British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle Diamonds V Plymouth Devils 6th July 2014 Pl 6.30pm

And neither apparently can you :blink::P

Hahaha :)

How come as soon as we win something, everyone else complains? :sad:

Is it not the fact we have 2 GB internationals, the best captain in the league, a lightening swede, a good number 2 and an experienced reserve pairing (If Schramm ever comes back :( ) They can ride the track fine, so why can't anyone else? (Supposedly)

well I must say that the gp meet'n at Berwick was as good a watch'n paint dry as it was the same old gate and go on the ultra slick track as was the same again on sat when Plymouth were there, after talking to a Plymouth riders spanner man at brough pk on sunday he said that Berwick was supposed to be a racers track he was told ??. all tho it was a 1 sided contest on sunday at brough at least barker until injured and kyle newman like wise were very good and when pepe got sorted after his 1st heat, and our guest reserve simon Nielsen, could at least race on a well prepared track again,, I don't understand why other fans have a go at brough or as some redcar fans say ( rough ) there's always fast times and the 1st and 2nd bend must be 1 of the best lines to take of all the tracks in the league. so I say to all who call the track just remember that the great ivan mauger said that if you can ride brough pk you'll ride any other track with ease,

Ah yes - Ivan Mauger - 196? what was the year!!

Ah yes - Ivan Mauger - 196? what was the year!!

Does it matter, Ivan said it all the time, hence the reason we continued to get Kiwis recommended to start their careers at Brough. Same with our Danes, passed the word on to other Danes and they still kept coming.

Ronnie Moore (or was it Ron How or Barry Briggs?) said something similar about Edinburgh.

The thing is, that was back in the sixties.

And it was Old Meadowbank.

The Edinburgh track is a bit different now.

As I should think is Newcastle.

Ronnie Moore (or was it Ron How or Barry Briggs?) said something similar about Edinburgh.

Not much different, though.

Not really. Same old tight corners and long straights like it will always be. Like BV, constraints by a dog track limit what you can change. In the old days the track was flat, but now we dish out the inside line, to try and create some banking. I wanted us to raise the outside of the bends by about 18inches, but the stadium insisted that their punters must be able to see the doggies legs at all times when they were racing. So we had to dish it out to get the banking. Nothing much more can be changed, so it's basically still the track that Mauger rode, and who used to come and visit us unannounced to the crowd as least once a year. His opinion was always the same. He even visited out training session a few years ago (poss 2010) and was still the same opinion and was still enthusiastic about his former 'home'.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

I do wonder sometimes if bike technology has overtaken some of the tracks, with Brough Park being an example. The bikes have got faster and have become more difficult things to control (e.g. lay downs are much more powerful than uprights); while the older tracks have stayed the same.

Apart from everyone going back to Jawa 2-value engines from 1970, I'm not sure how you resolve this, because you can't do a lot to change tracks within stadiums which are not owned by the speedway.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

well I must say that the gp meet'n at Berwick was as good a watch'n paint dry as it was the same old gate and go on the ultra slick track as was the same again on sat when Plymouth were there, after talking to a Plymouth riders spanner man at brough pk on sunday he said that Berwick was supposed to be a racers track he was told ??. all tho it was a 1 sided contest on sunday at brough at least barker until injured and kyle newman like wise were very good and when pepe got sorted after his 1st heat, and our guest reserve simon Nielsen, could at least race on a well prepared track again,, I don't understand why other fans have a go at brough or as some redcar fans say ( rough ) there's always fast times and the 1st and 2nd bend must be 1 of the best lines to take of all the tracks in the league. so I say to all who call the track just remember that the great ivan mauger said that if you can ride brough pk you'll ride any other track with ease,

I fail to see what relevance the Berwick track has to this thread, and if I were using another track as a reference point to say “look at how things are there” it probably wouldn’t be the FIM approved track.

But if a meeting at Berwick is what impacts the Newcastle track I suppose that is another thing to add to the list.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 1

I fail to see what relevance the Berwick track has to this thread, and if I were using another track as a reference point to say “look at how things are there” it probably wouldn’t be the FIM approved track.

But if a meeting at Berwick is what impacts the Newcastle track I suppose that is another to add to the list.

I think you will find the relevance is because one of the complainers is from Berwick and stands with him. He jokes about our reference to the weather, but it was the same weather that has caused major probs for their FIM track with heavy rain and their use of sheets at FIM approved events. If it affects them, how can it not effect us and our track.

From what I have read the Berwick fan who attended the meeting (Newcastle v Plymouth) and commented on the track was actually a paying customer.

Labelling customers, tarring them with a brush or going on the defensive when they make a point regarding the product that they are watching doesn’t strike me as a particularly healthy attitude.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 1

From what I have read the Berwick fan who attended the meeting (Newcastle v Plymouth) and commented on the track was actually a paying customer.

Labelling customers, tarring them with a brush or going on the defensive when they make a point regarding the product that they are watching doesn’t strike me as a particularly healthy attitude.

Were you at Brough on Sunday?

Oh Dear.

Nobody has said or insisted that they can't have an opinion on the matter, Right.

Similarly, others are equally entitled to comment on another's opinion. It's a discussion forum FFS.

Were you at Brough on Sunday?

No

Oh Dear.

Nobody has said or insisted that they can't have an opinion on the matter, Right.

Similarly, others are equally entitled to comment on another's opinion. It's a discussion forum FFS.

That it is. The discussion might be a bit healthier if the Berwick fan (customer’s) comment is taken for what it is then rather than the need for the defensive attitude of some. :)

Edited by sparkafag

No

That it is. The discussion might be a bit healthier if the Berwick fan (customer’s) comment is taken for what it is then rather than the need for the defensive attitude of some. :)

Then you are hardly giving an informed opinion are you? You are taking advice from others who may, or may not have an axe to grind.

• Like 2