British Speedway Forum
Trees

Encouraging Young People To Become Fans!

Young people do not like speedway because it's not a continuous event. The delay - unavoidable of course - between each race tends to annoy them.

It annoys me and I"m 55.Certain delays can be avoidable. Break the tapes have the 2nd set ready ....racing in 1 min and do not go back to the pits

• Like 1

I go to Leiccester Lions with my 9 year old grandson and he loves it. Not sure if it is with it being on a Saturday night with no school the day after but the Lions have quite a strong base of younger memebers there.

• Like 1

Not sure I would appreciate a load of teenagers loitering on the terraces with their side partings and espadrilles. Speedway is ideal for the mature sports fan and we should embrace the anoraks, badges, plastic bags and flasks.

I was at Rye House on Saturday night and the old lady next to me smelt of Murray Mints which is far more preferable than Obsession for Men or whatever it is the kids wear these days.

• Like 2

Not sure I would appreciate a load of teenagers loitering on the terraces with their side partings and espadrilles. Speedway is ideal for the mature sports fan and we should embrace the anoraks, badges, plastic bags and flasks.

I was at Rye House on Saturday night and the old lady next to me smelt of Murray Mints which is far more preferable than Obsession for Men or whatever it is the kids wear these days.

I think the point is , how do we replace the over 50's over the next 10 or 20 years

• Like 1

I think the point is , how do we replace the over 50's over the next 10 or 20 years

With more over 50's - I hope. :t:

I think it's down to promoters, just not promoting!!!

Sitting back and expecting fans and new fans to just appear....

There's no newspaper adverts these days, ok, the odd school fete appearance, and anything that's free, but would it hurt to pay for some sort of advertising?

Crikey, people have so much to choose from entertainment wise these days and probably base the product on the quality of its adverts..

• Like 2

Too true.

You never see kids out playing these days - much to the detriment of their Health. :sad: :sad:

Mind you - they will have the fittest THUMBS ever. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I watched a lad delivering a free paper earlier on our industrial estate. His mum drove him into every car park and right up to each factory door as she does every week! The xbox generation; unbelievable!!

I think it's down to promoters, just not promoting!!!Sitting back and expecting fans and new fans to just appear....There's no newspaper adverts these days, ok, the odd school fete appearance, and anything that's free, but would it hurt to pay for some sort of advertising?Crikey, people have so much to choose from entertainment wise these days and probably base the product on the quality of its adverts..

If you want to attract a younger crowd, then im not sure print ads are the way to go. Social media advertising could be done effectively, for free or at a very low cost.

• Like 1

The average age of a speedway fan is rising, It's only a matter of time that these older people have to start cutting back on finances and speedway hasn't tackled the issue of attracting young people to the sport and this is down to many reasons but the major ones revolve around value for money.

Me and Laura (GF) attended a speedway meeting last month and It cost us £75 in terms of travel, tickets and a bit to eat and quite simply, for 16,17 and 18 year olds; there isn't the level of disposable income to justify this and the value for money argument is a big one; 15 races spread out over 2 hours usually in the freezing climate isn't great value for money.

I recently attended a Kasabian concert and It cost me and Laura £85 for the night out but we got full value for money, Around 2 hours of pure concentrated music and there wasn't a 5 minute gap between each song.

My solution is to get rid of the star riders, Price speedway at £5 for Adults and £1 for Under 18's, most of the general public don't even know who these star riders are.

What are the pricing like in GB for kids/teens?

My team charges £17 for adults (£15 for pre-purchase), £13 for students (ages 17-19) and people aged 65+ although Id is required to get discount.

youngsters aged 12-16 pays £5 and kids younger then 12 enter for free.

Our meetings also starts half an hour earlier then yours and we also have speedway schools for kids which also attracts them to the regular meetings.

I'm always amazed that when I go to a tourist information office or motorway services there are hundreds of leaflets for pottery museums, miniature railways and cat shelters but none for any nearby speedway tracks.

I'm also a fan of drag racing and you will see leaflets for Santa Pod in almost every motorway services in the country and drag racing is even more of a minority sport in this country than speedway.

These leaflets cost pennies these days with digital printing. Even if the promoters can't afford this (!) ask a heat sponsor to pay for it instead of a heat.

• Like 1

If you want to attract a younger crowd, then im not sure print ads are the way to go. Social media advertising could be done effectively, for free or at a very low cost.

"I am not sure" print ads are the way forward....

Local Newspaper, Radio, TV...

They have to be worth go's, surely......?

As a starting point.... And Sony forget, there's not many young promoters... A closed shop of old fogies seem to rule the Speedway roost ...........

What are the pricing like in GB for kids/teens?

My team charges £17 for adults (£15 for pre-purchase), £13 for students (ages 17-19) and people aged 65+ although Id is required to get discount.

youngsters aged 12-16 pays £5 and kids younger then 12 enter for free.

Our meetings also starts half an hour earlier then yours and we also have speedway schools for kids which also attracts them to the regular meetings.

Coventry Elite League prices are pretty similar to yours. There is nearly always a second half with youngsters riding in the MDL too so better value than some tracks.

ADULTS £17

OAPS/STUDENTS £13

CHILDREN (UNDER 16) £3

CHILDREN (UNDER 11) FREE

Programme: £2.50

I watched a lad delivering a free paper earlier on our industrial estate. His mum drove him into every car park and right up to each factory door as she does every week! The xbox generation; unbelievable!!

Would I NO!