British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Eastbourne V King's Lynn 05/07/14

If they called the winners of the playoffs Elite Champions nobody would notice, then we're all happy!

I don't think the riders would treat the playoffs with contempt because they are bigged up and televised and of course the table toppers want to be Elite Champs as well. As soon as it is mathematically impossible for anyone else to top the league table then that team could be given their trophy, away from the tv cameras?

Trees, have you got a map in your motor? :)

Marc Owen guests in place of Lewis Rose this evening.

Take That Eastie . i reckon he's going to shine

• Like 4

Rugby League & Rugby Union.

To me is not the fairest way to decide who are champions BUT its been this way for twelve seasons now, its nothing new and everyone knew the rules before the season started, and its a winner with Sky as well as the punters who fill stadiums for play offs year after year.

I think its important though to recognise the achievement of the team who does top the pile each year, however that may be.

Was at the Rugby Union play-off final at Twickenham to see the team that finished second in the table beat the stand out team of the year Saracens, having finished 9 points behind them. A last second controversial score decided the final. Harsh on Saracens, but you can,t beat that kind of sporting drama. In football the top of the Premier League has quite often had a runaway leader, and then focus goes on to which teams will finish in the top 4. Without the play-offs in speedway this season would be pretty much all over for everyone except Stars as there is no champions league to qualify for and no relegation to battle against, so teams would just be playing out their fixtures while riders would focus their attention on foreign leagues where their teams still have a chance of winning something.

The fact that finishing 4th gives you a crack at being champions mean that every meeting is vital for teams from 2nd down to 8th at the moment, which if Stars were in those positions we would not be questioning the play-off system.

similar system applies in the British speedway championship meeting where there is a semi final and final, rather than top point scorer from the heats being crowned champion. Right or wrong, I don't know but it makes for more sporting drama,

• Like 1

I like the idea of a reward for finishing top.

However the only trophy that MEANS anything is the Play off title

your right but i dont agree with it.

the team that finishes top can sometimes be punished as ateam that can scrape into the top 4 will have made changes and peaked at the right time.

Look at last season Birmingham were punsihed for being the best side all season and it was blatantly obvious that which ever one of Poole or Peterborough got in the top 4 would win the play offs.

I understand it generates money and i understand its exciting but if this season Lynn are beaten in the play off final by say a Coventry or even your Wolves i think it is a totak miscarriage of justice.

• Like 1

It's basically a choice between fairness & drama. I think the state the sport find itself in nowadays it can ill afford to not have Play Offs but finishing top should still carry some sort of recognition.

I Pray you are right.

• Like 1

It's basically a choice between fairness & drama. I think the state the sport find itself in nowadays it can ill afford to not have Play Offs but finishing top should still carry some sort of recognition.

I Pray you are right.

And Stars will Rule the World

Weather forecast is worrying.

Naturally I want the Stars to win tonight or at least pck a point up but from now on I think we should be looking at the bigger picture more so when we ride away after all it's all about the play offs we already should be thinking who we can do over two legs in the semi . Eastbourne is a possible semi final opponent so after tonight meeting we ridden them home and away let's see what the agg score would be .

Marc Owen tonight Let's PRAY he can notch a couple.

All this talk about the team finishing top should be champs only happens in Sport. Speedway is in the entertainment business that's why we have such things as jokers and Guests. It's not a what I would call a serious Sport

Forecast a fine day in most areas after early morning rain.. Sporting event at Tennis and F1 should have no worries....

So bearing that in mind, Eastbourne should be OK.

If it was Poole it maybe suggest a spot of COULD IT BE MAGIC

After all IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE

I'll get me coat

Forecast a fine day in most areas after early morning rain.. Sporting event at Tennis and F1 should have no worries....

So bearing that in mind, Eastbourne should be OK.

BBC weather forecast for Eastbourne is rain for 7pm through to 9pm. Hope that's wrong then. Still going down as I would have missed several meetings if I had based attendance on the BBC forecast.

TV forecast just said odd showers so who knows. breezy though so probably move through quickly.

Last time I saw him at eastie he got R,R,R and didnt complete a lap so who knows