British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Cheating In Speedway?

It's been tried, it's been tested, and that's the end of the story.

And you can smell it ...

No riders would ever cheat because they're all "lovely lads".

Lying down in the corner when your team mates behind forcing a rerun..... is it cheating, or making the most of the rules.....

And you can smell it ...

All depends how and when it's used, but with the strict testing and punishment on offer, would surely take a fool to use it!! Anyone know what the current punishment is for anyone caught using it.

Ive never once heard anyone condemn Joe Screen doing it in the race when Mark Loram won the World Championship. He clearly shut off on the 2nd bend and let Mark pass him to get the 2nd he needed to guarentee the title.

It's not illegal it's called team riding. :wink:

Edited by pugwash

Lying down in the corner when your team mates behind forcing a rerun..... is it cheating, or making the most of the rules.....

It's cheating. But to some the punishment is worth it. Patrick Head (F1 technical guy) once said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "They make the rules, it's my job to push them to the limit and beyond if I can".

It's cheating. But to some the punishment is worth it. Patrick Head (F1 technical guy) once said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "They make the rules, it's my job to push them to the limit and beyond if I can".

Did he not also say 'To go beyond were no man has gone before'?

All depends how and when it's used, but with the strict testing and punishment on offer, would surely take a fool to use it!! Anyone know what the current punishment is for anyone caught using it.

surely no rider would use ilegal fuel in this day and age?....regarding punishment, if Kennetts punishment is anything to go by then a tasty ban would be in order but like I say surely no rider would get caught in this day and age.

Im not sure how much proper cheating actually goes do

yes we have all seen a rider all off and take a sneaky look,rolling starts,blasting through the tapes etc but isn`t that all part of the game

' Proper cheating" use of drills,bigger engines odd squirt of Nitro etc has i`m sure been done in the past but i`m not sure how much this goes on really

One thing that did make me think though is i took a bit of a petrol head to a Scunny meeting a few months ago and he asked me if riders used nitro,,,,when i replied no and asked why he replied " cos i can smell it!!!!

if it was a Scunny rider it didnt do much good as we lost!!!

Paul Starke got fined for it at Plymouth recently.

I've noticed more and more at Redcar over the last couple of seasons riders going through the tapes on purpose to make a change or have a rider going off a statistically better gate.

Sometimes it's obvious that a team will do it. I (along with others around me) predicted that Williamson would when Scunthorpe visited a couple of weeks back and, sure enough, the tapes were broke. Coincidence?

I seem to recall a meeting vs Workington a while ago that saw both sides doing it.

Did he not also say 'To go beyond were no man has gone before'?

Is that what Matt Ford says? :D

Paul Starke got fined for it at Plymouth recently.

now there's a one,,, seemingly at Berwick v Newcastle last season, can't prove anything, but did look a little bit suspicious ;-)

Ive never once heard anyone condemn Joe Screen doing it in the race when Mark Loram won the World Championship. He clearly shut off on the 2nd bend and let Mark pass him to get the 2nd he needed to guarentee the title.

wrong race. That was a heat Mark needed to come second in to progress. Screen let him through then repeatedly blocked any attempt from a young Jarek Hampel to pass

That put Mark into the semis where he came 3rd then needed 2nd in the consolation final which he did behind Golllob in front of Wiltshire and Gustafsson. Your point is valid though as if Mark was 3rd behind Screeny he wouldnt have progressed