British Speedway Forum
marko

Music With No Imagination

Having now experienced various speedway tracks via the likes of sky and bet365 Why is it that all the tracks all seem to play the same stuff? I don't mean the music in between the heats but the music chosen for riders when they win a race or music for when a team gets a 5-1 or the music before the first race.

Did the bspa simply say to all clubs here is a load of different songs, you must use these?

Why cant clubs be more unique, the only exception i found is Davey Watt's heat winning theme ("David Watts" by the Kinks)

How many riders for example have or have had Blink 182 "Girl at the rock show" as their theme?

Everyone plays the same thing, no uniqueness, no imagination.

Why is it that all the tracks all seem to play the same stuff?

Did the bspa simply say to all clubs here is a load of different songs, you must use these?

So are they the same or different?

What a daft thread!

Wham, wake me up before you go now playing at Stoke. Don't know if it's deliberate, as no passing yet

Having now experienced various speedway tracks via the likes of sky and bet365 Why is it that all the tracks all seem to play the same stuff? I don't mean the music in between the heats but the music chosen for riders when they win a race or music for when a team gets a 5-1 or the music before the first race.

Why cant clubs be more unique, the only exception i found is Davey Watt's heat winning theme ("David Watts" by the Kinks)

How many riders for example have or have had Blink 182 "Girl at the rock show" as their theme?

I take it you havent been to T20 cricket then ? ;)

"David Watts" is a song by The Jam not the Kinks.......and Poole used to play it when Davey won a race way back in 2010.

Poole also play "Magic" by Pilot when Magic Janowski wins a race.

Edited by scottyfan

"David Watts" is a song by The Jam not the Kinks..

The version by The Jam is a cover version , The Kinks recorded the original

• Like 2

The version by The Jam is a cover version , The Kinks recorded the original

Have to say I have never heard the Kinks version.........They only ever played the Jam version at Poole :t:

Edited by scottyfan

A good example of something personal to a rider was when we (Lakeside) had Christian Hefonbrock and they used Wunderbar by temple tudor as his theme.

PK has when at Wolves i think they used to play super trooper by Abba, again it works well.

All i am saying is it would not hurt meeting presentation if a bit of thought went into things like this because it seems bar the odd exception clubs have just taken the exact same seven songs and given them to their riders at random instead of thinking what would be a apt song for this guy.

I like the old school way of doing things where different clubs had a different way of doing presentation, do Rye House for example still come out to "those magnificent men"? i know its not a great song but its an association, Hackney always used to come out to the "magnificent seven".

I will take my hat off to Kings Lynn because they come out to "Written in the Stars" which is not only a good song but also very appropriate.

You are lucky you get riders tunes when they win a race, Somerset used to do it, but a few seasons back they decided against it along with the jingles, which was a shame as now there is little atmosphere, a great race track, great facility's, but needs to improve presentation.

Have to say I have never heard the Kinks version.........They only ever played the Jam version at Poole :t:

Now for 'Something Else'

We need to be exploring any avenue to make the sport more attractive to the kids. I'm into my 50s now and I find some of the stuff being played old hat. I noticed at Coventry recently that some of the music was from the 1950s.

As you look around the terraces these days (including Cradley) you will see a significant proportion of silver haired fans. I think the lack of full paying 'adults' was one of the reasons for Birmingham's problems.

The Promoters really do need to wake up and do more to target the younger brigade or the sport could well be on the way out in 10 years (or sooner!).

you can only go by experience, and i was gripped as a kid, i loved the smell, colour, arguments, collecting a different riders coloured photo every week, making a scrapbook...would kids do scrapbooks these days?...the stadia wasnt important to me, it was wanting my team to win, music helps build the tension i suppose..getting a riders autograph in the programme when they had a full page picture, with a autograph bit at bottom of page

was brill getting the weekly speedway star, especially if your rider/team was on front page, preferred speedway star when front back page had full colour foto with no print over it

• Like 1

seems quaint in this day and age but at Poole last week I saw a father towards the front of the man stand hail the speedway Star seller chap; As he purchased this weeks copy the young 'un with him was thrilled to be shown the colour photo of the Pirates team inside which seemed to seal the sale.. It was as though the boy had never seen a picture such as this...takes me back to the 70's when as a teenager a picture of Steve Weatherley on the front meant 100's of copies were sold at Arlington that particular week.

• Like 2

seems quaint in this day and age but at Poole last week I saw a father towards the front of the man stand hail the speedway Star seller chap; As he purchased this weeks copy the young 'un with him was thrilled to be shown the colour photo of the Pirates team inside which seemed to seal the sale.. It was as though the boy had never seen a picture such as this...takes me back to the 70's when as a teenager a picture of Steve Weatherley on the front meant 100's of copies were sold at Arlington that particular week.

think a clear front page would clearly look better on the shelves in newsagents as well, it stands out more

• Like 1