British Speedway Forum
T.N.T.

Eastbourne - Housing Plans

May not be in the near future but when you look at the land around Arlington, like Coventry at Brandon then you can see how much these sites would be worth to Housing Associations and money any owner would be crazy to turn down even if they loved the sport.

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local/speedway-stadium-could-be-developed-for-housing-1-6158499

Did Dugard make the same threat when Terry Russell bought the promoting riders about 10 years ago?

I dont get why you'd build houses on Eastbourne Speedway. There no end of empty fields for miles around the place that you could build on.

Edited by SCB

It's brownfield land, much easier to gain permission and develop on than greenfield. Based on the numbers in the article, would you keep running speedway at 200k annual loss (with the hassle), or sell and bank £15-20m?

It's brownfield land, much easier to gain permission and develop on than greenfield. Based on the numbers in the article, would you keep running speedway at 200k annual loss (with the hassle), or sell and bank £15-20m?

That's a hard one to answer....for about 2 seconds. ;)

Back in 1998 the Witches fans had a little thing for a ticker tape celebration.

At Eastbourne this was banned under the guise that the land was designated an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Surely building would not be sanctioned in such a location?

I would be surprised if houses were built here several projects in and around Eastbourne have stopped as they cant sell the houses they have built. Then again if these house builders built more houses for first time buyers then maybe they'd have more success. If I'm honest it's not the first time this has come up and doubt it will be the last and seriously think they would struggle to get planning permission even though it is a brownfield site.

I would be surprised if houses were built here several projects in and around Eastbourne have stopped as they cant sell the houses they have built. Then again if these house builders built more houses for first time buyers then maybe they'd have more success. If I'm honest it's not the first time this has come up and doubt it will be the last and seriously think they would struggle to get planning permission even though it is a brownfield site.

how is this a brownfield site? not sure of the exact meaning but theres no housing or factories

• Like 1

May not be in the near future but when you look at the land around Arlington, like Coventry at Brandon then you can see how much these sites would be worth to Housing Associations and money any owner would be crazy to turn down even if they loved the sport.

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local/speedway-stadium-could-be-developed-for-housing-1-6158499

You could probably argue the same about the Abbey..

Back in 1998 the Witches fans had a little thing for a ticker tape celebration.

At Eastbourne this was banned under the guise that the land was designated an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Cough splutter.. :D Hark, i hear the sound of a lesser spotted Dugard... :rofl:

Edited by Starman2006

Did Dugard make the same threat when Terry Russell bought the promoting riders about 10 years ago?

I dont get why you'd build houses on Eastbourne Speedway. There no end of empty fields for miles around the place that you could build on.

Uncle Bob doesn't own the fields for miles around. Just the ones around the track. It was only a matter of time.

on the opposite side of the road there is a field in which there is a building that contains the plant equipment for maintaining the track/stadium. It has a big sign with the Dugard name on it. A public footpath runs through what is a large field, assume from this if he owns the whole field.

Edited by Mike.Butler

on the opposite side of the road there is a field in which there is a building that contains the plant equipment for maintaining the track/stadium. It has a big sign with the Dugard name on it. A public footpath runs through what is a large field, assume from this if he owns the whole field.

So who's right out of you two, or are you both guessing.. I would side with the later..

Last time he tried for planning permission it was refused as the council wouldn't allow major development west of the A22 That was about 2007 give or take a year or two

Have Eastbourne ever had really good crowds ?.....I know back in 1992 under the old Wimbledon promotion the crowds were pretty dire and the riders were told to basically half their wages mid season or they would shut there and then...and that's over 20 years ago...so things don't seem to improved much in that time

It is quite remote for housing though isn't it..my memories are off driving past field after field before dropping onto the stadium in the middle of nowhere, like Berrington Lough...might be my memory playing tricks though.

Uncle Bob doesn't own the fields for miles around. Just the ones around the track. It was only a matter of time.

Yeah, so what does that tell you. Bob thinks he's going to get permission to build houses on his speedway track but for years there have been empty fields that people must have surely at some point thought, "you know what, I'm going to build houses here and make my millions" but they haven't. Why? Bob isn't some canny businessman whos just suddenly had this really amazing and unique idea to build houses in Arlington!