mans a joke let's just hope someone will take it on next year because it is one of the best tracks in EL. Edited by tsc1

I think everyone should forget about Phillips he is a tool and tbh he has no business sense at all, he has ruined Birmingham Speedway but I am hopeful someone is going to take the club on and make a decent success of it.

Phillips the man who ruined Birmingham Speedway

• Like 1

. Let's be honest wheather a Phillips knew or not what difference did it make the mans a joke let's just hope someone will take it on next year because it is one of the best tracks in EL.

You don't want to go there. :nono: :nono:

That's what caused most of your problems in the first place. :nono: :nono:

You don't want to go there. :nono: :nono:

That's what caused most of your problems in the first place. :nono: :nono:

What are you on about ?, the track was perfectly fine and one of the better ones in the EL for actual racing than gate n go guff.

I'm fed of this myth that going up to the EL was the problem as people in the know have stated Birmingham Speedway can be made to work with the right management, the mistake was selling to a naive and ill equipped accountant from Solihull, who with hindsight, I'm convinced would have ruined us in the national league, let alone PL or EL.

While the what league question might well have relevance in future (though I remain to be convinced as many non hardcore fans will turn up for the PL, certainly the PL doesn't appear to be working for Peterborough) , I don't believe it was a contributing factor in our downfall, not so much as Alan Phllips being allowed to steer the ship solo, having disposed of everyone with any Speedway experience and his original partner in the club who provided plenty of the financial backing.

• Like 2

What are you on about ?, the track was perfectly fine and one of the better ones in the EL for actual racing than gate n go guff.

I'm fed of this myth that going up to the EL was the problem as people in the know have stated Birmingham Speedway can be made to work with the right management, the mistake was selling to a naive and ill equipped accountant from Solihull, who with hindsight, I'm convinced would have ruined us in the national league, let alone PL or EL.

While the what league question might well have relevance in future (though I remain to be convinced as many non hardcore fans will turn up for the PL, certainly the PL doesn't appear to be working for Peterborough) , I don't believe it was a contributing factor in our downfall, not so much as Alan Phllips being allowed to steer the ship solo, having disposed of everyone with any Speedway experience and his original partner in the club who provided plenty of the financial backing.

We must agree to differ.

The mistake was selling to a naive and ill equipped accountant from Solihull, who with hindsight, I'm convinced would have ruined us in the national league, let alone PL or EL.

100% correct.

Not so much as Alan Phllips being allowed to steer the ship solo, having disposed of everyone with any Speedway experience and his original partner in the club who provided plenty of the financial backing.

And that's why you'll find so much has been swept under the carpet in the hope that it will simply go away. What's more, it looks like that methodology has worked.

We must agree to differ.

Both Tony Mole and Drury have said Birmingham in the EL was viable and amazingly - Profitable! (when they were in charge).

It was Alan Phillips who killed Birmingham not the EL

• Like 1

We must agree to differ.

Before Birmingham who were the last club to close down? What league were they in? How often do you hear of EL clubs being in trouble and how often do you hear of PL clubs being in trouble? Don't fool yourself. British Speedway, regardless of league, is a mess.

Before Birmingham who were the last club to close down? What league were they in? How often do you hear of EL clubs being in trouble and how often do you hear of PL clubs being in trouble? Don't fool yourself. British Speedway, regardless of league, is a mess.

Well said.

More lower league clubs have shut down in recent times.

Ignored by those who conveniently slate the EL at any opportunity.

cough cough Newport, PL.

• Like 1

What league were Oxford in?

Have Reading been forgotten?

When there are rungs on the ladder below you then you can step down to a lower rung instead of jumping off. Eastbourne and Peterborough spring to mind.

In fact, you could argue that Frost closed Peterborough as an EL team and it took intervention from the present owners to bring it back to life in the PL

Don't think anyones disputing British Speedway has many problems that require urgent attention, but I'm convinced we'd be where we are now regardless of league, national league level may have delayed the inevitable a bit longer, but inevitable it would be under such poor stewardship IMO.

• Like 1

What league were Oxford in?

Have Reading been forgotten?

When there are rungs on the ladder below you then you can step down to a lower rung instead of jumping off. Eastbourne and Peterborough spring to mind.

In fact, you could argue that Frost closed Peterborough as an EL team and it took intervention from the present owners to bring it back to life in the PL

What league were IoW in? What league were Newport in? What do Reading have to do with clubs closing down due to lack of money? They had their stadium sold and the new one not built - that could happen to any club at any time. You say Eastbourne and Peterborough and I'll show you Leicester and Kings Lynn.

My point is that nobody is safe, nothing is good, nothing is better than anything else. Speedway needs to work together to fix itself rather than this pathetic them and us mentality that exists due to inverted snobbery from the PL.

I agree Speedway is in a mess, which is why I liked your Post. It just seems to me that the Elite League is in a bigger mess than the Premier League. You are watching NATIONAL League Racing for, at least part of your Meetings. Doubling Up Riders are getting out of hand and yet Elite League Clubs are fielding Premier League/National League Riders at Elite League Prices.

THAT to me is not a recipe for success. In fact, it is, in a way, ripping off the Supporters who turn up each week.

At least in the Premier League - when I go to watch my Team - I, by and large, get to see my Team and not a hotch potch of Riders riding to make the numbers up.

You will probably disagree with this and that is your prerogative.

• Like 1

From an away fan's perspective I'd like to add that it was a pleasure to follow the Brummies around all the PL tracks. It became a chore to follow them around the EL tracks, so much so that I turned from a 100% attender of away meetings to a never again attender of (EL) away meetings. Had more enjoyment out of becoming a "temporary" Plymouth and Ipswich fan on their northern tours of 2012 & 2013, respectively, than I could muster in my entire last season of following the Brummies in the EL in 2012.

Edited by uk martin