British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

The Difference In Attendances At Tracks

This year seems to be one of the worst for low attendances at certain tracks to the extent where clubs are being forced to close or sell (Birmingham, Eastbourne & also reported low crowds at Peterborough)

Yet some clubs like Coventry & Kings Lynn have had good crowds still. Most meetings at Coventry have been busy even when we haven't got a full team.

Why do you think it is that fans in certain areas are not attending? Can understand with eastbourne as too many meetings against heavy depleted teams but Birmingham were top of league for most of last season and still low crowds?

It's not about the winning but apparently winning teams are better supported (didn't happen for Swindon since their title winning season or Brummies who finished top of the pile last year).

For me, it's about value for money primarily. Also having guests or RR and an inconsistent meeting schedule means that people have found better things to do with their money on speedway night. The FTR was the final nail in the coffin for me. There are many that eel the same as I do (and many who don't) but at the end of the day what have promoters done to get people back or new people in??

Edited by Steve0

It's not about the winning but apparently winning teams are better supported (didn't happen for Swindon since their title winning season or Brummies who finished top of the pile last year).

For me, it's about value for money primarily. Also having guests or RR and an inconsistent meeting schedule means that people have found better things to do with their money on speedway night. The FTR was the final nail in the coffin for me. There are many that eel the same as I do (and many who don't) but at the end of the day what have promoters done to get people back or new people in??

FTR?

This year seems to be one of the worst for low attendances at certain tracks to the extent where clubs are being forced to close or sell (Birmingham, Eastbourne & also reported low crowds at Peterborough)

Yet some clubs like Coventry & Kings Lynn have had good crowds still. Most meetings at Coventry have been busy even when we haven't got a full team.

Why do you think it is that fans in certain areas are not attending? Can understand with eastbourne as too many meetings against heavy depleted teams but Birmingham were top of league for most of last season and still low crowds?

The stupid rules within the Sport means Team Speedway cannot be taken seriously is a good start.
  • Like 6

I've gone a lot less since the 'joker' rule came in, it makes the sport look like 'it's a knock out'. Although to be honest I've not minded the Fast Track riders, at least there is the chance of a new crop of British youngsters coming through.

• Like 1

There isn't much going on in Kings Lynn so It's no suprise they get good crowds, Coventry is the same and the lack of night-life is apparent but the biggest factor is disposable income.

Lynn is home to a lot of the middle-class farmers while Peterborough for example has a migrant population of 73% and these migrants are often in low income jobs.

Edited by Jepsen Jensen Racing

The guests and R/R situation needs to resolved, the public find it very strange that a rider from a rival club can guest for you. FTD is a good move but that will also need a bit of tinkering. Coventry have a long history of having a team which helps crowd levels, im sure most of the local population know of the Coventry Bees.

There isn't much going on in Kings Lynn so It's no suprise they get good crowds, Coventry is the same and the lack of night-life is apparent but the biggest factor is disposable income.

Lynn is home to a lot of the middle-class farmers while Peterborough for example has a migrant population of 73% and these migrants are often in low income jobs.

Not much going on in Coventry? Coventry has lots of sports teams ( i will still include ccfc) and although i rarely go out into town anymore it seems a few bars and resturants have opened recently. Coventry also has a large migrant population, the City has the 2nd biggest population increase in Britain after London mainly from migrants.

The guests and R/R situation needs to resolved, the public find it very strange that a rider from a rival club can guest for you. FTD is a good move but that will also need a bit of tinkering. Coventry have a long history of having a team which helps crowd levels, im sure most of the local population know of the Coventry Bees.

Never stopped people going in the old days when Guests were still used ..it's a myth to say people don't go anymore because of that .

• Like 1

as for r/r i can tell you me and my pals 3 will not pay top dollar to see less riders that is usual glas/edin / berw as we will not turn up to any track

Never stopped people going in the old days when Guests were still used ..it's a myth to say people don't go anymore because of that .

However guests were an 'exception' rather than the 'rule' that sadly it has become, with some matches now having 50% of the competitors on show belonging to 'someone else'....

For me last years' EL play offs were a glaring example of how farcical it now is trying to keep any integrity within League speedway in this country....

Watching Troy Batchelor's Swindon team getting knocked out in the play offs by Poole when a few weeks previous I had watched him on Sky top scoring in a 46 -44 win for Poole against Wolves, really brought it home what a farce it is to run a team sport with such rules..

Basically, by his actions that night Batchelor made a massive contribution in reducing his own, his teams, and his fans chances of winning the EL title as quite simply without his efforts in that match Poole would subsequently not have qualified for the play offs...

The sport isn't taken seriously by the national media and many of its own 'die hard' fans have become disillusioned with it and voted with their feet accordingly.......

Well, any sport that allows, by its own rules, the delivery of the situation above, can hardly wonder why really can it?...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

Crowds are down at Swindon as there is so much to do there is no time for speedway. Also the 99% Afro/Asian population only likes cricket and football, Christ knows how the ice hockey club flourishes. Also the massive surrounding farming population of Wilts /Berks/ Glos/ Oxon cannot afford fuel for their tractors to get to the stadium. It is almost impossible to climb in now because of the securityAlso some fans are scared to use the notorious back-straight bogs. These are what I would class as the main factors for lower crowds

However guests were an 'exception' rather than the 'rule' that sadly it has become, with some matches now having 50% of the competitors on show belonging to 'someone else'....

For me last years' EL play offs were a glaring example of how farcical it now is trying to keep any integrity within League speedway in this country....

Watching Troy Batchelor's Swindon team getting knocked out in the play offs by Poole when a few weeks previous I had watched him on Sky top scoring in a 46 -44 win for Poole against Wolves, really brought it home what a farce it is to run a team sport with such rules..

Basically, by his actions that night Batchelor made a massive contribution in reducing his own, his teams, and his fans chances of winning the EL title as quite simply without his efforts in that match Poole would subsequently not have qualified for the play offs...

The sport isn't taken seriously by the national media and many of its own 'die hard' fans have become disillusioned with it and voted with their feet accordingly.......

Well, any sport that allows, by its own rules, the delivery of the situation above, can hardly wonder why really can it?...

Poole were probably paying him..the financial problems at Swindon last year and non-trying by riders is well-known unfortunately

Edited by Mad Moose

Crowds are down at Swindon as there is so much to do there is no time for speedway.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO never, Orion would never agree with that.... :rofl:

Edited by Starman2006

As I said there were plenty of matches in the old days when riders done the same as Troy Batchelor new I remember riders getting teams into ko cup finals by guesting only for that team going on to beat the riders parent club in the final it's nothing new .

As I said there were plenty of matches in the old days when riders done the same as Troy Batchelor new I remember riders getting teams into ko cup finals by guesting only for that team going on to beat the riders parent club in the final it's nothing new .

Can you remember that, Orion, you lying about your age again !!! :rofl: