British Speedway Forum
pvm

Boris Johnson-european Speech

you know how small this sport is, when someone famous mention speedway, and everyone get excited about it!

you know how small this sport is, when someone famous mention speedway, and everyone get excited about it!

I'm afraid you are right - BUT - every little helps. :t:

• Like 1

Just watching Boris giving a speech on Europe, and his opening comments were about his recent flight back from Poland sat with a group of British Speedway fans coming back from the SWC. He then mentioned about not knowing what the sport of speedway was until that point, and the fact Team GB came last .

Now that he knows about the sport of speedway, and it's fresh in the mind, might it not be a good idea to remind him of former London Teams, and maybe someone from the BSPA to invite him to Cardiff.

Hmm, now don't get me wrong I quite like Boris (as I'm sure most people do) so I'm certainly not slagging hinm off over this - but it does intrigue me how a Londoner of such prominence as he is claims to know nothing about Speedway..

Surely anyone of his age with a personal and professional interest in London must be aware that a major sport in London in the post war era (and I mean post war up to the late '70s...) was stadium-based motorcycle racing: ie Speedway?

Is Boris also going to claim he's not heard of Greyhound Racing either?

The other week I was listening (as I do when I can most days) to Robert Elms' show on BBC Radio London. Now Robert is THE professional Londoner and his show is an amazing barrage of 'stuff' about London, day in day out: there's no other overarching subject: it's ABOUT London. Robert was talking about a place he went, he thought it was in Hackney Wick, when a youngster where some motor sport was going on... What was the sport; where was the stadium.?

FFS - well, callers put him right (I got through but didn't get on air!) - that it was Speedway. And Robert then waxed lyrical on the general subject of not knowing much about Speedway..!

Amazing how people seemed to have missed the influence of the sport in the capital city..! Like those people who tell the history of Wembley Stadium without mentioning what were, without question, the two sports which attracted the most spectators there over the years, in terms of total annual numbers, Speedway and the Dogs..!

I've done a few PR events involving Boris Johnson in London. Whilst I am some distance from him politically, I have to admit he is one of the most charismatic people I have ever met. He is also a quite brilliant orator, one who can charm any audience from fellow politicians to young children. It's what makes him so powerful and potentially, so dangerous. As for his involvement with speedway, I think it best he is ushered back to his blissful ignorance. Speedway takes up land and not very profitable land either. I suspect Boris would see all speedway venues as possible capital and housing projects. Do we want a country of Shards?